New To Me 5.9

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Travelergypsy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey everyone,
I know. It's another "new to me" thread... But here goes.

I purchased a 2005 Ram 2500 today with high miles: 243k.
I know I'm probably looking at some work here in the near future. Can you guys help give me a heads up on what I'm looking at, and what preventative maintenance I should start doing to it.
Thanks!

Diller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins
I needed new injectors at 250K and have been replacing wear items as they come up. So far between 250K and 300K I have done injectors, steering box, PS pump, harmonic balancer, brake pads/rotors, and alternator.

These trucks are pretty good at letting you know what they need. Not to many hidden issues that will bite you before you have a chance to fix them. Good fuel and oil and you should be covered for the basic stuff. Make sure to use the lowest micron fuel filter you can find.

BWC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Its hard to say what you could be needing in the future. A lot of it depends on the history of the truck and how it was used

adrian_cast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Same here. I just bought an ‘07 2500 5.9L w 196,000. I’m changing oil and oil pan seal, transmission fluid, fuel pump filter, transmission pan seal, rear shocks, steering damper shock, A/C condenser, rear brake pads and rotors, rear diff fluid and new driveshaft.

Soon: all ball joints, front shocks, front brakes, front diff fluid, transfer case fluid.