New to Ram... thoughts..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

af2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I never thought I would buy a Ram 1500 Bighorn Hemi 5.7L. I love it. i know how these forums work, where when someone asks a very specific question it can be almost impossible to answer because there are SO many variables out there. There simply is no 'right' answer.

With this, I'm looking for reassurance / thoughts that i made the right purchase. I don't haul much, am pretty much a 'drive to work kind of person', and love having a truck simply because i love trucks.

So... the Hemi 5.7. Fuel consumption... MPG... V6 is more 'economical', 'better on gas', you know the routine.

Using several online calculators I've come up with an average price of paying an extra $700 a year in gas for 15,000 miles with the v8 versus had i bought the v6. i don't know how accurate these numbers are to be honest and they could be completely skewed.

its inevitable the v8 WILL use more gas than the v6. I'm not expecting gold from mud.

But looking for ideas from all of you pros out there... especially people who own a Hemi 5.7L, yet don't REALLLLLy need one.... are you breaking the bank with fill ups? do you wish you bought the v6?

its not that i can't afford the gas, its just the thought of filling up so often and for so much that I'm thinking, "Ok.. ill just drive slower and more efficiently to get better MPG's."

the common denominator online from other forums is, "You'll love the v8 when you really need the power."

Well... i don't think ill ever NEED v8 on the highway going to work. again, i love my purchase and the truck. its incredible. just looking for thoughts out there from Ram people who have lived with them much longer than me.

Thanks!

Russellm0704

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi I 5.7
Everything is relative. If you never owned a v8 and you feel the v6 gives you plenty of power for your needs then go right ahead. I went down from a v8 to a v6 (midsize truck) and I got rid of that v6 less than 4 months after purchasing it. Once you get used to a v8 it is hard to go down in my opinion.

What I always tell people is that if you are actually concerned about your fuel economy, you wouldn't even be looking at full size trucks in the first place.

OP
OP
af2018

af2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Ram people!

please prepare yourself for an onslaught of questions BWAH HAHAHhahahaha..cough cough... hahahahahahahaaa

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well if the truth were to be told I don't need a truck either. I really just need a big trunk.

I do drive a lot of miles for business. Usually long Interstate trips. 300-2000 miles.

I have been a Toyota and Honda guy for the last 20 years. was worried I'd start having problems with other brands.

In 2014 I purchased a new Bighorn. Great truck, kept it 4 years then thought I wanted something that would fit in the garage and my wife could feel comfortable driving so I bought a 2018 Highlander.

I drove the Highlander for about 6 months and it was a great SUV but I did not like driving it. Missed driving a truck. I also missed riding up high and being able to hide all my work junk underneath my tonneau.

So after 6 months I traded in the Highlander on a 2019 Laramie. Love the ride and height. Now I look forward to road trips again.

I drive enough miles and my vehicle is important to me so the difference in gas cost I can justify.

Besides that there's nothing more fun than hearing that Hemi fire up.

Good luck!

0d1955636dca4536d0c08832f603f032.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
af2018

af2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve never ever thought “you know, this is too much power, I better get rid of two cylinders” haha

I Bleed Ram Trucks

I hear the Ram has the ability to turn off 2 cylinders dependent on speed/RPM (of course, everyone on line has their own opinion as to WHEN it activates.

i have yet to see it work. has anyone actually seen on the display 2 cylinders turning off?

OP
OP
af2018

af2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well if the truth were to be told I don't need a truck either. I do drive a lot of miles for business. Usually long Interstate trips. 300-2000 miles.

Good luck!

0d1955636dca4536d0c08832f603f032.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

THAT IS AN AMAZING TRUCK!!!!! OoooOooooOOooooo :893karatesmiley-thu

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I hear the Ram has the ability to turn off 2 cylinders dependent on speed/RPM (of course, everyone on line has their own opinion as to WHEN it activates.

i have yet to see it work. has anyone actually seen on the display 2 cylinders turning off?

It turns off 4 cylinders when cruising down the highway. The lifters collapse, the valves stop opening, and the fuel shuts off. It’s controlled by oil pressure to the lifters. It’s been debatable if it actually saves fuel or if it’s an expensive liability that causes cam failures. It’s just EPA bull**** in my opinion.

I Bleed Ram Trucks

OP
OP
af2018

af2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
in all honesty, does anyone ever think, "Im only getting 17 MPG wth my 1500......IM ONLY GETTING 17 MPG!?????" :confused:

its a whole new world to me. i could care less about it... I'm simply in the phase of realizing that I'm pretty much cutting my miles down by HALF with this truck. mama mia!

image.png

OP
OP
af2018

af2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Octane question: If i were to use 87 in a Ram 1500 Hemi 5.7L... would it break my truck? Just give it worse gas milage?

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
in all honesty, does anyone ever think, "Im only getting 17 MPG wth my 1500......IM ONLY GETTING 17 MPG!?????"

Lol not me, I’d love to get 17 mpg. I clear 10 mpg on a good week. But I have a rough and roudy cammed 6.4 Hemi that wakes the neighbors and causes young children to run to their mommy’s, so I’m pretty happy with my life’s choices lol other then that, sure wish I had alittle more mpg

I Bleed Ram Trucks

warbat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC 4wd
Engine
I have always been the guy who gets the smaller engine because of mpgs and initial cost. I use my truck to haul stuff for diy projects and I rarely tow. If I do, it’s usually rental equipment a short distance. I had an 06 f-150 with the 4.2, 2 rangers with 4cyl, a Colorado with the I-4, a 2011 ram with the 4.7. While I was relatively happy with the mpgs I still spent hours upon hours researching how to make it more powerful. I alway wished I had sprung for the bigger motor, even though the engines I had were adequate for my needs.

I now have a 2015 ram with the 5.7 and I have never once wished I had gotten the v6. Im sure it’s a solid engine with decent power but the small savings in gas is no replacement for the smile I get when I stomp on the gas. In my opinion, you will not regret getting the hemi but you might regret getting the pentastar.

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I traded in a 2011 Honda pilot for my 2018 Ram sport with 5.7 Hemi. Pilot had a 3.5 ltr 260 horse engine. I got 11-12 around town, 15-16 on my work commute and 19-21 on long highway trips. The Hemi with the 8 speed tranny is getting the exact same mileage for me. Its still stock tho. The only cost difference i see is using 89 octane vs 87 and the fact its a 32 gallon tank! Fill ups hurt more with that, just alot less often

Schultzestrength

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm using either 89 or 93 top tier gasoline.

The higher octane will help prevent knocking/pinging over the 87 octane.

Huuu... now i have to remember what i was asking.

oh. if anyone uses 87 in their 5.7 without noticing major issues. manual says 89 is recommended but 87 is acceptable.

Schultzestrength

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The 93 is when I go to costco because they only have 87 and 93. Plus the cost is usually still cheaper than 89 at other stations.