New to Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaetheRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm new to the Ram family. I recently purchased a 2022 Laramie dealer demo. I came from a 2013 Ford F150 ecoboost. I tow a 31ft camper in the summer. My new truck came with a drop in bedliner and a tonneu cover, (I had Line x on my old truck.) I'm looking for opinions on Line X vs drop in and if the inside of the bed of the truck will stay cleaner and dryer with one vs the other, is the investment worth the added cost? I'm also thinking that I would like to install tow hooks, does anyone have any experience adding them on, if so, what brand did you have good luck with? Thank you for any and all help.

Tom Davis

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Recommend Line-X over a drop in anytime. Debris can get under the drop in and play havoc on your paint which will in turn cause rust. When I had mine sprayed the Line-X folks actually had a truck in that they pulled the drop in liner from, and a good foot of the bed had rusted out, at that point nothing could be done but a replacement bed.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Factory spray in bedliner in mine,with a bedrug installed on top of the spray in liner.Old guys knees like it better,and it's easy to clean with a run through the local coin-op carwash.

Attachments

• IMG_3998.JPG
    IMG_3998.JPG
    237.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4001.JPG
    IMG_4001.JPG
    287.2 KB · Views: 13

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Factory spray in bedliner in mine,with a bedrug installed on top of the spray in liner.Old guys knees like it better,and it's easy to clean with a run through the local coin-op carwash.
While I have the same knees, and I have a spray-in liner, I wouldn't put a rug over the top of it. Too much opportunity for water to get trapped and find a bare metal spot. And with my luck, it would happen fast. I'll just toss a boat cushion in there if I have to kneel in the bed.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
While I have the same knees, and I have a spray-in liner, I wouldn't put a rug over the top of it. Too much opportunity for water to get trapped and find a bare metal spot. And with my luck, it would happen fast. I'll just toss a boat cushion in there if I have to kneel in the bed.
Shouldn't be any bare metal spots with a quality spray in bed liner. I pulled the rug a year or 2 back to check for that issue,as i wash the bedrug every week or 2,and there was no rust under the bedrug.My truck is a 14,and the bedrug went in 2 days after i bought it.Even around the holes i have in the box for the stand alone fuel cell and relocated battery had no rust,and all i did when i drilled the holes was slather a bit of paint on the bare metal edges of the holes

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Shouldn't be any bare metal spots with a quality spray in bed liner. I pulled the rug a year or 2 back to check for that issue,as i wash the bedrug every week or 2,and there was no rust under the bedrug.My truck is a 14,and the bedrug went in 2 days after i bought it.Even around the holes i have in the box for the stand alone fuel cell and relocated battery had no rust,and all i did when i drilled the holes was slather a bit of paint on the bare metal edges of the holes
You're right, except my Indian name is Black Cloud. I'm like Schleprock...."Oh woe is me". :sad72:

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Another small advantage of the spray on liner is that RAM placed a small drain at the front of the bed in the center which promotes water drainage - especially if the truck sits slightly nose down or you park on an incline. With a drop in, the water just sits in the liner until it is driven and can drain out the back by braking in reverse or going up a hill. If you have it sprayed, be sure they don’t clog up that drain as it’s handy that the water can drain out on its own.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Spray in is the way to go. I had Line X in my ‘17, factory spray in my current truck. Power wash and it looks brand new after hauling gravel, mulch, anything. Plastic ones I’ve seen get chewed up by simply shoveling gravel out of the bed. I think I paid $450 in 2017? After market spray I understand is a variable quality. My ‘17 was thicker and better done under the bed rails than the factory spray but the factory spray is nice and even and plenty tough, tad thin under the bed rails but I don’t guess it gets much abuse up there.

KYPOTLICKER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Spray in liner for sure. Tow hooks you can purchase on Amazon for about $100.00 Plenty of videos on You Tube on the tow hook install. Appears easy enough, will be adding them myself

chopperdog45

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
Another vote for spray-in for pretty much the same reasons already mentioned :beatdeadhorse5: