Newbie PW owner in Texas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And its not just the power wagon that has bowed springs, its the entire HD lineup. And it wasnt that RAM didnt bother to fix this issue, they did it on purpose.

Vicman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Welcome to the Winch Mob!
I haven't done anything other than add a bed cover and 35"s. I am sure I have just as much fun rolling around in mine as anyone else, you can too!14402.jpeg

Matt ott

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Thats a sharp looking wagon, go with factory rubber mats and later some 35 all terrain tires, i also have some amp power steps i like but dont do serious off road stuff, because i got old ,but the roads here in this rural county are ruff and muddy when wet. Your going to love the P W...

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow, I went back and read my post, and Yes we did do AEV on his 17”, with the new spring’s. And Yes The Power Wagon springs are perfectly tuned for the stock Power Wagon but with the longer springs and an AEV 3” perch it would put the front of the Power Wagon about 4 1/2” overall. My mistake and either way bowed springs that don’t sit evenly on a perch is not a good thing when wheeling, ever see a spring pop out on the trail.? Been there done that.

Last edited:

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, that’s exactly what I’m saying and that’s exactly what AEV says about their 3” System and that’s exactly what we did. And on another note I know the Heavy duties have a slight bow towards the front to allow for spring rate on suspension flex, but with the factory PW lift it’s moving to axle back 1/2” or so and it creates additional spring arc. Thuren actually addresses this with a angle spring “their own” soft spring to sit better on the perch and AEV fixes it with the new 3” aluminum perch with your “Factory front springs”. AEV does this to take advantage of the full rate factory springs.

AEV clearly states on their website they dont recommend using the factory power wagon springs with their kit. I also asked them and they said the same thing...not recommended, they did no testing with them and were not sure if it would be compatible blah blah blah.

How does the setup work for you guys? Git some pics? Wondering if 37’s would look small....

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Saw my mistake Olyelyr and corrected it, thanks for the catch. And you can run 37” ‘ on it without issue and I run a 37” Patagonia MT on my stock height 12 with fender line trim and pinch weld mod and lower radius arms.

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Saw my mistake Olyelyr and corrected it, thanks for the catch. And he is running a 37” ‘ on it without issue and I run a 37” Patagonia MT on my stock height 12 with fender line trim and pinch weld mod and lower radius arms.

OP
OP
ekms377

ekms377

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks all for the input and warm welcome........you guys rock! Our other vehicle is a 19 4R Pro.

IMG_1713.JPG

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
Welcome!

Love the 4Runners too as I grew up with an '85, '86, '96 & now both of my brothers have '19's.

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Congrat’s and just to be clear the 2017 was not a Power Wagon, never said it was for that matter and it was my assumption thinking that AEV would keep the same spring’s for The PW as yes, they are tuned for. And that the same approach would apply. AEV likes to keep the lift’s at 3” with cutting the **** out of your sheet metal and adding some High mark fender flares to run 40’s.
I like the cost effectiveness of not having to cut up your PW and that’s why I left you 2012 stock except for a few Thuren parts. You can wheel 37’s without issue with some trimming of the inner fender liner and I recommend doing the pinch weld also. Thuren has a great tech section on lift’s wheel backspacing and tire clearance and these guys are very knowledgeable and ready to help.