Newcomer 2020 power wagon owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Polock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Hey Guys, got a new black power wagon a couple weeks ago and have around 1000 miles on it. Love it so far except for 1 thing... The Duratrac tires.
I haven't towed often yet, but Im thinking these are gonna produce more sway than i want. I've had KO2's in past and been really happy with them. To me it seems the duratracs sidewalls are too flexible. It also seems the steering has to work hard from a dead stop turn.
Looking into some load e tires as i wanna enhance on road manners and towing. I dont tow a ton of weight, but dont want it to be a pain to tow. All Terrains with snow flake is what im considering. Suggestions? Thanks!

Rated R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Duratracs are Load E in a 35" size. I don't have any problems with then and I specifically got them in 35" as the stock tires did so well in the snow.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
The 35" Toyo C/T tires are now available in the USA. I am considering running them on my next set due they have the 3PMSF rating, are Load Range E, and have a 3 ply tire carcass. We still have snow at our higher elevation roads here. They also are still snowbound with the gates closed even though our seasonal snowpack is below average. We get a lot of snow.

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
Congrats, great choice!
I think the Duratracs are D rated and 2ply sidewalls but in all fairness the tread is a proven if not top rated snow- flake tire.
Just ask the guys that run them in the snow-belt.
If only they were E rated 10ply with a 3 ply sidewall!
Problem solved, take a look at the Kanati Trail Hogs, they are E rated 10ply with a 3 ply sidewall and the tread is a virtual copy of the Duratrac! I like that the outer lugs are spaced further apart and clean out better than the BFG and some other all-terrains.
Keep in mind that snowflake tires are a softer compound than non-snowflake and will probably wear faster but that`s the trade off for extra grip in cold weather.... I like them so much here in our mtns (7k ft) I`m on a second set.
Almost forgot, last I checked the Kanati`s run about $230.00ea. on-line for a 37 x12.5 -17, I`m sure smaller sizes would be less...

OP
OP
P

Polock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Duratracs are Load E in a 35" size. I don't have any problems with then and I specifically got them in 35" as the stock tires did so well in the snow.

I haven't had ths opportunity to test in snow yet. I did notice they really pull me around on looser gravel...i could run good clip with KO2's on my 1500 in those conditions where these seem to "push" through the gravel if you get what I'm saying. Dont know if snow is gonna give me that same “wandering“? It feels like im going in and out of ruts.

OP
OP
P

Polock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Congrats, great choice!
I think the Duratracs are D rated and 2ply sidewalls but in all fairness the tread is a proven if not top rated snow- flake tire.
Just ask the guys that run them in the snow-belt.
If only they were E rated 10ply with a 3 ply sidewall!
Problem solved, take a look at the Kanati Trail Hogs, they are E rated 10ply with a 3 ply sidewall and the tread is a virtual copy of the Duratrac! I like that the outer lugs are spaced further apart and clean out better than the BFG and some other all-terrains.
Keep in mind that snowflake tires are a softer compound than non-snowflake and will probably wear faster but that`s the trade off for extra grip in cold weather.... I like them so much here in our mtns (7k ft) I`m on a second set.
Almost forgot, last I checked the Kanati`s run about $230.00ea. on-line for a 37 x12.5 -17, I`m sure smaller sizes would be less...

Nice tire! How's the on road handling? Do you feel less sway with these compared to the d duratrac? I really liked the KO2's in snow and got around 50k on a set. Maybe i gotta let the duratracs harden up? I've heard some say they get better after heat cycles?

Rated R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I haven't had ths opportunity to test in snow yet. I did notice they really pull me around on looser gravel...i could run good clip with KO2's on my 1500 in those conditions where these seem to "push" through the gravel if you get what I'm saying. Dont know if snow is gonna give me that same “wandering“? It feels like im going in and out of ruts.

I had the KO2's on my old Raptor and didn't like them in the snow as much as the Duratracs. Probably would have gone with the Ridge Grapplers if I din't want a snowflake tire.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Keep us posted on the outcome if you try a different tire. I have the same feeling as the OP with respect to an undesirable lack of on center feel and rut tracking.

I’m just not sure if it’s tires, suspension, or alignment. Could be an inherent result of the PW setup. It’s not serious, and I’ve been too busy with other projects to get into it.

I’ve had Duratracs on other trucks that didn’t wander, and I’ve had lifted HD Rams that tracked true, as well as stock Rams that wandered, so I’m not at all sure what the cause is yet.

One positive I can relay is that at least in my case, it’s not worse towing. Putting a load on seems to settle the truck down.

I will eventually get around to a different tire myself, and I’ll share how it affects the handling. Probably BFG.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
Welcome to RamForum,

I run Nitto Ridge Grappler 35s, Load Range F, and I like their performance.

Those dont have the 3PMS / severe weather rating OP's looking for. I've read that they're a good tire on road and off road but leave a it to be desired in cold weather, especially in snow. They are a great looking tire though! Sometimes I hate being in the Northeast as it limits my tire choices quite a bit.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
Hey Guys, got a new black power wagon a couple weeks ago and have around 1000 miles on it. Love it so far except for 1 thing... The Duratrac tires.
I haven't towed often yet, but Im thinking these are gonna produce more sway than i want. I've had KO2's in past and been really happy with them. To me it seems the duratracs sidewalls are too flexible. It also seems the steering has to work hard from a dead stop turn.
Looking into some load e tires as i wanna enhance on road manners and towing. I dont tow a ton of weight, but dont want it to be a pain to tow. All Terrains with snow flake is what im considering. Suggestions? Thanks!

I just put on stock 33" size General Grabber ATX; I'll be towing my TT about 240 miles this weekend so I'll see how they handle. My TT is about 7200-7500# loaded.
On my 1500 I ran 275/65/20 (34") Falken Wildpeak AT3W and they handled towing the same trailer really well. The tires had good road manners and plenty of snow traction as they are 3PMS / severe weather rated. I have heard a lot of good reviews on the Falken's from others also. I ran them for about 35,000 miles before trading the truck in.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Welcome to the Club!

start with tire pressure. Try 55-58 in the front tires and 53-50 in the rear. I have 21k on the truck and run gravel roads and tow weekly. Now I don’t tow heavy and I’m not in the snow. Nor will I keep these when I jump to 37s, but I believe tire pressure is your current issue.

EF661691-41A9-43F0-92A3-FB942AD5567F.jpeg

DBA15D9D-0122-4AAF-845E-F5B723CFAE83.jpeg

6D3B92BD-F5F7-440C-9219-72DEAE6269C1.jpeg

E32B11AB-17AD-4C9C-A86A-631DA7FE54DA.jpeg

65CEC3A0-5D11-4F04-8207-D3F48513DB40.jpeg

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Those dont have the 3PMS / severe weather rating OP's looking for. I've read that they're a good tire on road and off road but leave a it to be desired in cold weather, especially in snow. They are a great looking tire though! Sometimes I hate being in the Northeast as it limits my tire choices quite a bit.
And here I am in Arizona. In summer time I almost wanna switch to an at tire cause I drive more highways to get up north and trails are more mild too. Winter is when we’re hard on our stuff and mt are way to go. Glad I don’t gotta deal with snow......very often

OP
OP
P

Polock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Welcome to the Club!

start with tire pressure. Try 55-58 in the front tires and 53-50 in the rear. I have 21k on the truck and run gravel roads and tow weekly. Now I don’t tow heavy and I’m not in the snow. Nor will I keep these when I jump to 37s, but I believe tire pressure is your current issue.

Thanks!

I've ran lower pressures and it helps a little, but I'm thinking the Duratrac being closer to a mud terrain is probably where I'm getting the vague feeling on gravel.

I don't tow really heavy...around 8K would be about it... what turned me onto the power wagon besides the looks & value was the compromise between a full Heavy Duty ride and 1/2 Ton ride. It does ride better than the other 3/4 tons I've tested. Plus they can say a 1/2 ton tows more as a max rating; but I believe the power wagon would handle an 8K load better than the 1/2 ton.

I don't want to jump into 37's, but possibly 34's or 35's.

What really peaked my interest is the Toyo Open Country A/T III. Looks like a brand new tire! Has snowflake, and I'd be looking at a LT285/75R17 E rated which they have available. That would give me around a 34" tire.

Nailing down a list: (all E Tires)

Toyo Open Country A/T III

BFG KO2

Anyone change from the DuraTracs to these?

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
Nice tire! How's the on road handling? Do you feel less sway with these compared to the d duratrac? I really liked the KO2's in snow and got around 50k on a set. Maybe i gotta let the duratracs harden up? I've heard some say they get better after heat cycles?

Never run Duratracs but as I understand it, the Duratracs that come stock on the Powerwagon are D rated w/2 ply sidewall which probably squirm/sway more than an E rated version, although I think they`re still 2 ply sidewalls.
I`ve run Kanati Trail Hogs in both 35 x12.5 x 20 on stock rims and currently run 37 x 12.5 x 17 on AEV rims, both are E rated 10 ply with 3 ply sidewalls. Even at low-mid pressures (45-50 psi front/36-40 psi rear, unloaded) I haven`t experienced any squirm/sway and no tracking but don`t expect them to handle like a highway tire. They will make some noise (especially as they wear down) but nothing like a mud tread.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you are coming from a 1500 series truck keep in mind that the 2500 series PW is a completely different animal in regards to handling. You have a much heavier truck with a solid front axle (versus independent front), it sits higher, and the suspension is a little softer and more flexible on a PW model. Point being, part or all of this may be from a different truck versus the tires and changing the tires might make a difference. I went from the stock Duratracs to E load rated 35's and honestly didn't notice any major difference.

Sendero300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
What is the maximum recommendation for trailer weight for a 2020 power wagon with firestone air bags. I'm looking to purchase a boat in the 13000 weight range.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Hey, I don't mean to sound dismissive, but this is like groundhog day in the PW world. Why spend all the extra money for a purpose built truck and then deconstruct it because it's not well suited for your needs? The truck is built with soft tires, soft suspension and different shocks. It's not really a good tow vehicle as HD trucks go.

And yeah, I have E rated tires on my PW. (Had to replace tires in a locale with few choices after a flat) Which is why I know how they degrade the built in ride quality.

I've had a lot of HD trucks over the years, and I'm sorry to bear the news that even stiffer tires won't give the PW the planted, solid feel of a street purposed truck. All that flex comes at a cost.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The towing capacity is lower than a regular 2500 but is still above 10,000lbs.

If you're going to be pulling a 13000 boat on a regular basis ...personally....I would not go with a Power Wagon for the job.

Copy/Paste:

And while the Ram 2500 series overall has a maximum towing capacity of 20,000 lbs, much depends on the truck’s size and weight. The Power Wagon’s top tow rating is 10,290 lbs, while its maximum payload is 1,500 lbs.

From: https://driving.ca/reviews/road-test/pickup-review-2020-ram-2500-power-wagon

Another website showing just above 10,000lbs towing capacity:

Personally...if you're in the 13,000lbs range regularly towing....go with the Cummins. My personal opinion.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey, I don't mean to sound dismissive, but this is like groundhog day in the PW world. Why spend all the extra money for a purpose built truck and then deconstruct it because it's not well suited for your needs? The truck is built with soft tires, soft suspension and different shocks. It's not really a good tow vehicle as HD trucks go.

And yeah, I have E rated tires on my PW. (Had to replace tires in a locale with few choices after a flat) Which is why I know how they degrade the built in ride quality.

I've had a lot of HD trucks over the years, and I'm sorry to bear the news that even stiffer tires won't give the PW the planted, solid feel of a street purposed truck. All that flex comes at a cost.

Exactly. This is an off road vehicle. Sure...you can tow with it...but it's not made for heavy towing. Use if for what it was made for.

I'm towing with my Power Wagon...but my off road specifically built camper is only 2000-2500lbs...with an off road suspension. Should match the PW perfectly and the weight is low.