Nexen Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WVRam3500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I have the stock Nexen tires on my 2021 Ram 3500 dually. I have 31000 miles on my truck. With the past six months, I had two tires fail with broken belts. I pull a trailer and had it weighed and not close to GVW limits. One dealer says it's because the way the tires are rotated. Any one else hear of this issue.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Are the tires wearing evenly? If so then I wouldn't think it would be a rotation issue. How much tread is left?

Hitting potholes could be doing it too, being in a city with bad roads could be the issue.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
This is a known issue, especially the front tires as they have to carry the weight of the mighty cummins. The nexens on my 3500, only had 14k miles when the fronts failed, while towing my fifth wheel of course. They didnt blow out. Like yours the belts let go, and they rode like I was on large rocks going down the road. Replaced all six tires the next week with nitto dura grapplers and never looked back. Just the difference in the weight between the nexen tire and the replacement was astounding. The nexens are really crappy cheap china bombs.

This issue is all over the RV blogs as a very common failure. As a lot of people use dually RAMs to haul their big fifth wheels.

Last edited:

Slotback

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got stock Nexen's on my 1500. I haven't had any problems to this point, but this thread does get me thinking....And since I'm not a tire guy, what does the board suggest I look at when the time comes?

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
All the issues I have read about were from the nexens being installed the HD series trucks, mostly on the dual rear wheel versions.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The Nexens on the HD trucks are garbage in my opinion (as are most tires that are installed from the factory). All of my previous Rams had them on and all were swapped for better tires. Prior to my current truck I swapped them all to Cooper AT3s but there are many good tires available.

My current Ram has Michelins on it and I like them better than the Coopers (for highway tires).

Rotation could be part of the issue on the DRW trucks though. A lot of tire places only rotate the outer 4 to avoid breaking down the wheels. Inner tires must move to the front, fronts move to the outside rear, outside rear move to the inside rear.

I use Discount Tire for all of my tires, rotations, balancing, etc... Duallys do require rotating all 6 tires and to do it properly 4 of the 6 must be dismounted and remounted on the rim. I use DT because they do this every time. I would suggest that you find a tire shop that does this on any tire you choose.

OP
OP
W

WVRam3500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Thank you for all the feedback.