Not right - front tires worn on outside edges

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Art in Phoenix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel HO
11/4/2023 Update: The dealership checked alignment and inspected all associated components and found everything within factory specs. I asked them to show me which they did. That part was a relief to confirm I wasn't having any parts failures. I drive very conservatively as I plan to own this truck for at least 20 years. I did discuss tire rotation with the mechanic and didn't have confidence in his knowledge. He explained the reason the last dealership didn't rotate tires was that my inboard tires were on steel rims whereas the outboard wheels are chrome. I mentioned the owner's manual explains to only exchange inner for inner and outer for outer as the TPMS requires these positions (screenshot attached). He didn't know anything about that. We discussed factory specs and I decided to leave things as they are - here's my reasoning albeit could be flawed. First, I tend to not modify anything staying more a purist with my stuff. I didn't even uncork my early 2000s Honda XR650R to get more power though the bike is still pristine. Second, I thought about that solid axel and the immense weight the Cummins 6.7 puts up front and the compromises the engineers had to make to get it all to perform for a long time and my guess was it came down to this - the customer buys new front tires @ 35K miles or lets make it real tricky up front on a 4X4 to do exotic stuff. I'd bet they'd hear a lot more about customers having to spend $$$ for front ends than they do right now on tires - just my guess.

Anyway, I found a terrific tire shop there in town (dealer didn't have my tire size) and everything is operating as it should.

I was impressed with the tire shop if anyone's interested: Bailey Tire Company, Sparta TN (just south of Cookeville Tennessee).

Thanks everyone for your input.
Art

Original Post: I have to replace my front tires at 35,000 miles as this uneven wear has made them unbalanced but also taken the tread off on the outside 2 inches. My dealership said this was normal 15,000 miles ago. I thought he was blowin smoke but now I've seen a few comments that might support his claim. I still find this hard to accept.

My experience with any other vehicle would say this is an alignment issue but not so with RAM? How can this be?

2021 RAM 3500 Limited Longhorn crew cab 4X4 long box
6.7L I6 Cummins HO Turbo Diesel 50 Gal fuel

1025231635_HDR.jpg1025231637b_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• Rotate.JPG
    Rotate.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

ibike

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just bought new tires for mine. The old tires had similar wear as yours not as bad. I’m watching the new tires to see how they wear, and so far I’m not seeing the same wear. 5000 miles on them and will rotate them in a day or two. I suspected alignment but not seeing the proof in this set yet.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
What mileage are you rotating your tires and what rotation pattern are you using? On my 2006 2500 4x4 for over 16 years I used the back tires to front and crossed the front tires to rear, I never ever saw uneven tire wear like that even before I replace tie rod ends, drag link, pit man arm an a few other parts...

Dyeelitt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I had similar wear on 1 tire. Rotated 5000 miles or less. Had the front end aligned a couple of times and it was out the first time. Put Michelin Defender LTX and so far after 1600 miles all is good. Will keep my eye on them. Traction is significantly better than the OE Bridgestone

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I agree with SD, that wear is the result of bad alignment. Even without rotating tires the outside edge should not have that much extra wear. Google the Thuren Alignment specifications. Have your front end aligned to those specs. Then rotate your tires regularly, you won't have these issue any more.

This provides a very good explanation. Despite the title it also covers 3500.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Find a good alignment shop, and rotate your tires every 5K. This is an alignment issue, no matter what anyone tells you.
Yup, alignment for sure. Does help to rotate tires on a good schedule and also check and run Proper PSI also.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
^^^ 100% ^^^ Find a competent shop that will use Thuren specs. Many will not deviate from factory specs. Keep looking 'til you find the right shop. If you are in Phx, I use Firebird Tire on 19th Ave. for my last dually, and will again when my '24 comes in. Bring the Thuren printout with you.

GeorgiaTrains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a dually and experience the same thing but, have you noticed the wear on the R/F is worse? I have had my alignment checked numerous times and it is always dead on. The resident "red neck expert" at my Ram dealer told me all Rams with the 6.7 diesel wear on the right front tire due to torque from the engine. The Cummins is a beast we all know. Rotate the two front tires often. I am taking that as a fact and continue to rotate knowing my front tires will not last as long as the 4 on the rear.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a dually and experience the same thing but, have you noticed the wear on the R/F is worse? I have had my alignment checked numerous times and it is always dead on. The resident "red neck expert" at my Ram dealer told me all Rams with the 6.7 diesel wear on the right front tire due to torque from the engine. The Cummins is a beast we all know. Rotate the two front tires often. I am taking that as a fact and continue to rotate knowing my front tires will not last as long as the 4 on the rear.
Allegedly, according to weight. I have the same problem with my Motorcycle. With the straight tracking independent trike kit, pushes bike straight. Turning, you are actually scuffing on the tire, like sliding, which causes monster wear, so U end up getting new tire every 6K to 10K, depending upon your riding.

OP
OP
Art in Phoenix

Art in Phoenix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel HO
What mileage are you rotating your tires and what rotation pattern are you using? On my 2006 2500 4x4 for over 16 years I used the back tires to front and crossed the front tires to rear, I never ever saw uneven tire wear like that even before I replace tie rod ends, drag link, pit man arm an a few other parts...
Sorry, I didn't specify dually in the orig post. I've asked the dealer to rotate but they don't seem to think it would matter. I kinda see their view that I'd only be swapping left for right and the problem is the same on both.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't specify dually in the orig post. I've asked the dealer to rotate but they don't seem to think it would matter. I kinda see their view that I'd only be swapping left for right and the problem is the same on both.
You have to break down tires on a dually to do a rotation. If your dealer doesn't know that...

OP
OP
Art in Phoenix

Art in Phoenix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel HO
Find a good alignment shop, and rotate your tires every 5K. This is an alignment issue, no matter what anyone tells you.
I have an appointment to check the alignment with a different dealer 11/3. I neglected to mention I have a dually. I don't put this truck through heavy use at all. I've only towed 21,000lb RV (4,500lb hitch) @ 4K miles. The rest of the 35K miles in normal light use. I wouldn't expect the alignment to be out under such conditions unless RAM just has the specs wrong and if so the dealer will only compare to orig specs. I'm kinda at a loss here. If the alignment is out per dealer would be unusual? We bought the MOPAR extended warranty - would that cover such things including worn tire?

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
See my post #9. With rare exception, you are wasting your time at the dealer. Yes, the factory spec for toe-in is excessive for a straight axle. Find a shop that will use Thuren specs. I mentioned Firebird Tire. They do big motorcoaches, etc. Owner is Paul.

After having them align it, and going to Bridgestone Duravis R500s, I was having them rotate them every 10K with no irregular wear.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
May try to find an independent alignment shop that knows their stuff, apparently the factory specs aren’t all they should be. A good shop should be able to set things straight , dealership Techs usually do not look outside the box. They tend to follow the book and can not think independently.

OP
OP
Art in Phoenix

Art in Phoenix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel HO
^^^ 100% ^^^ Find a competent shop that will use Thuren specs. Many will not deviate from factory specs. Keep looking 'til you find the right shop. If you are in Phx, I use Firebird Tire on 19th Ave. for my last dually, and will again when my '24 comes in. Bring the Thuren printout with you.
Thanks for the info. Funny thing, we moved from Phoenix to Tennessee a year ago and now I realize making that part of my handle was not the smartest thing...

OP
OP
Art in Phoenix

Art in Phoenix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel HO
See my post #9. With rare exception, you are wasting your time at the dealer. Yes, the factory spec for toe-in is excessive for a straight axle. Find a shop that will use Thuren specs. I mentioned Firebird Tire. They do big motorcoaches, etc. Owner is Paul.

After having them align it, and going to Bridgestone Duravis R500s, I was having them rotate them every 10K with no irregular wear.
Thanks for the info. I think for now I'll keep my appointment with this (new to me) dealer and hope to eliminate any other issues with an alignment check and inspection of associated components along with verifying I'm at factory specs. I'll put new tires on and watch closely for the same wear. If it begins again I'll go to the Thuren specs before I ruin another set of tires.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Funny thing, we moved from Phoenix to Tennessee a year ago and now I realize making that part of my handle was not the smartest thing...
My bad for assuming your location, sorry. I hope you can find an old-school front end guy.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
God I hate dealers when it comes to tires as most are stupid at best.... Below is a URL to the Micheline web site for tire rotation patterns ( about half way down they have a dual wheel rotation patterns, my self I would use the one that has the front tires going to the rear and one of the rear tires to the front... I have used there ( rear & 4 wheel and all wheel drive ) rotation patterns on all of my vehicles for over 45 years and have been very happy with the results, tread depth as recorded is always within 1/32 front to rear on wife's car and also the truck unless I happen to experience lead foot syndrome :oops: ... https://www.michelinman.com/auto/au...maintenance/tire-rotation-how-to-rotate-tires