No bus odometer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
Alright. I’m starting to get annoyed with this ram. Bought it with abs and brake light on and abs does not work. Figured some sensors, now every time I drive it the truck dings, the air bag light comes, speedometer drops and the odometer read no bus. Anyone know what’s going on? What do I do?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Use google-fu... and maybe next time don't purchase a vehicle with "issues"...lol

"'No Bus' means the CCD communication bus is down. This 'bus' is the 2 wire communication network that all the computers share information on.
Your instrument cluster isn't gettin any info over the bus that's why you get the 'no bus' message and none of your gauges work.
This can be caused by any shorted module or broken bus wire. A few PCM sensors can cause this problem too.
As you have a No Start I'm inclined to think it is a PCM related problem.
First check ALL fuses and engine grounds.
Next do a visual inspection. Are any wires cut or pinched? A common one is to get wires pinched between the engine and trans.
If all that checks out unplug the following sensors: Cranks sensor, Cam/SYNC sensor, TPS, MAP and Trans connector. These 5v sensors can short out the CCD bus because they share the same power source.
You will have to cycle the key off and on to reset the PCM and CCD bus once you find the problem.
Crank sensor is the most common sensor to short" - rabbler

"I've usually found that the no-buss on the pickups generally comes from the ABS unit. Water drips on it and corrodes or makes the plug wet. The other problem, is that for some reason,like you said, it will keep coming back, so here's what you do.....with the key turned off, unplug all 3 plugs from the pcm. Then turn the key on, and from left to right,plug them in one at a time. After their all plugged in,turn the key off.

Turn the key back on, and now slowly apply the throttle pedal to wide open and hold it for 3 seconds and then cycle the pedal 2 to 3 times. Your giving the computer the range of the TPS.

Now turn off the key again, and now restart. This generally corrects the problem as long as you have verified continuity across all the buss lines.

What you are doing is resetting the computer in a way that takes it all the way back to the original base setting. It will have no learned data left." - neilsrpcustoms

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
have had this issue twice on my 2001 1500 5.9l v8.

Replace the computer with one that has a lifetime warranty.

Stay away from auto computer exchange, they did not honor the lifetime warranty, and I had to purchase another one from another place.

ppcasm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You're going to love this one. I had the same issue for the 2 years I've owned the truck (2004 dodge ram 5.7 hemi) but it was slightly intermittent. I soon realized it had something to do with moisture as anytime I would go to the car wash and have the underbody sprayed the issue would show up again. Well we had a hurricane (Florence) and that's when all hell decided to break lose and a bunch if lights came on, ECM wouldn't respond to my ELM dongle, guages dead, no bus, etc. I knew at this point it was 100% moisture related. I started disconnecting plugs from underneath the truck with the assumption that's the most likely place for moisture to penetrate. It did not fix the issue. I started realizing it was almost certainly PCM related as the engine woukd start, although occasionally would go crazy while the dash was acting possessed with annoying lights and beeping. I reach behind the fuse box under the hood and take off a red clip and pull the plug... water just came pouring out. I've no idea how water has even been penetrating inside the plug considering it looks like it has a seal around the inside of it, but it did, and I dried it out and put some grease in it to stop it and it works flawlessly now. This fixed mine, hopefully it'll work for yours as well. I wish I would have taken pictures but it's nasty outside.

Firestalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just had this happen on the way to work this morning. "NO BUS" on dash, would not change gears, no speedo/tach, all lights flashing, ect. Limped it the rest of the way to work and now trying to figure out my next step. It's a 3.6L, 40,*** miles. It did just lightly rain last night, but nothing at all compared to the two hurricanes that came through in the last 2 months, but I'm going to check the plug mentioned above for water.

I bought it used/certified at about 26k miles... Trying to figure out if this would be covered under any kind of warranty.