No more BFG KO2's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Almaramguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well after 3 unsuccessful attempts to get my KO2's from shaking the snot out of me at highway speeds, I returned them for a set of Falken Wildpeak AT3's. We will see how they perform over the next few days, can't be any worse than the KO2's:) I think I may actually like the looks of the Falkens a little better. The tread is similar in looks but much deeper, and a little wider. They still have the more aggressive looking sidewall, which I was after. Also, they came in at almost two hundred cheaper which was an added bonus(almost enough for that exhaust upgrade) :happy107:

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had trouble with BFGs before, never could get them balanced made them take the set back and got something different just like you.

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had Falken Rocky Mountains on a Titan. They are the same as the Wildpeak (not sure about at3) but were rebranded exclusively for Discount Tire. They wore too fast for my liking. Have BFG AT KO2s now. Only about 1k miles on them. Hope they work out for me. Good luck with the Falkens.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm about to go with some Falken's too. I like the way they look and have read some good reviews on them. Keep us updated on what you think after using them.

OP
OP
Almaramguy

Almaramguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had Falken Rocky Mountains on a Titan. They are the same as the Wildpeak (not sure about at3) but were rebranded exclusively for Discount Tire. They wore too fast for my liking. Have BFG AT KO2s now. Only about 1k miles on them. Hope they work out for me. Good luck with the Falkens.

Thanks. I was really hoping they could fix the balance issue. They are a sharp tire- I got a lot of compliments on them in the week they were on the truck. If you have made it this far with no issues, I am sure they will be a good tire for ya.

LVnight1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you get the LT or non-LT AT3's? They have our stock size, 275/60R20 in both.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
people seem to either love or hate these K02's. I like the look and weight but im still not impressed with their wet traction

Last edited:

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I really like 'em on mine, although not a Ram...

20170825_163745_resized.jpg

20170825_163751_resized.jpg

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well after 3 unsuccessful attempts to get my KO2's from shaking the snot out of me at highway speeds, I returned them for a set of Falken Wildpeak AT3's. We will see how they perform over the next few days, can't be any worse than the KO2's:) I think I may actually like the looks of the Falkens a little better. The tread is similar in looks but much deeper, and a little wider. They still have the more aggressive looking sidewall, which I was after. Also, they came in at almost two hundred cheaper which was an added bonus(almost enough for that exhaust upgrade) :happy107:

After having big off-road tires mounted to steel wheels on a jeep for years. I have learned that not all tire shops are good at balancing. The best shops are off-road truck shops, places with roadforce balance machines, and 18 wheeler tire places.

One thing the average shop rarely does is rotate the tire on the rim before adding weights. Offroad shops know to do this, and it really does help.

pcschwenke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
As mentioned, road force balancing is key. A lot of tire shops use old and out of date balancing machines. Unless they sell Michelin’s or get lucky, they all shake.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Totally understand that. I have had mine balanced every six months to a year. They somehow shed weight.

OP
OP
Almaramguy

Almaramguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you get the LT or non-LT AT3's? They have our stock size, 275/60R20 in both.

I went with the LT's in a 275/65. Figured if I was going to commit to shedding some cash, I would go with something a little beefier without being too over the top. I didn't necessarily need the E rated tire, but in that size it's the only choice.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins

The problem will be wear. I would be surprised if you get 40-50k on them. They look pretty nice similar to a KO2.

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The problem will be wear. I would be surprised if you get 40-50k on them. They look pretty nice similar to a KO2.

When I traded the Titan with Falken Rocky Mountains on them it had 29k miles and the tires were getting pretty loose when it rained. Hopefully, the Wildpeak AT3s are an upgrade to what I had.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
They cost too much to only get 40k. I hate that about some of these tires. My cost per mile was so good on the BFG KO I had to try the KO2. So far doing well but the balance thing is odd. I have been tempted to try balance beads.

reindeerman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2002
Engine
Each to their own. My current truck I bought used had a set of brand new BFG KO's when purchased. (still had the ****). A little sceptical. After 30,00 miles I'm still good for another 15,000 plus. Tires have been much better than expected. They are E rated and I tow all the time. No vibrations other than normal towing.
On my third gen I used Pirelli scorpion LT's and like them too. BFG's on my 4th gen more noise than the Pirelli's on the 3rd gen but not bad.
People rave about the Cooper's but my experience has not been good. On three different vehicles - Car, truck and trailer I started with new ones. The car had a belt failure at about 20,000 miles ended up buying new Michelin's The 3rd gen truck had extreme cupping at 20,000. So bad I had to buy new tires. Bought Pirelli Scorpion's. Trailer had tread separation with fender damage at about 20,000 miles. These were OEM on my livestock trailer.
I ended up on Michelin's on the live stock trailer when matching the load capacity and they are approaching 40,000 miles

Coopers were good for 20,00 then junk.
Pirelli's good for 40,00 and I bought another set.
BFG's at 30,00 and still have some time left and would purchase again.

Cummins Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Funny all the complaints I've read about KO2s. Mine have been as smooth as silk since the day I bought them. Just lucky I guess?

pcschwenke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Mine we great as well. The Chev dealer who installed them were amazed at how balanced they were without weights. Most truck tires are aweful. Also, you cannont buy a great traction tire without sacrificing tire wear. Michelin is known for having both, but traction isn’t as good as it could be.

Jetsfan122

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Express Crew Cab White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No issues with my KO2's either. I've had them for about 7k miles.