295/50/22 BFG KO2 - 2023 1500 limited air ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sigfla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I can’t seem to get a definitive answer on reprogramming my 2023 with digital dash speedometer to 35’s. My dealer support in this area is lousy. I have no desire to hand them back my truck. Hypertech says I need an inline module. Most threads I read say I will have an error on anything over 34.4 and lose my parking sensors. These problems seem specific to the 2023 limited with digital dash. I asked if I just got it close will I be ok but Hypertech hasn’t responded.
At this point I am leaning towards the BFG KO2 295/50/22 which will give me an additional 1.6 of sidewall on my stock 22’s over the Pirelli Verdes. Why Ram chose that tire I cannot fathom beyond an attempt to use a light economic option. What does everyone think of the 295/50/22? I have a Revel link kit and Daystar spacers as well. I may run them for a year or so until the tech can give me a better option to recalibrate my Speedo. Will the leveling kit look weird with 295/50’s?

OP
OP
S

sigfla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I suppose I could also go with a 33 x 12.5 but I prefer a taller tire without a lot of offset in the wheel so not too wide. I like the stance of the stock 22’s I just want taller, more aggressive tread, and more sidewall to fill out the wheel well.

CRS1968

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have 285/55/22 Toyo Open Country AT3’s on my 2023 Limited with air suspension. No rubs other than entry/exit mode. Had dealer try to calibrate but their program won’t allow to go higher than 33” as of a few months ago. I’m off about 4 MPH at highway speeds over 60.

Ramsteen23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey Fellas -
I am running LT295/55R22 Toyo Open Country A/T IIIs (35X12.2) and I also have the Revel Link Leveling Kit and it rides great. I've never considered reprogramming my system for the new tires size...I have 3.92 gears which handle the heavier tire well as far as acceleration and shifting. I am new to the concept of reprogramming for a larger tire...what are the benefits other than a more accurate speedo readout?

Thanks in advance for the info!

CRS1968

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also affects recorded mileage and calculated mpg. You are likely putting on more miles than your truck thinks and your MPG is a bit better than your truck tells you.

Ramsteen23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I can’t seem to get a definitive answer on reprogramming my 2023 with digital dash speedometer to 35’s. My dealer support in this area is lousy. I have no desire to hand them back my truck. Hypertech says I need an inline module. Most threads I read say I will have an error on anything over 34.4 and lose my parking sensors. These problems seem specific to the 2023 limited with digital dash. I asked if I just got it close will I be ok but Hypertech hasn’t responded.
At this point I am leaning towards the BFG KO2 295/50/22 which will give me an additional 1.6 of sidewall on my stock 22’s over the Pirelli Verdes. Why Ram chose that tire I cannot fathom beyond an attempt to use a light economic option. What does everyone think of the 295/50/22? I have a Revel link kit and Daystar spacers as well. I may run them for a year or so until the tech can give me a better option to recalibrate my Speedo. Will the leveling kit look weird with 295/50’s?
The BFG LT295/50/22 is a nice option...I like the tread width (12.2) and the OD looks to be just under 34" which should look good with the kit. I wouldn't go any smaller as far as the OD goes...in fact I went up to 35s and I love the look.

Ramsteen23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also affects recorded mileage and calculated mpg. You are likely putting on more miles than your truck thinks and your MPG is a bit better than your truck tells you.
Good to know, thanks!

OP
OP
S

sigfla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Killing me not going with a 35 but the older more responsible me is trying hard to talk myself out of it….

Ramsteen23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Killing me not going with a 35 but the older more responsible me is trying hard to talk myself out of it….
There are plenty of things you can take the older and more responsible approach with...if the additional cost of the 35s is not a deal breaker then I say go for it...no regrets....just my 2-cents.

I'm sure you've noticed that we are very good at spending each others money on this site that's for sure.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
From what I am told from techs at the dealer was that they took away their ability to adjust tire sizes a few years ago. Most snap on scanners can recalibrate as long as the shop has the auto auth set up on it to get through the security gateway. There are other work arounds but that is what we use mostly. We couldn’t get into the 23’s until June/July with the snap on and alfaobd so last year at this time we were in the same boat calling the dealer for assistance being told exactly what they are telling you leaving all parties confused

OP
OP
S

sigfla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That surprises me. I have seen on other forums the dealer (TSB?) allowing them to adjust tire size. The process is posted online but it amounts to a service request made by the dealer then a “contract” issued to allow adjustment to the Speedo per your specific VIN. My dealer can 100% do it. I just am not confident in their honesty at this point. Cost was on par with others at $350. I would rather do it myself and at least 2 programmers I have talked to (Tazer and Hypertech) have expressed a lack of confidence in their tuners ability to set the speedo for a 2023. For now I ordered 295/50’s. If the aftermarket tuner tech or AlphaOBD catches up and I can confidently do it myself I will eventually go to a 285/55.

OP
OP
S

sigfla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I actually just found the dealer letter telling them how to do it and the process dated 2020. It’s not obvious bc it requires some hoops to jump through first apparently. A guy posted it after he had to show his dealer the letter. After hours of saying no they calibrated his speedo within 30 minutes.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I actually just found the dealer letter telling them how to do it and the process dated 2020. It’s not obvious bc it requires some hoops to jump through first apparently. A guy posted it after he had to show his dealer the letter. After hours of saying no they calibrated his speedo within 30 minutes.
Yea…stuff has changed since 2020…

Ramsteen23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any updates on the tire size you went with?

truck memes 5.png

20Limited

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
305/45/22 Recon Grapplers with Daystar pucks and homemade links. A 295/50 would be about .8" taller. Would look just fine I think.

tempImageGLo6h0.jpg