Larger tire size but less weight. Discuss!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2Tallguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
Hey folks. I need advice on buying larger but lighter tires tires vs smaller diameter but heavier tires for potential performance gains. I'm currently running Falken Wildpeak tires which are E rated 35x12.5 x 17. I've been wanting to get more forgiving C rated tires and was considering also dropping down to 33" for the weight savings and to help my 3:55 gearing out.
My dilemma is that I have always wanted to put 37" tires on my truck for ground clearance and for the looks but don't want to make my acceleration and braking even worse.
I saw that BFG has C rated KO2'S in 37x12.5 x 17 which weigh 42.24lbs LESS than my current tires for all four.
My question is, if I went to a 2" larger diameter 37" tire but reduced the rotational weight by a combined 42.24 lbs, would the 37's still affect my trucks performance negatively vs my current heavier 35's?

I guess I'm trying to convince myself that I can run 37's without getting any worse acceleration and overall strain on the gears etc than my current 35" but heavier tires.
Would things kind of even out? Are the lighter but larger tires better or worse than driving with smaller but heavier 35" tires? Hope this made sense! LoL
Increased mass and taller is going to negatively affect your mpg but they look cool.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
they have these chose a gear graphs on all the 4x4 boards I was on before this one.

Nobody that I have heard of is happy with 3.55's and 37's no matter how light the tire. If you could actually put eye balls on a 3.55 gear set over the gears in the 400's, you would see why. I think you would likely damage those 3.55 which have to be the worst gears I ever, the only regret with my truck getting those.