Not liking what I'm seeing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dputnam01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
Saw some spotting in the slot I usually park in at work ("my" spot out in the north 40 ;)). Looks like a collection of drops over several days/weeks. Didn't look and feel like the usual motor oil spot. Thinking maybe coolant.. leaking water pump? (does coolant leave residual staining on asphalt?) Checked under my truck and saw engine oil on fwd undercarriage and around the oil pan seating. Felt around the oil filter but dry, and no oil around the drain plug. Does synthetic oil "stain" different that petroleum oil? (first time using synthetic in a vehicle). Where is it coming from? Oil level was good, and I had changed oil & filter about 5 weeks ago.

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Could it be residual oil that dripped of a crossmember after changing the filter, I don't own a diesel so this is just a guess.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dputnam01

dputnam01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
Not really. I use the screw-on oil cap/plug when I change the filter, so no spillage. I'm probably going to do another oil change here real soon and be very systematic about it, and clean everything off. I'd hate to have to bring the truck to the dealer for this. I might need to scope it to trace the source. My guess is it might be the oil pan seal.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wat do U use to clean off oil? Just wipe it? Brake cleaner does well on the oil, old time hack, lol.

Hmmmm, oil pan seal on a 6.7, could be interesting. Bet doable on the ground or on jacks, but better in the air, just not sure what things would have to be disconnected, moved. Last oil pan I did was on a 67 GM 396. That was the old cork gaskets with the silicone rtv sealer, ne body remember those days? LOL.

Last edited:

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a Oil breather element in the valve cover on the back, If that breather gets saturated it will leak engine oil on the back of the valve cover, buy a new element or clean it out with a good engine degreaser.

OP
OP
dputnam01

dputnam01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
I’ll check the breather. What would cause it to get saturated.. overfill, foaming? Looks like oil pan gasket is a liquid gasket?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There is a Oil breather element in the valve cover on the back, If that breather gets saturated it will leak engine oil on the back of the valve cover, buy a new element or clean it out with a good engine degreaser.

On a cummins diesel? First I have heard of that.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
EPA requirement for Tier 4 regulations. No more open breathers.

I'm still not sure what he is talking about, the only "breather" element my cummins has is the CCV filter which is connected to the turbo to create a negative pressure in the crankcase

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
It is not a breather per say, but rather a filter. It is to keep large contaminants out of the crank case ventilation pipe that vents several inches from the turbo inlet. It does not get vented to the air, but rather ingested into the intake air. If the filter gets clogged keeping this air from getting vented, then it will keep the pressure in the crank causing oil leaks through O-rings and gaskets.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dputnam01

dputnam01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
I use exhaust braking all-the-time. Would that have any impact? The truck's got 41,500 miles, but oil issue only within last 1000 miles or so.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Saw some spotting in the slot I usually park in at work ("my" spot out in the north 40 ;)). Looks like a collection of drops over several days/weeks. Didn't look and feel like the usual motor oil spot. Thinking maybe coolant.. leaking water pump? (does coolant leave residual staining on asphalt?) Checked under my truck and saw engine oil on fwd undercarriage and around the oil pan seating. Felt around the oil filter but dry, and no oil around the drain plug. Does synthetic oil "stain" different that petroleum oil? (first time using synthetic in a vehicle). Where is it coming from? Oil level was good, and I had changed oil & filter about 5 weeks ago.
Do you have an indoor garage?

If so lay down some of that brown paper floor protector under the truck to see where the drops fall.

Then try to back track the leak.

OP
OP
dputnam01

dputnam01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
It drips from the fwd oil pan screws. Having a difficult time looking up the front of the block

OP
OP
dputnam01

dputnam01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
Update. Planned to bring the truck in and do the drag link replacement kit at the same time. Service Manager said I'd need FCA approval prior to cover the safety recall. Called RAM Cares and applied & got approval for upgrade kit. Will be bringing the truck in when kit arrives at dealership in 2-3 weeks. However, upon my description of the oil leak, the Service Manager thinks it might be the timing cover. He said there are two covers. One is a quick fix. The second would be a 2-week fix. I'll keep you posted.

OP
OP
dputnam01

dputnam01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
Update: Truck was at the shop for about a week and a half to get the leak checked out, the V06 Safety recall done, and the fuel filters changed. They determined that it was the timing cover that was leaking, so it required quite a bit of front end disassembly to address it. Picked it up last night, wiped it down underneath and will keep an eye on it to make sure it stays dry. I might do the fuel filters myself next time...pretty expensive. One interesting note... I had applied and received approval for the drag link replacement, and the new part was delivered & confirmed at the dealer. When they called to say it was ready, I ran down the list of what they did. When we got to the safety recall (drag link) I stated that they were to replace the drag link, and the service person said "The drag link passed but the nuts didn't, so what we do is..." I cut him off and said "You are not welding the nuts. I had the new drag link delivered to you and it should be in your parts dept". He said, let me check. Calls me back and says, sorry, you're right, we'll get that replaced and you can pick it up in a few hours. If I had arrived to pick up my truck and had seen welded nuts, I would have exploded. I am assuming bad communication on their part, but a happy ending none-the-less. ;)