Odd noise from a pulley? Not sure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marshalljud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have this odd noise that is much quieter in person but the phone captured it loudly. I’d like to assume a pulley but it has an odd sound that I can’t quite place.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks :)

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
So hard to tell because it could be from several things, e.g. pulley, alternator, water pump, serpentine belt. If you can get someone with mechanics stethoscope to listen to alternator and whatever else they can to rule some things out that would be good start. Feel for any wobble in water pump pulley. Honestly if tensioner, idler pullies and belt haven't been replaced in awhile I'd do them as preventative maintenance anyway.

OP
OP
M

Marshalljud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So hard to tell because it could be from several things, e.g. pulley, alternator, water pump, serpentine belt. If you can get someone with mechanics stethoscope to listen to alternator and whatever else they can to rule some things out that would be good start. Feel for any wobble in water pump pulley. Honestly if tensioner, idler pullies and belt haven't been replaced in awhile I'd do them as preventative maintenance anyway.
Thanks for the advice! I just recently in the past few thousand miles had a water pump and serpentine belt replaced. When I was looking at all the pulleys I think I could just barely see the slightest wobble on the tensioner. Seems louder on the passenger side which I thought was odd

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Typical step 1 is removing the belt and crank it up to confirm or rule out the belt and belt driven accessories are the cause.
Exactly where I was going to go!
Pull the belt and check every pulley. Spin them, feel for wobble in them, etc.
Easiest way to eliminate the obvious culprits.