Odometer Resetting Itself - Have you seen this before?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
well, I did have a change of heart afterwards, I figured if people are going to be to lazy to read / understand, then the argument is futile.

Dang, you deleted your previous post before I could quote it. That was seriously the funniest thing I have read in a long time.

In my life experience, the truly smart people in the world don't have to tell other people how smart they are.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd ask for a lifetime warranty for the hassle, then the mileage won't matter.

OP
OP
B

Beavonthebayou

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Guys,

I really appreciate all of the feedback on this issue. The original dealership has been very supportive, but because they are over 100 miles away, I have not been able to get back over to them. I have an appointment Monday at the local Dodge dealer to begin to resolve the issue.

The original dealership has been in touch with corporate as they have not seen this issue before. It may be as simple as requiring the system to be reflashed, or it could be more complex.

Local dealerships were not overly eager to help me once they found out I had purchased the vehicle at a dealership out of the area. It will be interesting to see how they handle this service issue.

I'll continue to keep everybody advised to how everything develops.

Thanks again for the spirited discussion.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Guys,

I really appreciate all of the feedback on this issue. The original dealership has been very supportive, but because they are over 100 miles away, I have not been able to get back over to them. I have an appointment Monday at the local Dodge dealer to begin to resolve the issue.

The original dealership has been in touch with corporate as they have not seen this issue before. It may be as simple as requiring the system to be reflashed, or it could be more complex.

Local dealerships were not overly eager to help me once they found out I had purchased the vehicle at a dealership out of the area. It will be interesting to see how they handle this service issue.

I'll continue to keep everybody advised to how everything develops.

Thanks again for the spirited discussion.

yes, looking forward to the end result!

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
This is a perfect chance for the dealer close to you to win you over. Foolish they can't see that. I hope it works out.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7

As real as that was, it's complete BS that they wouldn't help you. They are a Ram dealership, right??? In NY, part of the Lemon law is "refusal to repair" clause. All you have to do is send a certified letter putting them on notice. I did it once many years ago and you should see how quickly they call you in.

Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
In the meantime, while we wait for the OP...

After reading through this mess, I have one little comment regarding the PCM/cluster debate...

Most people aren't aware, but it is said that once you tune your truck (with Diablo at least) the PCM stops recording your mileage, or is paused at that mileage. Just an interesting point to add in IMO. Dont kill me

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In the meantime, while we wait for the OP...

After reading through this mess, I have one little comment regarding the PCM/cluster debate...

Most people aren't aware, but it is said that once you tune your truck (with Diablo at least) the PCM stops recording your mileage, or is paused at that mileage. Just an interesting point to add in IMO. Dont kill me

The pcm doesn't store the mileage past what the cluster says on each boot of the car. Did you get to read the entire post ?

Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine

One of the threads in the performance section about tuning not too long ago if I recall... after 6.5 years on this forum the threads become a bit fuzzy lol

Who knows if its accurate information though

OP
OP
B

Beavonthebayou

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Update...the truck is at the original dealer and they are running a bunch of tests in conjunction with corporate engineers from FCA. No news as of this afternoon.

Per discussions with the service manager earlier, the PCM has the number of actual miles stored on it, however the rest of the truck doesn't know that. No error codes were seen or diagnosed.

I'll let y'all know more when I hear more.

blrmkrl83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well that's good to know. I hope what the service manager said is correct. Just goes to show you should take what is said on here(or anywhere) with a bit scepticism. I know I'm guilty of being wrong a time or two.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Update...the truck is at the original dealer and they are running a bunch of tests in conjunction with corporate engineers from FCA. No news as of this afternoon.

Per discussions with the service manager earlier, the PCM has the number of actual miles stored on it, however the rest of the truck doesn't know that. No error codes were seen or diagnosed.

I'll let y'all know more when I hear more.

If i'm wrong, i'll happily admit, I just want accurate information shared. However, i'm more in tune to believe of course that's what he'd tell you, so it's " not that big of a deal ". If he knew that, he would have ordered a new cluster, and sent you on your way. There is absolutely no way he'd know that without doing anything, just because he assumes, doesn't make him right. Curious to see how it turns out myself.

OP
OP
B

Beavonthebayou

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
OK Y'all...got my truck back. It turns out the cluster was faulty, with faulty memory. The PCM had the accurate miles (which matched my mileage log that I kept). Chrysler overnighted a new cluster module, programmed with the correct mileage on it from Detroit to Beaumont, TX so the dealer could install it.

It works fine, and no other problems or complications have arisen.

Mid-County Dodge Ram in Port Arthur, TX did a great job of standing by me and helping the problem get resolved.

If anything else comes up, I'll be sure to let y'all know.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Looks like that worked out for you . you didn't have to get a new truck for just a faulty cluster. I bet you feel better having it taken care of. Some people went to extremes on there thoughts about this. Lmao.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great news!!!!! Hope that is the last issue you ever have so you can just enjoy the crap out of that pretty Ram.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks like that worked out for you . you didn't have to get a new truck for just a faulty cluster. I bet you feel better having it taken care of. Some people went to extremes on there thoughts about this. Lmao.

I did, and I was wrong.
However... this is exactly how the fiat stores the data. None the less, I was wrong, wasn't extreme, but was wrong.

sorry fellas!

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So correct me if im worng

If you buy the PCM for the 2015 -2016 from Dialbo, your milage will not match between PCM and cluster, this in turn could void any warranty should you need to take it in? The things ive read is that if you have a problem just swap back the stock PCM and take it in for service. But if the mileage on the PCM and Cluster dont match that can throw a red flag to dealer?

Was thinking about buying the diablo but now 2nd guessing because of the mileage and warranty thing