OEM brakes replaced at 71k

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
Just changed my OEM brakes, front and rear today at 71k miles. Quite happy with their lifespan. Had to beat the rotors off with a sledgehammer, parking brakes were fine, they get exercised often. I had a small rear axle seal weep on passenger side rear— didn’t have a new inner seal and didn’t really want to dive into it right now, so buttoned it up and will tackle another time and change the bearing while I’m at it.

Decided to replace with Napa ultra premium pads and Napa adaptive One slotted rotors. Amazingly all the OEM pads were even, probably could have squeezed another 5k miles out of them, but not worth the safety risk.

New rotors are super nice, got the whole package 20% off, paid $930 out the door. Did get a quote from a local CDJR dealer for the economy mopar rotors and pads for around $1300 installed. Doing the work myself saved me money for much better product. After the grease, brake cleaner, penatrating fluid and a c clamp I was more like $1000 for everything.

I took my time and cleaned the caliper brackets really well, only had to file down three brake pads slightly to slide smoothly.

I haven’t felt my brake peddle this far up in a long time, feels nice. No need for write up and instructions, Ram brake job videos are a plenty on YouTube.

Anyone else squeeze 71k miles out of their OEM brakes? 50k miles of town and highway and 20k miles towing 6-14k trailers. My truck is 7400lbs, but having a hemi and not a Cummins must help with brake longevity.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got 76k from the OEM pads on a 2018 1500 crew cab with the 3.6L V6. The lighter weight probably helped with longevity. Fortunately I live in the southern US and use my parking brake daily so the rear rotors were just a few love taps worth of removal. Adjustment of the parking brake is a PITA but an easier job without the rust.

Curmudgeon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I had my brakes done at the dealer, was already in for a list of work.
Work done 03/2022 at 95,000 miles.
Total for all 4 wheels was $1091.00, parts and labor.

But that was 03/2022. At the rates of inflation we're seeing these I have no doubt those prices have increased substantially.

My truck's details are below my avatar. And those 95k miles were at least 80% - 90% highway.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
56,000 miles on mine and pads still measure 8-9mm thick. Min. for change is around 3mm

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
My '19 3500 DRW had @68K on it when it met its demise and the pads were close to 80%. Approx 10% towing 41' toy hauler. Love the exhaust brake. The '24 has had an easier life, so far.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I've got a 16 Laramie with 82k on it still has OEM original brakes. Just changed pads not rotors on 14RT at 75k. If all your miles are highway then you will get longer brake life. Stop and go, not so much.

I would not use miles as an indicator of brake life. My .02

OP
OP
E

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
All my pads measured 3mm with one pad at 1.5 mm on one side because one of the slide pins was dry. The backs of the pads disintegrated upon removal and my brakes were squeaking and the dust production has been exponentially increasing over the past 20k miles.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Finally had mine done (at the dealer) at 100K... had no sign of any problem but just figured it was time and the truck was in for some other things. I don't tow a lot... maybe 6-8K of those miles. Driving is a mix or city and highway. I am getting to be a bit of an old guy and drive a lot easier than I used to :) I thought of getting them done elsewhere with other brand parts but with 100K and great performance I just couldn't see why.

2500 Hemi 6.4.

Edit - meant to leave the cost and forgot. IIRC, it was around $1000 for all four corners parts/labor. Of course that was +/- 3 years ago before the great economic "recovery" we're currently in :p:rolleyes:

Last edited:

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
My ‘16 power wagon just crept passed 100k miles…still have the original brakes.

I had about 95k on my '17 Wagon. Only reason I changed them was because the pedal started to feel mushy, turns out I had a front caliper pin seize up, I don't recall which one.

FWIW I was into it a LOT cheaper than it sounds like most people here were, I think all 4 corners, no new rotors (mine were fine just cleaned them up) but new calipers/brackets/pads all the way around came to around $600. Bought all at Advance Auto, never had a problem with their products (even less now that they also carry CarQuest), and a HECK of a lot cheaper than Napa. A $6 tube of brake caliper grease, even full synthetic, set me back $18 at the local Napa. RV antifreeze that I usually buy for $3-5/bottle at Walmart cost me $8/bottle at Napa. No thanks, Napa used to be awesome but they're just WAY overpriced anymore.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Napa used to be awesome but they're just WAY overpriced anymore.
X2 - Their prices are at/above dealer on my Honda Odyssey that is my daily driver. I haven't compared Ram parts as I just go to the dealer w/warranty. For years NAPA was a great compromise of value and quality but I'm not so sure anymore.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
X2 - Their prices are at/above dealer on my Honda Odyssey that is my daily driver. I haven't compared Ram parts as I just go to the dealer w/warranty. For years NAPA was a great compromise of value and quality but I'm not so sure anymore.

I've got other stories of it too. My FIL used to buy Amsoil for one of his diesel trucks from the local Napa because they could order it, the dealer he was going to at the time couldn't. I showed it to him on Amazon for about 20% less and he did some other shopping around and found it even cheaper somewhere else.

Our local one doesn't carry nearly as much as they used to, either. Which is a shame, because I remember going to my grandparents' in the summer as a kid, and whenever grandpa needed a part for pretty much anything, their local Napa had it, and had it cheap.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Edit - meant to leave the cost and forgot. IIRC, it was around $1000 for all four corners parts/labor. Of course that was +/- 3 years ago before the great economic "recovery" we're currently in :p:rolleyes:
No kidding about inflation. Scared to walk in the grocery.

What did you have done for $1,000? Just pads? "Feels" like a fortune for brake work but maybe out out of touch with current labor.

I'm only at 55K with plenty of pad left but the squeaking is getting old. Last summer, I removed all the pads and applied brake grease on the back side. Was quiet for the first 500ft... uhg.

zrock

Reaction score
Usually always get more than that on brakes... Probably should have changed your parking brake pads while you were in their. I always see then delaminate and fall apart at some point for the price they are cheap to do while you are in their.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What did you have done for $1,000? Just pads? "Feels" like a fortune for brake work but maybe out out of touch with current labor.
I probably should remember but don't..... I'm thinking it was all new rotors and pads. That seems to be the way of the world these days. No one wants to resurface the rotors.... just throw them away and buy new. I do remember thinking/hoping to not have to worry about for another 100K so it was probably all new parts. $1000 is/was pretty steep but for that many miles I'm okay with it. One of my past trucks was a 1999 F150 and I swear that thing needed brakes every other oil change.

I always have to laugh when the whole 1500/2500 towing debates are going around. Everyone just wants to know about payload, tow rating, etc. but no one every talks about brakes. IMO, brakes between a 1/2 and 3/4 ton are one of the biggest improvements and pretty amazing on the HD trucks these days. Fwiw, the brakes on my 2006 Dmax gave me similar longevity to the ones on my Ram.

OP
OP
E

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
I did all four rotors and pads for $930 myself. Rears Rotors were 214 apiece and fronts were 180. Pads were 170ish a pair. Then I took 20% off. I could have sourced parts for half the cost, but why cheap out when they potentially could last 75k to 100k miles.

Again, I was quoted at the dealer with labor and their economy rotors 1300. The OEM rotors would have added another 300-400.

Inflation is no good, but when service prices increase past a certain point those who can will begin to do it themselves, three hours of my time is worth $500 anyday. Unfortunately we better get use to doing things ourselves, because their is a whole generation of people who don’t know what a Phillips head is and will have to pay. They have adapted to making cell phone videos of their super fantastic fake lives. Although with common sense not being taught anymore it’s better some of these don’t try, probably end up crushed.

Last edited:

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I did all four rotors and pads for $930 myself. Rears Rotors were 214 apiece and fronts were 180. Pads were 170ish a pair. Then I took 20% off. I could have sourced parts for half the cost, but why cheap out when they potentially could last 75k to 100k miles.

Again, I was quoted at the dealer with labor and their economy rotors 1300. The OEM rotors would have added another 300-400.

Again, Napa is overpriced today. Advance's CarQuest Platinum rotors are $106 for fronts, $156 for rears. Almost half the cost of Napa for parts that are just as good. And that's BEFORE any discounts, they've routinely got 15% discounts going.

Not saying you didn't get a good deal from Napa, just that there's better deals out there for just as good parts.

Your dealer is pretty high though - with factory OEM parts I was quoted $1k to do all four corners on my Wagon last year, and their labor rates haven't changed yet (I keep tabs on it because we try to keep our working relationship with them good).

OP
OP
E

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
Unfortunately I live in commifornia, so maybe that explains the high price. My particular county is being flooded with Bay Area zoom meeting workers that will gladly pay whatever price they are told it is. Home prices in this area have gone up 50% from pre covid levels.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Demon Hunter 441