OEM wheel not fitting spare tire hoist carrier on 2014 RAM 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geogee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why does RAM install a steel spare wheel with 3" center hole and spare carrier bracket width at 2 3/4"?

The OEM 20" wheels center hole measures 2 1/4" and will not allow the spare tire carrier fit through the hole. RAM doesn't want OEM wheels used as spares?
01.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg

I've read some say, ya just remove the cladding. The cladding is solid aluminum, I don't see how it can be removed.

Am I missing something here?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ebaaa has 20” steel wheels now ,another option is to cut a slot in the bracket that goes thru the wheel , so you would be able to remove the bracket from the cable ,slide cable thru wheel then reattach bracket ,then lift tire back into place

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have no idea why it was designed this way, but the OEM aluminum wheels center hole is too small for the spare wheel lift plate. A steel wheel with the larger center hole is needed for the spare. If you search spare wheels I'm sure you will see more on this topic.

OP
OP
G

Geogee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Daw14, your idea is good way to remove the holding bracket but the way its designed it has a raised round dome designed to fit a 3" hole, so it looks like it wouldn't support the smaller wheel center hole properly. Its like will need to buy a holding support bracket designed for a 2 1/4" hole. I looked at dorman to se if they make anything aftermaket, but did not find anything.

Badger13, I guess the only choice then is to buy a steel wheel with 3" center hole or see if there is a spare tire winch/lift available that would fit the RAM with a 2 1/4" holder and use my existing wheel as spare.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ram isnt really the greatest on design.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, that is what I did. I had the steel "temporary" wheel & tire. I found a used steel wheel at a boneyard, and put on a tire that match the tire size on the truck. It was harder to find a steel wheel then an aluminum, so I'm glad I had read earlier post that the aluminum wheels didn't work for spares due to the center hole size.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Some trims have a full size spare on a steel wheel. Mine for example came with the same 20" sra as the other 4 just on a steel wheel so if you get lucky a wrecker may have one.