Off Road Package, MPG, and Gear Ratio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballgame168

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Long time lurker, first time poster. So I made up my mind to go 3.21 after driving both this and a 3.92 back to back. Then found out that the off road package (which I have wanted mainly for 1” lift on air ride since there are no other lift packages for this option) requires 3.92 b/c of elocker.

I don’t really tow, and admittedly, I am not going to do serious off-roading, at worst mud and fields while hunting and deep snow and ice during bad storms. I am planning to get a Limited with the regular Hemi but I do care about MPG and I am reading some horror stories about ORP and 3.92. Other people are saying 3.92 is not a major difference and really depends on how you drive.

My other option would be to add the protection package (skid plates), add anti slip diff, 20” wheels, and keep 3.21 for same cost as off road package. I would not get 1” lift, upgraded shocks, elocker, full size spare, hill descent control or off road tires. Though I think I would get potentially much better gas mileage. Or do I just get the ORP, call it a day and hope for the best.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Last edited:

slim chance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 eTorque
in 2009 we gave up on dodges and bought the first of many toyota tundras .. about 3 weeks ago we traded the 2016 tundra trd limited for a 2019 laramie 5.7 hemi with etorque, sports package and tow package w/3.92 ... our first gas check at 300 miles calculated by hand gave us 17.2 mpg with mixed driving and alot of idling to setup the MANY options, it is not intuitive, then on a 30 gal fillup with about 50/50 local/hiway driving the hand calculation gave us 22.5 mpg ... i did not think i would like the etorque but i think it is helping give the better mpg because you do not loose mpg while stopped and idling (the engine stops) .. i might add the ram computer has been within o.2 mpg each gas check .... today on a mainly local tank of gas i am showing 19.5 mpg .. we have about 1,500 miles on this truck so far and i am happy with the 5.7 hemi etorque with 3.92 rear

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What horror stories have you read regarding the Off Road package and 3.92 gears?

I have not heard anything negative about either and would like to have that package on my next truck since it's a fairly cheap upgrade.

OP
OP
B

ballgame168

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On another forum some people have been saying there is a 3-5 MPG hit. It seems like these trucks are hit or miss MPG-wise for some people. Some getting 13-15 MPG while some getting high teens. A few people with Rebels (which seem similar to a Limited with ORG b/c of 1" lift and 3.92 but also larger tires) get around 18 combined. Definitely seems like MPG is going up for some people as the engine breaks in. I think I am just going to suck it up and get the non-etorque Hemi with ORG and 3.92.

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
To me, a 3.21 range ratio does not always mean better mpg. If a truck does mainly highway cruising, then a 3.21 might be fine. But throw in some hills, some recreational driving, cargo, different tires, etc. and a 3.92 range ratio won't cause the engine to work as hard in those situations. A lot of stop and go driving probably ends up with the same approximate mpg no matter what ratio.

I learned after having 3.42 GMC and a 3.55 Ford that my next truck was going to have either a 3.73 or 3.92 depending on the brand. I'm getting 16-17 mpg combination of short driving and some highway. The old F150, 4.6L, 3.55 was 12-13 at best when I quit checking it a couple of years ago.

I would rank a 3.55 far above a 3.21 if I had to choose between those two options.

kballousr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2019 Limited with the eTorque and 3.92 and love it. I also have the 3.92 in my 2013 Laramie Sport. Both were 4x4s. I avg. 21-23 mpg and I do mostly highway miles. On my 2016 Laramie 4x4 I had the 3.21 and got 15-18 mpg doing the same style of driving. I won't trade the 3.92 rear-end in my Ram for anything else. I haul a 900lb Triumph motorcycle and the combination of the 4 corner suspension and the 3.92 she just works it out and my mpg is awesome and that using 87 octane. I think its preference but I don't have any horror stories and my mpg with have been better than without.

aaron_Rockwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have cc Laramie sport with 3.92 off road package 1000 miles on it and so far I have to work at it to get 14 mpg mixed but not much hwy

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have a laramie with off road package and 3.92. When I figure my mileage by hand I am getting 2 mpg better than what the computer says. I am at 16 mpg in town but the computer says 14. I think you can get a 3.55 with elocker and offraod package now.

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Long time lurker, first time poster. So I made up my mind to go 3.21 after driving both this and a 3.92 back to back. Then found out that the off road package (which I have wanted mainly for 1” lift on air ride since there are no other lift packages for this option) requires 3.92 b/c of elocker.

I don’t really tow, and admittedly, I am not going to do serious off-roading, at worst mud and fields while hunting and deep snow and ice during bad storms. I am planning to get a Limited with the regular Hemi but I do care about MPG and I am reading some horror stories about ORP and 3.92. Other people are saying 3.92 is not a major difference and really depends on how you drive.

My other option would be to add the protection package (skid plates), add anti slip diff, 20” wheels, and keep 3.21 for same cost as off road package. I would not get 1” lift, upgraded shocks, elocker, full size spare, hill descent control or off road tires. Though I think I would get potentially much better gas mileage. Or do I just get the ORP, call it a day and hope for the best.

Anybody have any thoughts?

I had a 16 laramie CC shortbed with the 5.7 and 3.21 gears with upgraded tires an inch over factory I got about 15-16mpg combined and around 18-19 on highway as long as I kept it below 72. I traded it in on a 2500 with the 6.4 hemi with 4.10 gears and so far roughly close to same mpg as my 1500 with larger tires. It really depends on how you drive them and would def go with the etourque.

I was going to trade up to the 19 limited with the etourque but decided on a 2500 limited megacab for the extra payload. I would have went with offroad package for the higher ride hieght and the 3.92 rear.

QuasarZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Rebel with 450 miles is averaging 15.6 with mixed driving.