Oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
So at what mileage y’all did the first Oil change
The computer says I got 35 % life on my oil filter life and I got around 9000 miles
If you google it it says 19 models can go up to 15k miles before changing the oil
I use the oil life percentage. Mileage works if engine hours are nearly all highway miles. I’m in a big city. A lot of sitting in traffic clocking idle time or <40mph speeds. In fact I’m headed to the dealer today for an oil change. 25% oil life w/7k miles since the last service. Also handling the rubber floor mat recall today. Service rep said they only order the replacement mat when you come in for it, they don’t stock them. Maybe just this dealership that does that IDK.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
ill be honest. if someone says these engines are hard to change the oil and drain pan is to small and oil spooges everywhere, its rubs me the wrong way because i know better. with some thought (very little) and simple enginuity (small piece of cardboard like puzza box any other small flat piece of material laying around the house to hold between draglink and funnel opening) you hardly spill a drop.
when the filter is fully unthreaded dont pull it off the block or you get a big rush of oil . keep light pressure and tilt it slightly or just barely pull it away from the block. now the big gush is a managable small stream right into the funnel and into your drain pan
ive found these 6.4 to be easy and mess free. try changing a toyota 3.4 upside dow filter and not dump it on your face
So true. I don't know the gush you mention. Drain pan first, no gush?

I can drain the pan directly into an oil recycle jug. Find it on Amazon.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I generally always change my own oil and never spill or make a mess so I don't understand the few times I have had the dealership change it they can't manage to spill oil all over the engine bay... must not know which end of the funnel to use

OP
OP
Lilbxl

Lilbxl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I did not make a mess at all. Once I got the filter loose, I just let it drain until it started dripping. Oil fell into the pan and into my catch bucket. No mess.