Oil drops in driveway, ac dropping water in driveway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cordwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lonestar Hemi 5.7, 4x4, 8speed, 3.21, LSD, 32gal fuel tank, CC short bed
2017 ram 5.7L cc, 35k miles

I have a large number of what looks like brown oil drops stained in the driveway, New over the last month or so.

When I look under the truck all I'm seeing right now is (water?) dripping from under the hood, approximately right in front of the passenger side.

When touch this liquid dripping down it seems like just water dripping off the frame, is this where water would normally drip from the AC?

However there's now all these stained spots in the driveway which are brown like oil when you touch them.

Does it sound like I missed some thing and the two are unrelated? Could the AC water, if that's what it is, be collecting grease on its way down causing this stain drops? When I put my finger on the wet dripping frame it appeared clear like water. I'm confused at the staining.

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
2017 ram 5.7L cc, 35k miles

I have a large number of what looks like brown oil drops stained in the driveway, New over the last month or so.

When I look under the truck all I'm seeing right now is (water?) dripping from under the hood, approximately right in front of the passenger side.

When touch this liquid dripping down it seems like just water dripping off the frame, is this where water would normally drip from the AC?

However there's now all these stained spots in the driveway which are brown like oil when you touch them.

Does it sound like I missed some thing and the two are unrelated? Could the AC water, if that's what it is, be collecting grease on its way down causing this stain drops? When I put my finger on the wet dripping frame it appeared clear like water. I'm confused at the staining.
Doubtful anything is coming out of the AC. The drops are normal condensation from the AC running. You know like your cold glass of tea sweating.

For the oil or brown... That you need to look into further. Maybe take and spray wash under the truck. Cleaning and residual oil from underneath. Then drive normal, when parked at home see what drops. Ensure the type of fluid - engine oil, brake fluid, power steering fluid, transmission, and lastly antifreeze.

If possible, post a few pictures, and describe what it smells like.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Might be an obvious question but when was your last oil change? Does it line up with when you started noticing the spots on the driveway?

OP
OP
C

Cordwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ill have to investigate better. I'm used to a condensation drops my whole life but not the staining.

I didn't see any other obvious oil leaks. Looks dry underneath other than the AC I think I saw. That AC condensation does drip in front of the passenger side?

I'm currently due for an oil change now, problem started recently so was not brought on immediately after the last change.

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Water gets trapped in the hood. When I removed the hood sealing strip to install my bug guard I observed it. Don't know how it's getting in there maybe rain or spray from a carwash.

OP
OP
C

Cordwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK so I located the AC condensation outlet and yes it's where I had asked, in front of the passenger side. The puddle is there as normal.

However a separate oil leak appears to be coming from a leaking strut in front of that AC puddle a foot or 2. Passenger front strut

Hopefully that's under power train warranty?

Bart Swisher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It may just be water that has been there for a long time and is finding its way out. Anyone who has ever installed running boards on these trucks and pulled the front cab mount bolts will know all about the nasty black water that comes running out.

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
OK so I located the AC condensation outlet and yes it's where I had asked, in front of the passenger side. The puddle is there as normal.

However a separate oil leak appears to be coming from a leaking strut in front of that AC puddle a foot or 2. Passenger front strut

Hopefully that's under power train warranty?
The strut is a possible problem. Also, look near the brake calipers.

I hope the dealer will cover the strut; but unlikely. IMHO, if the dealer doesn't warranty the struts. You might consider another mechanic for replacements. The dealer will charge 200%+ than a reasonable cost. Consider replacing two struts, both front. Also, once done, a front end alignment is a great insurance.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
C

Cordwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks everyone.

Dealer does not waranty it and quoted $400+ per strut.

Here is a picture. Sorry if I use the wrong words here...

https://imgur.com/a/RFD26Am

The whole strut assembly... The strut or main "tube" part inside the coil spring is soaked up as far as I can see. it goes in a sleeve sort of, it's wet all up in it.

Everything else around here is clean. And the opposite side of the truck is 100% dry on that strut.

Id like some verification if anyone has has experience with it, or if this is indeed what happens when they leak, but I have to assume it's got to be a leaking strut, oil coming down the Strut itself and then dripping on to and off of the coil.

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Thanks everyone.

Dealer does not waranty it and quoted $400+ per strut.

Here is a picture. Sorry if I use the wrong words here...

https://imgur.com/a/RFD26Am

The whole strut assembly... The strut or main "tube" part inside the coil spring is soaked up as far as I can see. it goes in a sleeve sort of, it's wet all up in it.

Everything else around here is clean. And the opposite side of the truck is 100% dry on that strut.

Id like some verification if anyone has has experience with it, but I have to assume it's got to be a leaking strut, oil coming down the Strut itself and then dripping on to and off of the coil.
I must be missing it... Where is the leak on the picture? What I see seems normal 'dirt'.

OP
OP
C

Cordwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's hard to tell but the strut is all wet, almost like a wet grease layer, and then the coil has oil dripping off it where it all accumulates down. very slowly, but enough to leave drops daily in the driveway.

Either that or something is spraying it from elsewhere but it looks clean everywhere else.

And to compare the driver side. The strut and coil are dry and clean all over.

Looking at that picture I posted, the bottom left of the coil has a little black spot, that is the actual drip accumulating.

OP
OP
C

Cordwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Heres a better attempt at photos

https://imgur.com/a/3C6DQsU

3C6DQsU

3C6DQsU

OP
OP
C

Cordwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes I suppose if I even just wipe it down I can possibly pin point it better. It's definitely a leak though and not just residual.

Its picked up heavier over the past month, that droplet spot I pointed at drops each time I leave and park, there's probably 100 drops on the driveway from this month unfortunately. Definitely a leak

OP
OP
C

Cordwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK thanks, I was looking at more leaking strut /shock pics online definitely matches up w mine looks like.

Money's tight right now so I'll likely do it myself.

Strut assembly is about $220 each at my local Napa.

Is there anything I should know or be looking for with difference in ride quality, ordering specific types of shocks? I've always felt these newish rams felt bouncy but I'm not sure if that's just by design. Could specific shocks "tighten" up that issue?

Otherwise I'll just get whatever stocked at napa

AngryBish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK thanks, I was looking at more leaking strut /shock pics online definitely matches up w mine looks like.

Is there anything I should know or be looking for with difference in ride quality, ordering specific types of shocks? I've always felt these newish rams felt bouncy but I'm not sure if that's just by design. Could specific shocks "tighten" up that issue?

I can’t comment on specific shocks. But if you’re a novice, I’d recommend hiring a shop to do the shock assembly. Compressing a truck coil at home is terrifying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel

You might be able to rent the strut compression tool instead of buying. If you've done this before you know to be careful. The strut springs are under a lot of tension.