Oil leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Works

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Just got my "new to me" certified 2016 Ram Laramie with 30K miles. Yesterday as I was leaving for work I noticed oil spots in my driveway. I looked closer and there were many spots but my truck was blocking me from seeing them. Obviously I don't park it in the exact spot every day so I didn't see the other oil spots. I scheduled a service appointment with my dealer next Monday. I checked the oil level and it is good.

This weekend I will crawl under the truck to try and pinpoint the leak. I hope this is something minor. I have had the truck for 2 months now and things were going great.

Kernal Clink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
Good luck with the dealer checking it out. Is it possible that another vehicle could be the culprit?

Asynd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 4.7
noticed my truck leaking oil too. just got mine last weekend, 143k miles. My oil pan is extremely grimy and rusty so i have no doubt oil is leaking through a crack or something similar. It's currently at a mechanic, will post results.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Check and make sure your oil filter is tight. If they aren't put on a bit more tightly than normal they tend to become loose.

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^X2 on the oil filter, you may be pleasantly surprised thats all it is. If in doubt just replaced it with a good
quality RP, Amsoil, or Fram and make sure you clean the gasket mating surface....

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Go to a self spray car wash & clean the engine good. Then drive home & check it. You should be able to spot the source.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I’d go back to the dealership and have them check it out. It did come with a warranty right?

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
"Certified" pre-owned is one of the biggest dealer scams out there in my opinion. I have yet to see one that did not have that bazillion point check list pencil whipped before being thrown on the lot. So long as the miles are low, they just detail them and throw them on the lot most times without ever even looking them over.

You should not have to, but I would either inspect it yourself or pay a independent mechanic to go over it.

msully725

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As others have said, check the oil filter. If you see a drop of oil forming on the bottom of the filter can, that's the leak. I usually have to tighten as tight as I would on other vehicles, and then give it a few more 1/8 turns.