Old Man Emu Suspenion /ARB Bumpers Released

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
https://arbusa.com/dodge-ram-1500-2009-present/old-man-emu-4x4-suspension/

Info is limited, but im closely following the progression of this. OME makes nice stuff. Not necessarily gonna be a "Big/Tall" kit, but should provide much above average performance. My local shop ok4wd is supposedly carrying them so ill see if I can check one out soon.

Like everything its not for everyone, but at sub 1k for a complete kit it sounds promising and the aussies def abuse their kits. Not sure how I like the bumper, but again that's just me. More options are always welcome.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I saw there kits. Waiting for some reviews. I’ve been leaning towards 6112 so wanting to see if they end up releasing something comparable.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I saw there kits. Waiting for some reviews. I’ve been leaning towards 6112 so wanting to see if they end up releasing something comparable.

I still love my 6112s, but my ecodiesel has them maxxed out and I only got 2" after they settled. Added the RC spacers like you to get a bit more out of it. I'm really considering this kit for the spring time. The added weight capacity options might help with all my gripes of my truck not gaining the lift I wanted due to the weight of everything.

I want to run a decked system, add a bumper and winch etc and I've had limited options aside from fully custom. Considering this is my DD @40-50k a year for miles, I need something with lower maintenance. For giggles I really might grab this kit, just waiting to see some info from down under first

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I still love my 6112s, but my ecodiesel has them maxxed out and I only got 2" after they settled. Added the RC spacers like you to get a bit more out of it. I'm really considering this kit for the spring time. The added weight capacity options might help with all my gripes of my truck not gaining the lift I wanted due to the weight of everything.

I want to run a decked system, add a bumper and winch etc and I've had limited options aside from fully custom. Considering this is my DD @40-50k a year for miles, I need something with lower maintenance. For giggles I really might grab this kit, just waiting to see some info from down under first
That’s my concern. I’m already running a bumper and that’s why I added the spacers. I still want to add a winch and I’m concerned from all that added weight. I plan on building rock sliders as well and eventually setting my truck up for camping/over landing. On board Water, and probably a custom camp trailer at some point. The added weight capacity would be great.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You guys will prob benefit from the medium load kit. But you can switch to the heavier springs as needed. I did some mock up in another thread with the springs specs. OME list the actual specs in their super catalog and not just the marketing one. This is the cool thing about OME stuff is they have specs for you to play with different weigths so you can play with spring loads and mix and match as needed. Heavy front with medium rear, medium front with extra heavy rear etc. All the rear springs are longer than stock as opposed to the tuff truck ones, same with the shocks so they're tuned and matched to the springs. In the front is where OME mops the floor with Bilstein, different springs and tuned struts than can survive the heavier of their springs. Don't mix 5100 with OME heavies they're not going to like the rates. I'm surprised it took this long for OME to enter this market.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Springs
front have all the same rates, main difference is height in each version. Lights are 16.33" from there 1/2" more to mediums, 1/2" for the heavy ones
Rears have all the same height, 20.27" but they vary the rate, all longer than stock. Another plus.
So what they list for height will be a suprise for some. Spring rate are linear so it'll be a huge lift with the heavy ones in the back if you didn't have weight in your truck bed. the 3167's will the equivalent of something like 2" springs, but at 220lbs/inch they just a touch heavier than stock just like Eibach or Bisltein 1" springs. again OME make things thinking about load not cosmetics :), super easy to visualize your height when you know your load vs your spring rates.

BDS 3" rear springs are 20.87" 240lbs/inch to put things in perspective.

OME specs
220 lbs/inch for the lights, 20.27" long
280 lbs/inch for the mediums, 20.27" long
340 lbs/inch for the heavy, 20.27" long

upload_2021-1-9_23-18-50-png.233479

Strut and shocks.
Rear shocks are the same lenght, 27.5" extended, 16.65 compressed. These shocks are 2" longer than stock. Woo wooo :)
Front struts are standard lenght, 21.22" extended, 15.43 compressed. If they're like with Toyotas these have a regular perch (not adjustable) so you lift with the springs. you'll correct your driver lean with the trim packers. Another bonus.

upload_2021-1-9_23-19-57-png.233480

clip_image003.png

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You guys will prob benefit from the medium load kit. But you can switch to the heavier springs as needed. I did some mock up in another thread with the springs specs. OME list the actual specs in their super catalog and not just the marketing one. This is the cool thing about OME stuff is they have specs for you to play with different weigths so you can play with spring loads and mix and match as needed. Heavy front with medium rear, medium front with extra heavy rear etc. All the rear springs are longer than stock as opposed to the tuff truck ones, same with the shocks so they're tuned and matched to the springs. In the front is where OME mops the floor with Bilstein, different springs and tuned struts than can survive the heavier of their springs. Don't mix 5100 with OME heavies they're not going to like the rates. I'm surprised it took this long for OME to enter this market.
Any idea on shock body size? I think that’s a huge concern as well.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also I wonder if they’ll design a snorkel as well to compete with AEV

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
That’s my concern. I’m already running a bumper and that’s why I added the spacers. I still want to add a winch and I’m concerned from all that added weight. I plan on building rock sliders as well and eventually setting my truck up for camping/over landing. On board Water, and probably a custom camp trailer at some point. The added weight capacity would be great.
The ride is awesome, so I'm leery to go changing much. But these bilstein coils aren't a fan of any extra weight at all. My truck is more of a pack mule, work truck, fire road mobster than anything so as much as I want kings, they'd honestly be a waste of money. Especially since I'd be looking at yearly rebuilds. I'll be selling my jeep this spring so whatever I get from that will be recycled into the truck. Right now is planning stages.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Springs
front have all the same rates, main difference is height in each version. Lights are 16.33" from there 1/2" more to mediums, 1/2" for the heavy ones
Rears have all the same height, 20.27" but they vary the rate, all longer than stock. Another plus.
So what they list for height will be a suprise for some. Spring rate are linear so it'll be a huge lift with the heavy ones in the back if you didn't have weight in your truck bed. the 3167's will the equivalent of something like 2" springs, but at 220lbs/inch they just a touch heavier than stock just like Eibach or Bisltein 1" springs. again OME make things thinking about load not cosmetics :), super easy to visualize your height when you know your load vs your spring rates.

BDS 3" rear springs are 20.87" 240lbs/inch to put things in perspective.

OME specs
220 lbs/inch for the lights, 20.27" long
280 lbs/inch for the mediums, 20.27" long
340 lbs/inch for the heavy, 20.27" long

upload_2021-1-9_23-18-50-png.233479

Strut and shocks.
Rear shocks are the same lenght, 27.5" extended, 16.65 compressed. These shocks are 2" longer than stock. Woo wooo :)
Front struts are standard lenght, 21.22" extended, 15.43 compressed. If they're like with Toyotas these have a regular perch (not adjustable) so you lift with the springs. you'll correct your driver lean with the trim packers. Another bonus.

upload_2021-1-9_23-19-57-png.233480

clip_image003.png
As always bro you're on your game! I've been looking for the specs of this kit. I LOVE how OME gives you tons of options.

For comparison sake

Bilstein 6112 coils
Rate- unknown, I'd assume 600/inlbs
Length- 16" free height
Struts are same as stock specs

Rear coils
19.5" free length
Rate- stock or less

BDS Fox 2.0 rear shocks for 3" lift
28" extended
16.5" compressed (iirc)

Looking at the specs listed and for the price (under 1k from OK4wd local to me) I think I'll try this kit out. I've wanted to add a bumper/winch/decked bed system for a while now, but the added weight would render my truck liftless. The clayton springs solved the rear, but aside from a high dollar high maintenance front setup I've been stuck. This is perfect for guys like me who set it and forget it and beat the **** out of it

Pretty sure the nitrocharger stuff is twin tube, which is meh, buttttt, I'm not running Baja, so for me I don't think I'd ever find the limits of their capabilities. If anything, my suspension is almost too soft and becomes a wallowy mess with a load of any type.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As always bro you're on your game! I've been looking for the specs of this kit. I LOVE how OME gives you tons of options.

For comparison sake

Bilstein 6112 coils
Length- 16" free height

Rear coils
19.5" free length
Rate- stock or less

28" extended
16.5" compressed (iirc)

Looking at the specs listed and for the price (under 1k from OK4wd local to me) I think I'll try this kit out. I've wanted to add a bumper/winch/decked bed system for a while now, but the added weight would render my truck liftless. The clayton springs solved the rear, but aside from a high dollar high maintenance front setup I've been stuck. This is perfect for guys like me who set it and forget it and beat the **** out of it

Pretty sure the nitrocharger stuff is twin tube, which is meh, buttttt, I'm not running Baja, so for me I don't think I'd ever find the limits of their capabilities. If anything, my suspension is almost too soft and becomes a wallowy mess with a load of any type.

How old are your 6112? If they are still decent I may be interested in them if you do switch. I’m definitely interested in the emu suspension but want something large body but am in the same boat as you and want something low maintenance. Hell my truck doesn’t even get washed but twice a year.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
How old are your 6112? If they are still decent I may be interested in them if you do switch. I’m definitely interested in the emu suspension but want something large body but am in the same boat as you and want something low maintenance. Hell my truck doesn’t even get washed but twice a year.
Aside from the normal "Bilstein Fade" that the coating gets they are 100% fine. I'd say about 50k on them. I spray them with wd40 during the winter to try and help fight the salt and it seems to work, they just aren't shiny anymore. Again, my biggest grip is they didn't like the weight of my eco diesel, so forget about any bumper for me. I'll keep you posted, I'm gonna reach out and speak with my guy at the local shop.

In the beginning I was looking to run a set up like Dario and get kings, but work has me so busy and going 5-6 days a week for the foreseeable future so everything has changed. I need to be pretty much self sufficient for tools and such, so I need the capacity and durability.

Biggest thing is I need to sit down and get some good idea of what my weights are gonna be.

I'm pretty sure I'll need the heavy front to combat the weights, but the rear I need to be careful. It'll either be medium or heavy for sure.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any idea on shock body size? I think that’s a huge concern as well.
They're a twin tube design but i don't know about sizes. Don't know what they do with the internals either but they don't fade as quick as traditional shocks. they're not race shocks though, so no adjustability, they're not serviceable, you can't revalve them etc. I know they had some versions with a little reservoir before in some applications, plus they have also the BP-51 which is their race version, not exactly a King or Fox setup but it works for some :). They're not pretty shocks compared for example to a 5100 so i know for some the color and roughness on the shock body don't appear impressive. They're tough shocks for what they're for sure. I've have OME literally in every offroad ride i had before where OME was available.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Aside from the normal "Bilstein Fade" that the coating gets they are 100% fine. I'd say about 50k on them. I spray them with wd40 during the winter to try and help fight the salt and it seems to work, they just aren't shiny anymore. Again, my biggest grip is they didn't like the weight of my eco diesel, so forget about any bumper for me. I'll keep you posted, I'm gonna reach out and speak with my guy at the local shop.

In the beginning I was looking to run a set up like Dario and get kings, but work has me so busy and going 5-6 days a week for the foreseeable future so everything has changed. I need to be pretty much self sufficient for tools and such, so I need the capacity and durability.

Biggest thing is I need to sit down and get some good idea of what my weights are gonna be.

I'm pretty sure I'll need the heavy front to combat the weights, but the rear I need to be careful. It'll either be medium or heavy for sure.

You can customize the OME's in any color you want :)
I wanted to match my Fox 2.0 rear so i just painted them in silver (had OME long in the front)
Before
32541971474_0889e7c12c_k.jpg20170311_080904 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

After
33384941325_a2a61964d9_k.jpg20170311_093830 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

After that the yellow is a thing of the past :)
33811527811_32058e3281_k.jpg20170409_123540 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad to see more love for our platform. OME was the first lift I did on my Taco, and as already stated OME makes some really nice complete kits.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

For comparison sake

Bilstein 6112 coils
Length- 16" free height

Rear coils
19.5" free length
Rate- stock or less

28" extended
16.5" compressed (iirc)

I have them listed in my excel spreadsheets, i just don't know how much lift they'll provide until somebody gets a set first, then he/she can measure from there it should be easy to figure where the other spring will do for lift

For now i have them like this:

Springs
OME Front 3163 2" ?? 16.33 free lenght 4x4 - Stock Bumper, 600lbs/inch
OME Front 3164 2" ?? 16.73 free lenght 4x4 - Steel Bumper, 600lbs/inch
OME Front 3165 2" ?? 16.92 free lenght 4x4 - Steel Bumper + Winch, 600lbs/inch

OME rear 3167 2"? 20.27" free lenght, light load 220 lbs/inc (6% stiffer)
OME rear 3168 2.5"? 20.27 free lenght , medium load 280 lbs/inch (35% Stiffer)
OME rear 3169 3.5"? 20.27 free lenght, heavy load 340 lbs/inch (65% stiffer)

rear shocks
OME OME Twin Tube (Heavy load, OME 3168 springs) 60164 rear 27.48 extended 16.65 compressed 10.83 travel
OME OME Twin Tube , Extra Heavy load (3169 springs) 60165 rear 27.48 extended 16.65 compressed 10.83 travel

front struts
OME 4x4 OME Twin Tube 90044 Front 21.22 extended 15.43 compressed 0-2.5" lift 5.79" travel

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
They're a twin tube design but i don't know about sizes. Don't know what they do with the internals either but they don't fade as quick as traditional shocks. they're not race shocks though, so no adjustability, they're not serviceable, you can't revalve them etc. I know they had some versions with a little reservoir before in some applications, plus they have also the BP-51 which is their race version, not exactly a King or Fox setup but it works for some :). They're not pretty shocks compared for example to a 5100 so i know for some the color and roughness on the shock body don't appear impressive. They're tough shocks for what they're for sure. I've have OME literally in every offroad ride i had before where OME was available.
I have done the same, my jeep had OME before I jumped up in lift height agsin. The yellow doesn't bother me much, but like you said, nothing a can of spray paint can't change.

I'm excited for this option strictly based off the ability to choose a kit for your needs, without much compromise. I'll be honest, there's very few of us that need a race kit, and though the performance is 100% unmatched I cant keep up with the maintenance intervals responsibly.

Rough estimates show I'll likely be hauling 500 or so lbs of gear in the bed constantly.... decked (220) plus about 300lbs of gear. With the diesel, a winch and steel bumper I'm for sure gonna need the heavy front, and looking at your chart, the light or medium rear should suffice. I'm beyond wanting the biggest lift I can get, I'm happy at about the 1.5 rear/2.5 front. Just wanna be able to maintain it loaded down.

When I had 4 adults in my truck with a weekend full of stuff it was for sure a saggy sad mess. I'm having a difficult time tracking down exact weight of front bumpers, so I assume about 200lbs (vice designs) plus a winch and steel cable (100lbs).

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Heck, after seeing this released for our trucks (and Eaton finally releasing the Tru-Trac) I can only hope it leads to what should be coming next.............air locker anyone?!

glad Ram finally got the 4th gens to Australia, we’ll get all the cool stuff now if they sell well!!!!

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Heck, after seeing this released for our trucks (and Eaton finally releasing the Tru-Trac) I can only hope it leads to what should be coming next.............air locker anyone?!

glad Ram finally got the 4th gens to Australia, we’ll get all the cool stuff now if they sell well!!!!
This is for sure! Id love to have an air locker option. Im trying like hell to pay my truck off here soon so I can validate a heavy refresh instead of accruing another car loan all over. The GF is all about it too [emoji41]