overhead computer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dale.E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ya know that little computer readout on the roof there?
tells us our fuel eco, outside temp etc...

I hate mine...

has no features, my truck is a 2005 and my old (died in a headon) 1999 Grand Carvan had a FAR better computer, way more options.
this thing can only tell me average MPG.

are these interchangeable? can I go to a wrecker and find one from a Grand Caravan and swap it out?

I want my DTE and live mpg readouts back!

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dale.E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanx for the bump, I am finding other posts on other forums of several peeps that are/were anoyed with this, but no fix as of yet.

you would think that as simple as a driveing computer is any half modern car would have all these features. its not the 1970's for gods sake.....
little computers to do this are literally 5-7$ at production time.

I may have a work around, have to test it yet but ordered a BluTooth OBDII reader from fleabay last night for 25$ and going to try the Android app 'Torque'
Torque Android App Review & OBDII Bluetooth Adapter - YouTube

wont have the DTE Distance Till Empty feature I dont expect, but should have live MPG and I have found I can really get better fuel eco haveing that.

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ScanGauge can display DTE along with many other things. Not 100% sure about 3rd gen Ram though. You could check their website.

I had a ScanGuage in my Chevy and had it programed to display mileage, DTE, trans temp, and volts.
It reads many more but displays 4 at once. The nice thing is that it's also a code reader. I only sold it because the EVIC on my Ram displays all that stuff stock and I have another code reader. Plus Trans temp as an X-Gauge wasn't available for the 2011 Ram and I like to have that when towing.

drkmtr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an 04 and mine does everything, not sure why a newer one would have limited functions. I don't think the computer is actually in the overhead unit, I believe it's just a display interface.

drkmtr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you post a pic of your current unit? From my research, the only ones I can find for 3rd gens all have full function not just MPG, and it appears that the unit is the same for all models from 02-06.

OP
OP
D

Dale.E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you post a pic of your current unit? From my research, the only ones I can find for 3rd gens all have full function not just MPG, and it appears that the unit is the same for all models from 02-06.

I will in a bit, been slightly swamped at work last few days.

Canada verison if that means anything.

OP
OP
D

Dale.E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Make that the last few weeks, sorry for the delay :(

For the record, the ODB2 Bluetooth dongle thing I got from Fleabay for 17$ and the 5$ app on my Droid phone did it all and a lot more.

Droid users, take note: its called "Torque" does a ton, do yourself a huge favor and look it up!!!

That said, I will have to take another pic of my overhead computer as I cant find the one I did two weeks ago on my phone. Must have deleted it, or my kids did.

ya I will blame them...

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 QC 5spd
Engine
4.7L
Hmm...I know with my 2004 I have everything too...Intresting that yours is a year later and doesn't have it....Might be able to swap out with a 2004 then, but if your happy with the Torque app, than stick with what you like...

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What trim level do you have? Might be similar to the 4th gens where the higher trim levels get more options than the bottom trims