Overkill?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

myfavtruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7Hemi
Hello Fellas,
New to the site let me start my telling U I have an 07 Ram 1500 4X2, 5.7L HEMI with 93+K miles. I love this truck it's the most fun and responsive truck I've had in years. I've got some exhaust work done with electric cut outs and a modified air box with a K&N drop-in for air.

I am planning all the DIY fluid changes this month: I have done the rear gear oil this week and plan on doing the tranny next week (I'll run a search on this later). I also plan on doing the coolant (did a search on this and plan on using the Zerex G 05 fluid) as advised.

NOW to my "overkill" Title: Is it worth worrying about the power steering and brake fluid "change out" or is this just "overkill"? Has anybody done these by themselves without having issues after the fact? I'd like to do them, just curious has to how many fellas actually do these 2 fluids in particular?

Any and all feedback is appreciated and welcome THANKS!

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
This is My Opinion, feel free to Bump in DIY Guys! to share your experiences.

If its 6 years Old on the Brake Fluid Maybe But the best time to do it is when the brakes need changing. In extreme Winters they recommend a flush up here every 2 years which may be overkill. You could bleed all 4 sides until she runs clean just make sure the fluid doesn't get too low in the tank and be careful of the bleed screws as they break easy and then its a nightmare or new Caliper so soak them real good with PB first and go easy when trying to loosen for the first Time (a good helper an Tygone tubing/bucket/one man bleed kit recommended).

As for Power steering, you can do a partial change by sucking out what is in the resevoir using a Turkey Baster @ 99 cents then refilling using ATF+4, drive a week and if its still dirty do it again. To me this is the easiest way to gently up the quality of fluid in your PS system.

I beleive Mopar has a new Power Steering Fluid but never checked into it. seen it sitting at the dealer and maybe its for the new Vehicles, dunno.

Edit: BTW Welcome, Post Pics, This is the Place! Danny

Last edited:

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Brake fluid absolutely yes. I know I'm not a DIY'er and I do this professionally, but I'm trying to save you money down the road.

Power steering, meh. It's a toss up really. ATF4 will break down over time just like it does in a trans, but it doesnt have as many responsibilities in a PS system. You can change it to feel good about it but honestly dodge pumps will fail regardless of what you put in there and how often you change it. But thats really your call.

As for the brake fluid, it is recommended to change it frequently, and for good reason. DOT3/4 brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs water from the air. So over time it will absorb up to 35% of its weight in water, which reduces its boiling point tremendously. Also, over time the brake lines will corrode due to the water content, this is what causes the brown/dark brake fluid. That produces sediment that settles in the low points of the system, which is the calipers. I rarely ever replace calipers on a customer's car that has had regular brake fluid flushes.

Now you can do a similar method to what Danny described, and suck it out and partially replace it with a baster, but that is not going to do much. The sediment collects in calipers, and the only way to get it as well as all the fluid out is to get the system flushed. That forces the fluid out through the bleeders while refilling with fresh fluid. Most chain shops have the machine to do it, and the procedure runs less than $100, and can be done every 2 years or 30k miles.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great advice for the OP BigSloth on paying the 100 bucks sounds like the best Route, and thanks for explaining the Hygroscopicity part when it comes to Brake Fluid as thats what Keeping your Powder Dry is all about, In my Business anyway. You picked up on my DIYer dig above which as you see brought in some Pro advice already, LOL...Danny

OP
OP
M

myfavtruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7Hemi
Thanks for all the help here Fellas! I will then be at least changing the PS fluid myself and will DEF look into some shops around the house for a BF "power" flush, I guess while I am there I can also inquire about a coolant flush?

I look forward to doing the tranny this coming week, while I am down may as well change the belt? Could'nt hurt! Thanks again

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Storytime: the shop I often hangout in is replacing a customer's brake lines. Yes the actual brake lines have rusted out internally and are seeping fluid at a couple of bends. It's a late model GMC truck which l don't know the year. Now here's were it gets strange, they replaced the same lines about three years ago for the same thing. The truck looks good and was told well maintained. Weird stuff with those GM trucks.....

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If ya Listen Closely Greg you can hear it Rust and it doesn't have to be on a quiet night in Ford Country either (joke). Good story though as I always thought the corrosion was from the outside in.