Paddle Shifters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've seen a couple of threads here about adding paddle shifters but they're just a re-wire of the EMS Gear +/- buttons on the steering wheel. I'm interested in true paddle shifters that'll shift the transmission when i press the paddle, not just change the top available gear. Anyone done this or seen someone else do it or knows what it might take to do something like this?

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
From what o remember I don't think there is a way to make it function like that

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've seen a couple of threads here about adding paddle shifters but they're just a re-wire of the EMS Gear +/- buttons on the steering wheel. I'm interested in true paddle shifters that'll shift the transmission when i press the paddle, not just change the top available gear. Anyone done this or seen someone else do it or knows what it might take to do something like this?
@Wild one

Rick, can you comment on this? (Robert, Rick has paddles on his 2014 Ram)

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Brandon-W was looking into making them tiptronic,i'm not sure if he's pursued it much yet though. I have paddles in both the truck and the wifes 2019 Challenger.Honestly the ones in the truck are a better set-up then the tiptronic versions in the wifes 1320 Challenger. You can't shift the tiptronic versions anymore in the car then you can in the truck.If the cars not at the right speed it won't let you upshift,and it's a royal pain in the ass leaving a light if the cars shifter happens to get bumped over to manual mode.If i could change the paddles in the car to work more like the paddles in my truck easily,the car would be getting changed,lol. The paddles are virtually instant in both the truck and car as far as shift speed goes when you pull on them "if" you're at the right speed and rpm,if you're not at the right speed or rpm in either one,it's not gonna shift no matter how many times you pull on them ,if your foot is stuck through the floor. I pull the paddles in the truck at roughly 6400 rpm constantly,if your truck is short shifting on you,that's in the tune,you need your tuner to up your shift parameters,i can lock the truck into the gear showing on the evic and it won't upshift past that gear,but it will go into limp mode,lol. As long as the truck is over 5600 rpm,it shifts pretty well instantly using the paddles.5600 rpm is the factories preset shift rpm under that if you have it floored it's not upshifting by itself or by the paddles,same as the car it won't upshift either if you're under the preset factory shift rpm

Last edited:

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Brandon-W was looking into making them tiptronic,i'm not sure if he's pursued it much yet though. I have paddles in both the truck and the wifes 2019 Challenger.Honestly the ones in the truck are a better set-up then the tiptronic versions in the wifes 1320 Challenger. You can't shift the tiptronic versions anymore in the car then you can in the truck.If the cars not at the right speed it won't let you upshift,and it's a royal pain in the ass leaving a light if the cars shifter happens to get bumped over to manual mode.If i could change the paddles in the car to work more like the paddles in my truck easily,the car would be getting changed,lol. The paddles are virtually instant in both the truck and car as far as shift speed goes when you pull on them "if" you're at the right speed and rpm,if you're not at the right speed or rpm in either one,it's not gonna shift no matter how many times you pull on them ,if your foot is stuck through the floor. I pull the paddles in the truck at roughly 6400 rpm constantly,if your truck is short shifting on you,that's in the tune,you need your tuner to up your shift parameters,i can lock the truck into the gear showing on the evic and it won't upshift past that gear,but it will go into limp mode,lol. As long as the truck is over 5600 rpm,it shifts pretty well instantly using the paddles.5600 rpm is the factories preset shift rpm under that if you have it floored it's not upshifting by itself or by the paddles,same as the car it won't upshift either if you're under the preset factory shift rpm

soooo, howd you do it?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
Track Brandon-W down,he's thinking of building them...

Somebody needs to tell Brandon-W that he would probably have a big market for some plug and play paddle shifter kits. I'd buy one. :)

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Somebody needs to tell Brandon-W that he would probably have a big market for some plug and play paddle shifter kits. I'd buy one. :)
They aren't cheap to make. Brandon figured out how to make them also and made a set for himself,and i think he was figuring on a $1,000.00 bucks or more if he was to build and sell them. Back when Dylan was still building them,he was selling them for $750.00 Canuck and couldn't sell any south of the border,but he had everybody and their dog wanting him to tell them how to do it. It pissed him off to the point he said to hell with it,which i didn't blame him .All i can say is i'm glad i got in on the deal when Dylan was building them,he even installed them in my truck,alibit i had to drive roughly 7 hours to his place for install,but i hadn't been up to his part of the country in 30 years,so i didn't mind the drive,lol

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I've got parts on the way to start building these, finally have enough time!

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.