Paint Protection Options for Negative Offset Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimmyP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI V8
Hey everyone, new to the forum but I've been lurking for a couple months since buying my 2014 Sport. I've found a few threads that relate to this but nothing that goes into detail on all of the options at once.

Looking through Custom Offset's gallery, it seems like 35-37x12.5-13.5 tires on 20x10 (-24mm) or 20x12 (-44mm) rims are common setups on a 6" suspension lift. I like the way those setups look but they all come with the obvious problem of throwing rocks/debris up the side of the truck. Below are some of the options I've read about that can protect against this:

- Fender flares are a common option to cut down on this, but they can damage paint and/or trap water and cause rust. A -44mm offset will still stick out past even the widest flares as well.

- Mud flaps seem like they might help a bit, but even extra wide flaps don't seem to be wide enough for a wide offset.

- Running boards (like the Go Rhino Dominator series) seem like they help keep debris off the rocker panels, but again probably won't help against those larger offsets.

- Paint protection film such as Xpel may be the best line of defense here. While it's not bullet proof, it should provide a relatively comfortable amount of protection against rocks and debris. It is quite expensive though at $545 for the crew cab rocker panel kit.

Does anyone have these or a combination of them? Any suggestions on what is the most effective? I ride dirt roads pretty frequently so I want to make sure I take some steps to protect my paint.

Noneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie. 35's 2 inch level. Raceme. Fully deleted 5 inch FlowPro Exh
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You could put the correct offset and avoid all this hassle. Just a thought. Every time I see a truck with wheels half out from the body all I can think of is the paint damage and wonder why people do it. Just my opinion (not that you asked). I'd do 3m film on the lower half on addition to fender flares if I absolutely decided to run a setup like that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Noneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie. 35's 2 inch level. Raceme. Fully deleted 5 inch FlowPro Exh
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There are all kinds of shops now that do vinyl wraps. They can do custom vinyl or paint protectant film. I have a laramie with the silver trim I was considering wrapping in white and was quoted approximately $300 by a local guy to do that in white vinyl. Many window tint shops do it as well if I have a hard time finding someone local.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk