Painting tow mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mbarclay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anyone have the chrome part of the tow mirrors painted? Want mine painted silver to match.
What's the process to paint the mirrors for anyone that did theirs?

Trying to kill the chrome on my Laramie. Buying new bumpers and grill to have painted also.

C488A292-2074-4F6A-A49A-844006230474_zpsbvltbhr8.jpg

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Same process as painting any other panel.

There will be those that say "cant paint over chrome" and the "you can paint on chrome, no issues" ..

Some people aren't cut out for spraying paper, let alone a vehicle. Theyre usually the experts. But in all reality, most body shops wont spray on chrome w/o removing it first. More of a liability issue rather than "it wont work".

OP
OP
Mbarclay

Mbarclay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can see that on the metal chrome parts like the bumpers that's why I'm just getting new ones instead of having the chrome stripped. The mirrors are that plastic chrome though I was thinking scuffing them up prime and paint would work on those...... if not I'm sure I can find someone to trade the all black tow mirrors for my chrome

matt.davidson09

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 RAM 2500 Laramie Mega Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Same process as painting any other panel.

There will be those that say "cant paint over chrome" and the "you can paint on chrome, no issues" ..

Some people aren't cut out for spraying paper, let alone a vehicle. Theyre usually the experts. But in all reality, most body shops wont spray on chrome w/o removing it first. More of a liability issue rather than "it wont work".

Problem is that it's not true (metal?) chrome; it's a chrome-colored over layer on top of a plastic-like shell. Called several body shops and no one will spray them because of the material, not so much the chrome. Several places said they wrap the ram tow mirrors instead of spraying them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matt.davidson09

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 RAM 2500 Laramie Mega Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Problem is that it's not true (metal?) chrome; it's a chrome-colored outer layer on top of a plastic-like shell. Called several body shops and no one will spray them because of the material, not so much the chrome. Several places said they wrap the ram tow mirrors instead of spraying them.