parts availability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Did there used to be a longer period of time where replacement parts had to be available? Or was that ever a thing?
My 05 isn't even 20 years old. The part in question is shared by newer 3rd gen rams but already discontinued. If they are available, the people that have them don't seem to be advertising.
I find it hard to believe the only place to find what I need is ebay, cragslist or the junk yard.

Lovemy06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome subject because run into the same issue with my 06. There are plenty of shared parts amongst generations. Or maybe it’s because people like us rebuild and replace parts as they deteriorate to keep looking in tip top shape, so we’re buying up the parts!

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I thought parts were mandated to be produced for 10 years after model is discontinued.

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I thought there was some time requirement also but I didn't know what it was, and I thought during the last financial collapse when all of the automakers were forced to consolidate, that time period may have changed. It just seems like I used to be able to get parts for longer.

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am running into the same thing with my lower door seals (water guards) on my 04. I have been refunded twice because they could not get them.

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
It's really surprising. I was able to get practically every part for an 84 1/2 Fiero I redid. I was even able to get new dew wipes for the windows, although I had to get them from a specialty place. I don't know if it's due to Covid or what. Just seems strange. Especially the part I'm talking about, the driver's side steering knuckle which are a known concern. Seems like there would be new good ones available just in case. You can still get the passenger side.