Payload

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ErnieD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Forgive me, hopefully it's not posted here.

What's the max weight I can put in bed of a 2019 power wagon ?

I can't find a solid answer. That or I dont like the anawer.

Thanks.
Don’t rely on anyone for this. I work in trucking. Do this yourself. Take your vehicle and only have in it what you would normally carry day in and out. Go to a weight station with a full tank of fuel and get the actual curb weight of your truck. Then subtract this number from the sticker GVWR on your truck and you have your payload. Keep in mind that if you add passengers that weight technically counts against your vehicle payload.

3TV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I think it would help if Ram "de-badged" the Power Wagon, as far as 1500 vs 2500 vs 3500 goes. Don't even put a label there, just leave it blank, or put another "Power Wagon" there, or even the words "Off Road". People might ask "What is that, a 2500 or 3500?" when truck shopping, and then the salesman could say "neither, its a Power Wagon", and explain what they are buying. That would help prevent people like the OP from buying the wrong truck. If you need to carry 2500 lbs in the bed, a Power Wagon is the wrong truck. If you need to have a better off road capable truck than the competition, the Power Wagon is the right truck. On an off road truck you want the 1 ton drive train, that way your truck isn't broken at the end of a grueling off road day, like a 1/2 ton truck all too commonly is. And on an off road truck you don't want a stiff, non-compliant suspension that won't flex, and rides like a brick all day long either. Add in the winch, the lower gearing, and the ability to run 37s with no lift at all, and the Power Wagon is perfect for what I want in a truck. It is the best suited truck for my needs that I've ever owned. Just my $.02

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I think it would help if Ram "de-badged" the Power Wagon, as far as 1500 vs 2500 vs 3500 goes. Don't even put a label there, just leave it blank, or put another "Power Wagon" there, or even the words "Off Road". People might ask "What is that, a 2500 or 3500?" when truck shopping, and then the salesman could say "neither, its a Power Wagon", and explain what they are buying. That would help prevent people like the OP from buying the wrong truck. If you need to carry 2500 lbs in the bed, a Power Wagon is the wrong truck. If you need to have a better off road capable truck than the competition, the Power Wagon is the right truck. On an off road truck you want the 1 ton drive train, that way your truck isn't broken at the end of a grueling off road day, like a 1/2 ton truck all too commonly is. And on an off road truck you don't want a stiff, non-compliant suspension that won't flex, and rides like a brick all day long either. Add in the winch, the lower gearing, and the ability to run 37s with no lift at all, and the Power Wagon is perfect for what I want in a truck. It is the best suited truck for my needs that I've ever owned. Just my $.02
I 2nd that. Adds up to .04 cents now

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I was initially going to look at the Power Wagons because they were 2500's but after I saw the towing capacities and payloads that was the end of that. My 1500 had almost as much payload and towing capacity of the Power Wagon

Shawn Muir

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3500 6.7 Diesel
I want to pull a camper that is 10k and the bags seem like the best option for me. Since I’m installing onboard air anyway. The write up by Olyelr, is perfect.
If you don’t off road, then change the rear springs and you will back to hauling heavy loads again.
I might be wrong but I was told installing Airlift bags will not increase your payload of your truck just the sag and comfort of towing.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I might be wrong but I was told installing Airlift bags will not increase your payload of your truck just the sag and comfort of towing.
That is correct. It won't change the legal payload but might make the ride a little more comfortable and stable

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine

That is correct. It won't change the legal payload but might make the ride a little more comfortable and stable

The only way to boost the payload rating is to take weight off the truck: removing the rear seat or bumper, using lighter wheels and/or tires that meet gross axle weight rating requirements, and so on. Although payload determination may vary by manufacturer, the GVWR and GAWR (gross axle weight rating) on the certification label are standardized and absolute. Only the manufacturer — or an upfitter that started with an incomplete vehicle — can set the GVWR.
I built a trailer here in Texas and had to have it inspected before I could register it and the sheriff department tag it and gave me the limit based off the axles, springs, frame, Etc.
I would think I could make Modifications to my truck and take it to them to get a addendum. But I’m not certain of this. But to answer your question technically my payload would increase just not on my door tag. So therefore if I were to get into a wreck and be over the limit (in Texas) I would be liable. Even through everything else is rated higher minus the springs.

Because your asking and I work close to the sheriffs office, I will go ask after I install the air bags and report back.

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Thanks, guys. I'm coming from a F250 which can do quite a bit more when it comes to 'workload.' Being able to put 3500lbs in the back of the F250 was really nice, but in the end I didnt do it more than 4-5 times in the 2 years I had the f250. If that workload is needed, I can put that stuff on a trailer. I was super bummed when I double-checked the payload specs and found it was much less than other 2500s. Of course, that was after I bought it...

In the end this truck is going to be awesome. It met my absolute 3 requirements for a truck: 4x4, crew cab, 6.5' bed. The added payload capacity wouldve been nice, but I'm totally good with the capabilities that this truck comes with. Its also a sweet ride.

I look forward to spending time on this forum and having fun with this truck. Thanks for the links & the info that you guys put in this thread!!

I have a dump trailer that I use for payloads more than 1500ls. Works great. I also have added bags but only use them when towing the car hauler. With the right hitch, the Power Wagon tows great.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The only way to boost the payload rating is to take weight off the truck: removing the rear seat or bumper, using lighter wheels and/or tires that meet gross axle weight rating requirements, and so on. Although payload determination may vary by manufacturer, the GVWR and GAWR (gross axle weight rating) on the certification label are standardized and absolute. Only the manufacturer — or an upfitter that started with an incomplete vehicle — can set the GVWR.
I built a trailer here in Texas and had to have it inspected before I could register it and the sheriff department tag it and gave me the limit based off the axles, springs, frame, Etc.
I would think I could make Modifications to my truck and take it to them to get a addendum. But I’m not certain of this. But to answer your question technically my payload would increase just not on my door tag. So therefore if I were to get into a wreck and be over the limit (in Texas) I would be liable. Even through everything else is rated higher minus the springs.

Because your asking and I work close to the sheriffs office, I will go ask after I install the air bags and report back.
Can't say for sure but think you would have trouble finding somebody to override the manufacturers limits. Even if they are correct they could be dragged into a costly lawsuit even if they win.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I’m not a payload guru and most PW have not pulled heavy loads with their rig. So we may not hear from the HD thread to chime in on the legality. I know some of them use their trucks to Hot Shot.

I don’t disagree with you. It might be impossible to change it now. I do think that we answered the OP questions.

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
What are you guys talking about...all that is a myth remember when the tundra pulled the space shuttle....if it hooks to the hitch give it a go!

wakemeup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Pulling a load(towing) and carrying a load (payload) affect the truck completely differently. Apple to oranges. You really should be looking at your tongue weight if your talking about towing which to me translates to payload weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Pulling a load(towing) and carrying a load (payload) affect the truck completely differently. Apple to oranges. You really should be looking at your tongue weight if your talking about towing which to me translates to payload weight.

True I got off topic slightly. But you need to know payload when towing.

3TV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I agree wakemeup. My 2018 Power Wagon tows very well, but it doesn't carry a payload very well at all. Over 1/3 of the miles on my truck are towing miles, with my 22' PJ Buggy Hauler trailer hooked behind my truck. I typically tow the 3800 lb trailer with two UTVs on it, that weight another 3800 lbs. I think it tows that load as good as any gas engine truck I've ever owned, and better than some of them have done. I personally think it tows better than a prior Ram I owned that had a V-10 under the hood. The 6.4 is a great engine in my opinion. And the gearing on a Power Wagon works well for towing as well, even with the 37" tires I'm running. But, ... when it comes to carrying a payload, I'm not too impressed. A 2-up Can Am ATV that has a ready to ride weight of 1000 lbs, plus two people in the cab, is more than I like to carry. The truck will frequently get into a recurrent side to side swaying motion while on the freeway, that it will tend to just stay in, until you slow down. Sometimes if you really hold the steering wheel perfectly still you can get it out of it, or other times just letting go of the steering wheel altogether will get it to stop, because I think some of it is your arms swinging on the steering wheel that keeps it going. In any case, it isn't pleasant, with just 1000 lbs in the bed.

wakemeup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I agree wakemeup. My 2018 Power Wagon tows very well, but it doesn't carry a payload very well at all. Over 1/3 of the miles on my truck are towing miles, with my 22' PJ Buggy Hauler trailer hooked behind my truck. I typically tow the 3800 lb trailer with two UTVs on it, that weight another 3800 lbs. I think it tows that load as good as any gas engine truck I've ever owned, and better than some of them have done. I personally think it tows better than a prior Ram I owned that had a V-10 under the hood. The 6.4 is a great engine in my opinion. And the gearing on a Power Wagon works well for towing as well, even with the 37" tires I'm running. But, ... when it comes to carrying a payload, I'm not too impressed. A 2-up Can Am ATV that has a ready to ride weight of 1000 lbs, plus two people in the cab, is more than I like to carry. The truck will frequently get into a recurrent side to side swaying motion while on the freeway, that it will tend to just stay in, until you slow down. Sometimes if you really hold the steering wheel perfectly still you can get it out of it, or other times just letting go of the steering wheel altogether will get it to stop, because I think some of it is your arms swinging on the steering wheel that keeps it going. In any case, it isn't pleasant, with just 1000 lbs in the bed.

Your the third person that has brought up that side to side swaying motion. Described the way you just described it. The other two are in threads somewhere. Not sure if they had air bags. Do you have air bags?

3TV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Your the third person that has brought up that side to side swaying motion. Described the way you just described it. The other two are in threads somewhere. Not sure if they had air bags. Do you have air bags?

No air bags.