PCM dies/engine won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave2003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I've got a 2003 2500, 5.9L cummins, late 2003 model year. I had the truck stored for the winter. I jump started it and it ran fine until I disconnected the jumper cables. The engine died. It would turn over, but it seemed like the PCM had failed. I had it towed to a dealer, they've had it for weeks. They couldn't get a pcm from dodge, so I ordered one for them (aftermarket). When it arrived, they installed it and it died after a minute of running. PCM has lost communication. Any ideas on the cause or solution. The dealer seems stymied. I'm not giving up on this truck. I'm assuming at this point, that I fried something besides the PCM. Aside from a voltage or grounding problem, I can't imagine what would be wrong.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dave2003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I'll have to visit the dealer on monday and have a talk with them and see what info they can provide. What they told me was that the PCM/ECM was not communicating. Unfortunately, the dealership changed ownership about a year ago and most of their experienced folks left. I wish I had known that before I had the truck towed to them. I can only assume, at this point, that when I jump started the truck after storage, I also damaged something essential. Maybe rodents got into something while stored. I didn't see anything, but I don't know. All I know is that I bought the truck new in 2003, it has only seen two Wisconsin winters, has low mileage and until this May, looked and ran like new. I'm almost to the point of having it towed to another service provider. I usually do my own work, as long it's within my ability. I thought I was out of my league on this one, hence having it towed.

Last edited:

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
This is probably a dumb question because I would assume it has been checked, but are the batteries good?

OP
OP
D

Dave2003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I've got to say yes. After I jumped it, I put my charger on over night. The engine would crank like crazy, but no start. Manifold heat relays didn't click in, but I tested them separately.

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
I don't know about the 5.9 but the 6.7 has to have real good batteries and solid grounds, and there seem to be plenty of grounding points.