PCV Valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you are burning oil. Check your PCV Valve. Even if you take yours out and you hear it rattle it still could be bad.

So I had been burning about 1 quart every 2500 miles. So my previous oil change I had to refill with two total quarts of oil. I had checked my PCV valve and figured it was good. I did the old rattle test and it seemed good.

I decided to swap it out anyway after going through 2 quarts this last oil change. Well since then which it has been nearly 2000 miles the level is exactly the same. So if you say have bought a used truck and it has always burned oil, of if you recently started burning oil. Swap out that PCV valve. Do not just go off of hearing the rattle so assuming it is not that. Do yourself a favor at least swap it out as it is cheap and easy to do and could very well be that simple of a fix.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
If you are burning oil. Check your PCV Valve. Even if you take yours out and you hear it rattle it still could be bad.

So I had been burning about 1 quart every 2500 miles. So my previous oil change I had to refill with two total quarts of oil. I had checked my PCV valve and figured it was good. I did the old rattle test and it seemed good.

I decided to swap it out anyway after going through 2 quarts this last oil change. Well since then which it has been nearly 2000 miles the level is exactly the same. So if you say have bought a used truck and it has always burned oil, of if you recently started burning oil. Swap out that PCV valve. Do not just go off of hearing the rattle so assuming it is not that. Do yourself a favor at least swap it out as it is cheap and easy to do and could very well be that simple of a fix.

Interesting ... on occasion I can smell burnt oil at start up AND sometimes a little smoke outta the tail pipes. The oil level is (always)at the full mark.

I've changed the PVC(@~1000k ago)on my recent oil change. The old one rattled just the same as the new one ... there still is the occasional smell of burnt oil/puff of smoke outta the tail pipes.

I may just get an Oil Catch Can and see if that resolves that issue, if it really is one.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

The old GM trick, shake the PCV and listen for the rattle, LOL.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting ... on occasion I can smell burnt oil at start up AND sometimes a little smoke outta the tail pipes. The oil level is (always)at the full mark.

I've changed the PVC(@~1000k ago)on my recent oil change. The old one rattled just the same as the new one ... there still is the occasional smell of burnt oil/puff of smoke outta the tail pipes.

I may just get an Oil Catch Can and see if that resolves that issue, if it really is one.
Make sure the valve hole is facing the firewall when tightened all the way.

OP
OP
B

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The old GM trick, shake the PCV and listen for the rattle, LOL.
Yup where I got that from plus hearing others on here saying same thing for the Ram. Was a big problem on the GM's lol. For my 2001 the fix was doing away with the rattle type and going fixed orifice.

I just figured hearing it rattle it should be ok. I purchased one was going to replace regardless. Glad I did.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Make sure the valve hole is facing the firewall when tightened all the way.

I'll take a look at that. I haven't thought of it making a difference ... actually, just have pulled the PVC out and replaced it in the past.

Thanks for the info ... I hope that it's in "backwards" and repositioning it, all will be good.

OP
OP
B

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll take a look at that. I haven't thought of it making a difference ... actually, just have pulled the PVC out and replaced it in the past.

Thanks for the info ... I hope that it's in "backwards" and repositioning it, all will be good.
Not 100% certain could be an issue but know it can be installed both ways. TRQ video showed it installed that way(had to zoom in). So makes one wonder from a physics standpoint if it could cause an issue being installed other way.

Wonder if someone has definitive proof that it does need to be installed with hole facing firewall or it can cause issue??

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Not 100% certain could be an issue but know it can be installed both ways. TRQ video showed it installed that way(had to zoom in). So makes one wonder from a physics standpoint if it could cause an issue being installed other way.

Wonder if someone has definitive proof that it does need to be installed with hole facing firewall or it can cause issue??

Well, I'm going to give it a try and see if it matters which way it's installed. It just might be what is needed and isn't a big thing to reposition it

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter

Ok, I turned the PVC where the hole in it at the top is facing towards the front of the engine ... I'll see if it makes a difference and report back in a few days.

Last edited:

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Ok, it's now two weeks later since repositioning the PVC and all is good. I wouldn't of thought that that how the PVC is installed mattered ... Idk. I'm still going to install an oil catch can just the same.

OP
OP
B

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, it's now two weeks later since repositioning the PVC and all is good. I wouldn't of thought that that how the PVC is installed mattered ... Idk. I'm still going to install an oil catch can just the same.
thanks for the update. And same for me have not had to add a drop more of oil. Crazy I too wouldn't of thought that. Really makes me wonder the position of the one I replaced was in(didnt look before removing). Good to hear it fixed your issue. Isnt it much better not smelling that burned oil smell? lol.

Last edited:

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, I turned the PVC where the hole in it at the top is facing towards the front of the engine ... I'll see if it makes a difference and report back in a few days.

I need to go check the positioning of mine. you've really got me thinking.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So you have the hole in the PCV pointed towards the hose or away from the hose now? I think you and OP are opposite and both not having any issues.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
So you have the hole in the PCV pointed towards the hose or away from the hose now? I think you and OP are opposite and both not having any issues.

Yes, the PVC is pointed towards the hose/front of the engine and I did take note the direction the OP stated on his. I am still going to add an oil catch can anyhow, so it may not matter? At the moment, all is good.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
This is my first time to change out the PVC as I've traded so often I never needed to.

I should have taken note when replacing the original PVC the direction/way it was originally placed ... I didn't think that that it would matter ... maybe it still doesn't?

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is my first time to change out the PVC as I've traded so often I never needed to.

I should have taken note when replacing the original PVC the direction/way it was originally placed ... I didn't think that that it would matter ... maybe it still doesn't?
I'm quite sure it doesn't. If it mattered, it would have explicit arrows, a one way install, something like that. Manufacturers don't go out of their way to make something you can install backwards that will cause a problem. Like the Pentastar for instance only goes in one way.

That's my thinking at least. I have mine pointed towards the hose as well, and my catch can is working fine.

OP
OP
B

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm quite sure it doesn't. If it mattered, it would have explicit arrows, a one way install, something like that. Manufacturers don't go out of their way to make something you can install backwards that will cause a problem. Like the Pentastar for instance only goes in one way.

That's my thinking at least. I have mine pointed towards the hose as well, and my catch can is working fine.
I'm actually sure you are right. If you look closely at these two videos done by the same company at that(TRQ) you will see one where the hole is pointed toward the firewall and the other pointed towards the hose after install. At this point I am sure that the previous PVC Valve was just bad and has nothing to do with position.

Can see why they re-did the original video because they turned a 5 minute job into a much longer one. Absolutely no reason to need to remove entire airbox lol. Just remove intake hose to get out of way of cover.