pedal commander question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pld

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
last week my truck threw a code with the pc installed. I went to pass a car on the expressway and the truck went in limp mode. When I got to work the pc connection on the pedal was good and nothing was loose, I disconnected the pc and after about 5 cycles of driving the check engine light went away. My question is if I reinstall the pc will it throw another code? Is it safe to reinstall because the instant throttle response was fun while it was on. Thanks.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its possible. What setting did you have it on? I've heard of some of the later models getting codes with the PC, but usually it's in Eco mode.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
as Warrsuul said...Eco mode causes the most issues.

Also...did you follow the install instructions correctly? You have to have the key fob well away from the vehicle for an extended period of time then install it.

Just a thought. Let us know on the mode it was on.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I had the same thing a week ago. Driving with cruise control on, no reason I could see, tripped the check engine light, told me to service the throttle controller and went into limp in mode. Took the off ramp was, doing some weird stuff. Shut the truck down and restarted it and it wasn't in limp in mode anymore but the check engine light stayed on. Ran but it just wasn't right. Wasn't in limp in mode but low on power. Pulled out the Pedal Commander thinking maybe it was that. Shut it down later for several hours and called the dealer. Seemed to run fine with no Pedal Commander and the check engine light went out by the time I got there and the dealer said it was fine. Got it home, put it back in, threw the check engine light again, pulled it out again and the light went out after a couple starts. So that tells me it WAS the Pedal Commander.

Emailed Nick at Got Exhaust and he told me some things to do and told me to clean the mass air flow etc etc. Been scared to plug it in and use it again. The reason it scares me is that I travel a lot for work and don't like the idea of being stranded in the middle of nowhere. It just worries me... might try it again this weekend. Not really sure what I should do but I did everything Nick suggested and I couldn't see any signs of dirt of buildup. I mean the trucks just got 35k miles and about 30k of those are highway so it's not like it runs a rough life.

SIDE NOTE... I never use ECO mode. I have a V6 so no Pedal Commander is pretty much ECO Mode. It always ran in City +2 and I never changed it.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Do you have the Bluetooth or the non-Bluetooth model? If you have the Bluetooth model, then go into the pedal commander app and update the module. Some of the early Bluetooth units needed an update which is taken care of in the one I just mentioned.

cuminslvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
Oh great I just received mine from Nick and was gonna have it installed. This hasnt been the trend, most people have no issues at least as far as I have read here.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So far, so good, I think. I reinstalled it this afternoon and tried to update it but the Android app kept sticking... But I always had issues with the app. I uninstalled the app, restarted my phone, reinstalled and went through the pairing process again and the app connected easily. There was an update and I installed it. It did throw another throttle warning on startup but it went away and the check engine light stayed up but went off after a couple of restarts. Drove it for about 2 hours and everything seems good again.

I actually wonder if the Bluetooth Android app had something to do with it. After I uninstalled and reinstalled I was able to go into settings and I wasn't able to before. I actually could get to brightness settings and can see the lights now! It also hasn't stuck or crashed and even better... it's not draining my battery. Before the app would stay on and kill my Galaxy S8 battery in 2-3 hours unless I went into settings - apps - force stop. It's not doing that now. The day I had all the trouble with it I can't remember if I had the app running or not.

Maybe "uninstall and reinstall the app" should be added to trouble shooting if it's not already there and I missed it. We'll see how it goes from here.

cuminslvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
I have the iphone app, hope that doesnt have those issues. I hope your problems are fixed.:gr_grin:

OP
OP
pld

pld

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have the original PC no Bluetooth I bought it from Moes Performance last October of 2017 .Never ran it in eco mode made no sense to me always kept it in Sport plus2 and the connection was fine and tight and truck has 14000 kms on it so I think its the module it sucks cause it cost me 400.00 Canadian hopefully its not useless

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the original as well, and have run it in Eco -4 for a couple tanks to see what it would do. Now it's in just Eco mode. Seems to work well for me. Never a code on my '09.

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
Thanks for the info guys. I have been going back and forth on the pc. Not looking good.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
17 1500. Had the old non bluetooth pc for 10 months and never a issue(knocks on wood). I have changed settings on the fly ALOT and always does what its supposed to. Now with pulsar i pretty much leave it at city +4 or sport -3 so it's not too jumpy off the line

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
17 1500. Had the old non bluetooth pc for 10 months and never a issue(knocks on wood). I have changed settings on the fly ALOT and always does what its supposed to. Now with pulsar i pretty much leave it at city +4 or sport -3 so it's not too jumpy off the line

Any difference with the pulsar?

Sled Freak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had mine for almost a yr and never had an issue. Bought a new version for a buddy and it works fine also.

I'd contact pedal commander themselves and see it they'll do anything for you

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any difference with the pulsar?

Not sure what your asking.
The pulsar is awsome for a canned tune. Yes there is a difference, the pulsar adds horsepower so because of that i turned pc down

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine threw a throttle position code about a week ago. Emailed PC and they responded quickly and asked it I had tried to adjust while in motion and if I had turned off the truck pretty quickly after making an adjustment. It was a yes to both, since then I have had no issues. Didn't wait for my code to go away, I reset with a diagnostic programmer.

fljab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been wanting both the PC and EP for my truck. But, gotta admit, I'm a bit skiddish about it due to the reports of issues like this. I'm on warranty and trying to be really careful not to mod anything that can't be hidden/pulled before maintenance, or otherwise doesn't impact any future claims with the dealer.

I know there are many that run the PC and have had zero problems. As the older version is no longer available, could the bluetooth have some "bugs", or is general consensus that it's still a good product and this is the exception?

This is going to be my "poor man's R/T" eventually!

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
PC is totally plug and play. Once removed there is no trace as far as I know. It’s one of the main reasons I got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
Not sure what your asking.
The pulsar is awsome for a canned tune. Yes there is a difference, the pulsar adds horsepower so because of that i turned pc down

Never mind. I thought the pulsar was the name of the generic pc. Lol

OP
OP
pld

pld

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
There is a huge difference in throttle response without the PC installed and I could not get used to it again so I reinstalled my PC yesterday and so far NO problems. Wow does this thing make a difference at Sport plus 2. Thanks for the responses and if it does throw another code Ill uninstall and reinstall after it clears.