Pentastar dies when hitting gas in Park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Hey everyone, first post here.

Anyways, i have a 2018 RAM BigHorn with the 3.6 in it.

When at idle in park, or neutral, if i tap the gas and let off of it very quick the engine will either drop RPMs down to around 300~400 and shake the entire truck until it goes back up to around 600 or completely stall flat out.

One thing i’ve noticed, when it stalls and you go to restart it, it’s hard to explain but it feels like a BANG when it cranks over and starts? Like the engine cranks, starter stops cranking the engine over, and then there’s a very feelable lurch like you’re getting rear ended.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, there’s no codes at all and the dealer is not a help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hey everyone, first post here.

Anyways, i have a 2018 RAM BigHorn with the 3.6 in it.

When at idle in park, or neutral, if i tap the gas and let off of it very quick the engine will either drop RPMs down to around 300~400 and shake the entire truck until it goes back up to around 600 or completely stall flat out.

One thing i’ve noticed, when it stalls and you go to restart it, it’s hard to explain but it feels like a BANG when it cranks over and starts? Like the engine cranks, starter stops cranking the engine over, and then there’s a very feelable lurch like you’re getting rear ended.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, there’s no codes at all and the dealer is not a help.

First, not in warranty?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How many miles on it? Is it completely 100% stock? What maintenance has been done to it?

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
How many miles on it? Is it completely 100% stock? What maintenance has been done to it?

100% stock, down to the floormats. Maintenance is oil changes every 3-4K and trans fluid changes every 30K.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It’s in warranty, but the dealer won’t help because they couldn’t make it do it.

@RamCares might be able to help. At the very least you need this documented.

Mine acted similarly when the fuel pump quit on me. It was replaced free under warranty. Next time if it stalls out and won't start this time you can sometimes get it going again without a tow by beating on the fuel tank under the truck with you palm.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
@RamCares might be able to help. At the very least you need this documented.

Mine acted similarly when the fuel pump quit on me. It was replaced free under warranty. Next time if it stalls out and won't start this time you can sometimes get it going again without a tow by beating on the fuel tank under the truck with you palm.

Thank you, i hope it’s not a fuel pump, but if it is than that’ll atleast give me somewhere to start.

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
TheEnder: Interesting report. May I ask why you are doing that manouver with your engine? Is there some other issue that makes you stab the accelerator and release it like that? Like is it running rough or makes you think it's going to stall?

The O2 sensors are responsible for the richness of the mixture. The Evap system could also present with lean conditions that might cause the symptoms as well. The preverbial loose or defective gas cap.