Perf. questions for a new guy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alnelson14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Hi guys. I have been looking around for awhile but just recently registered. I want to start off by thanking everyone that keeps this site running. By far the best Ram site ive found on the web.

So lets get started... I have a 2007 2500 Big Horn quad cab. It is 4wd and im looking for some more snot. Has 60k on the 5.7. I had my inTune but had to send it back to Diablo because it was goofy. Im looking into a Y pipe and this brings me to my first question. "Will 1500 headers fit on a 2500?" I noticed my driver side manifold turns out at the last minute to clear the front drive shaft. If im doing a Y pipe, i want the whole exhaust and cutouts.

Second, Efans. I seen a part number somewhere and if i could get that relayed again to me i sure would appreciate it! I believe they were bolt in with the shroud, i understand wiring is a different issue and ive got that covered. Also wondering if those were bolt on in the 2500 as well?

So now that i have my headers and i can tune it to match whatever, i want a cam. Looking like the comp 260 will suit my needs. I tow up to 6500lbs probably 20 times a year. Ive read somewhere the intake and heads dont need to be pulled to change the springs and cam? That doesnt jive with me. Any elaboration here is appreciated.

After that i believe i should be fairly happy with my truck. Before any questions get out about my ability to do this, ive been a heavy equipment mechanic for 5 years. Done probably 20 transmissions behind 12v cummins and owned one myself. It was a 94 that i paid 700$ for. By the time i took the pistons out i was running 86lbs of boost....

I appreciate any and all help and constructive input. Thanks again guys.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Welcome to rf. I could be wrong but I don't think headers from a 1500 will fit. Y pipe is a nice little upgrade but will only be fully beneficial with other mods like better flowing exhaust, cai, and headers like you are looking to do

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Hi guys. I have been looking around for awhile but just recently registered. I want to start off by thanking everyone that keeps this site running. By far the best Ram site ive found on the web.

Welcome to the site!!

So lets get started... I have a 2007 2500 Big Horn quad cab. It is 4wd and im looking for some more snot. Has 60k on the 5.7. I had my inTune but had to send it back to Diablo because it was goofy. Im looking into a Y pipe and this brings me to my first question. "Will 1500 headers fit on a 2500?" I noticed my driver side manifold turns out at the last minute to clear the front drive shaft. If im doing a Y pipe, i want the whole exhaust and cutouts.

I am not positive but I do not think they will fit right. The flanges and everything should be fine but I dont know how the piping will fit.

Second, Efans. I seen a part number somewhere and if i could get that relayed again to me i sure would appreciate it! I believe they were bolt in with the shroud, i understand wiring is a different issue and ive got that covered. Also wondering if those were bolt on in the 2500 as well?

Send a pm to some of our vendors down in the vendor section and they will get you hooked up with the right part numbers and right equipment for your truck.

So now that i have my headers and i can tune it to match whatever, i want a cam. Looking like the comp 260 will suit my needs. I tow up to 6500lbs probably 20 times a year. Ive read somewhere the intake and heads dont need to be pulled to change the springs and cam? That doesnt jive with me. Any elaboration here is appreciated.

That is correct you can swap the cam without pulling the heads or intake with the right equipment to keep the valves in place while you are working. It is the quicker rout. When we did mine though we pulled the heads. Made it much easier to get the springs in on a bench rather than on the truck. Also reinstalled the headers as well which was a breeze to get to some of those not to easy to reach places. Cam choice, you want a torquey cam. Comp 260, Sidewinder, Spartan, 210, 210x (if can find one) all good cams for a heavy truck.

After that i believe i should be fairly happy with my truck. Before any questions get out about my ability to do this, ive been a heavy equipment mechanic for 5 years. Done probably 20 transmissions behind 12v cummins and owned one myself. It was a 94 that i paid 700$ for. By the time i took the pistons out i was running 86lbs of boost....

I appreciate any and all help and constructive input. Thanks again guys.

Sounds like you should be good to go then. I would recommend a set of 4.56 gears front and rear will help towing and get that big truck moving a whole lot better.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
As for the e-fan ... check out JJ's deal on the group by

2009+ V6 eFan Group Buy - DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

As for anything else you would want a price on just send me a pm and I will be more than happy to assist you .

And also , thank you for the kind words on the site ... I run a tight ship and my moderators are top notch , that mixed in with AWESOME members = best forum on the net .

OP
OP
A

alnelson14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Thanks guys. So looking into the group buy, it looks like it ended march sometime and is for the 4th gens. I've searched high and low with no luck on 2500 headers. The exhaust will be a fab job anyway, but I don't want any unavoidable interference with clearance issues if I try the 1500 manifolds. Can't believe more people don't have headers on their 2500..... How can one do valve springs, without dropping the valve? Seems harder then Pulling the intake and exhaust. 456s, maybe. My truck has 410s? Already. Can't remember. The build sheet said 4?? So I'll hold off on that. I need to do my blazer first anyways. Any cheap tricks on this truck that can help me out?

Just to show off.... Recon heads, rears, and 3rd. 6k 55w high and lows. 3k 35 fogs. Blazer- tbi 350, R4, 241, 14bff, d60 and 411s. 4" front springs 1" zero rate 6" shackle flip out back
0483e746.jpg

zack

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5 packing the smarty
Engine
5.9 cummins ho
welcome to rf

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
yeah, the GB ended and was for 4th gens only. :D

Welcome aboard!!

OP
OP
A

alnelson14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
looking at ordering a 3rd strike intake and some cutouts here in the next few weeks. What Y pipe would be the easiest to install replacing the factory one? My truck has a 50 series muffler and duals already. Lets say i work my up to a cam, what would guys start with, and in which order would you do mods? Also, i can only get 90 octane up here in alaska, so which tune do you guys recommend with the inTune?

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Ryan covered it all except he Forgot to mention the Crazy Spartan...LOL>

For the valves I used the fitting from a compression tester and put an airline on it, removed one plug and hooked it up, it keeps the valve up good while you compress, remove both keepers with a pen magnet install newer springs and keepers. 2 springs at a time. Downside is a normal valve compresser tool will not work for the valves around the rear drivers unless you remove the brake booster and if you use 6.1 springs with buckets its tricky. You will need a Dragon Accord or superior valve tool to do it easiest or buy comp cams beehive springs (no buckests) and remove booster and use standard tool. There is also a chance that the caliper bleed screws are siezed so be careful or you will need new caliper or repair bleeder screw. Other must Tools are the Damper insert for the 3 Jaw Puller (Miller) and a threaded bearing insert/install tool for the damper. I've done 3 Cams on my truck and those Tools are a Must especially after you ruin a Damper or gouge the end of the Crankshaft. Long Post....and BTW. Welcome.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
OP
OP
A

alnelson14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Ryan covered it all except he Forgot to mention the Crazy Spartan...LOL>

For the valves I used the fitting from a compression tester and put an airline on it, removed one plug and hooked it up, it keeps the valve up good while you compress, remove both keepers with a pen magnet install newer springs and keepers. 2 springs at a time. Downside is a normal valve compresser tool will not work for the valves around the rear drivers unless you remove the brake booster and if you use 6.1 springs with buckets its tricky. You will need a Dragon Accord or superior valve tool to do it easiest or buy comp cams beehive springs (no buckests) and remove booster and use standard tool. There is also a chance that the caliper bleed screws are siezed so be careful or you will need new caliper or repair bleeder screw. Other must Tools are the Damper insert for the 3 Jaw Puller (Miller) and a threaded bearing insert/install tool for the damper. I've done 3 Cams on my truck and those Tools are a Must especially after you ruin a Damper or gouge the end of the Crankshaft. Long Post....and BTW. Welcome.

Long posts are good. They are filled with information. I am unfamiliar with the lifters i guess. Thats an excellent idea with the compressed air, never thought of that. Back to the lifters, how can one slide a new cam in, with the lifers in there? They dont fall out? They dont push against the lobes of the cam as trying to insert it? I dont quite understand that.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nope don't fall out...You remove the overheadholdown rails...haha maybe not the proper word so, pull the push rods, crank around the crank and cam a few times and the lifters push up and remain out of the way, and (when crank notch is at 2 o'clock and cam pin at noon) take apart/remove timing chain and the cam slides out taking care not to bang the inner bearings as you pull it out as there is a slight drop as each large part of the cam meets and slides thru the bearings.

I used the Rammin Cammin DIY (from HTC) I think it is called the first time I did mine and it was a great guide, Just Google it as the author put it there for all Hemi Truck Guys to use.

Danny

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

alnelson14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
For headers check these out

Search Results : 3rd Strike Performance!Your source for Late Model Muscle!, Mopar, GM and Ford Performance Parts and Aftermarket Accessories!!

As far as leading parts, you have a tuner already, you have 4.10s already which is good, get an intake and headers, then all the parts for the cam. Cam will run you upwards of around a grand doing it your self.

I was just on that site! Dont know how i missed those. Whats the belief that the 04-05 headers will fit on an 07? Thank you SO much!

Nope don't fall out...You remove the overheadholdown rails...haha maybe not the proper word so, pull the push rods, crank around the crank and cam a few times and the lifters push up and remain out of the way, and (when crank notch is at 2 o'clock and cam pin at noon) take apart/remove timing chain and the cam slides out taking care not to bang the inner bearings as you pull it out as there is a slight drop as each large part of the cam meets and slides thru the bearings.

I used the Rammin Cammin DIY (from HTC) I think it is called the first time I did mine and it was a great guide, Just Google it as the author put it there for all Hemi Truck Guys to use.

Danny

Rocker boxes? Just the residual oil holds the lifters up? Ill look that up and get my read on. No new timing chain and gears? The the lifters roller already? I'm used to small block chevys. And i was taught to always always replace these things. Thanks!

Last edited:

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They stay Up. No requirement for a new Timing chain but replace the Tensioner Plate assy with a 6.1 which has 4 blade metal spring inside the slider vs 2 and otherwise virtually the same. I have a thread question on the RockAuto vendors site that I beleive is yet to be answered, so anyways 15 bucks for one of those as they wear out and crack. mine was 6 years old when it almost fell apart.

Edit: Ha, ha....I played with Chevys too until I took a ride in a 351 Cleveland Torino! Still got my first Book Fix Your Chevrolet from 1978.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

alnelson14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Been awhile since I've visited. Havent dont much to the Dodge, been busy with a new rig after i broke the frame on the blazer.

Anyway, only things I've done was gotten a AFE CAI, and a mean green alt. Seriously looking this time, and i like the spartan as a cam choice. Although, the only headers i can find that say they will fit my truck are JBA cat4ward. Not to sure i like those. The plans are spartan, headers if i find any, wideband, full exhaust, and a custom tune.

I need to go back and read the cam parts checklist....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500