Picking Up my 1500 black sport edition Monday, need some advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schul788

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all, new to the forum. Will be picking up my 2016 1500 CC black sport edition with 5'7 bed on Monday and already have a bunch of little mods I'm planning.

1. Wanna do an HID kit, but don't wanna have to drill the projectors and I've read that the 2016 are very finicky when changing lights. Any suggestions on a good plug and play kit? Dynamic diodes has a kit but it doesn't say if it's plug and play or any drilling is required.

2. Looking to upgrade the fogs, license plate lights, interior lights and reverse lights to LED. Anyone have a reommendation of some that won't cause issues with the EVIC?

3. If I just plan on doing a level, should I go with 33s or 35s for the tires? (Don't want any rubbing)

4. I didn't order the park sense but now I'm kinda wishing I coughed up the extra cash and got it. Anyone know if it's possible to add after the fact?

1. I got the Morimoto kit from Retroshop. It comes with everything you need to avoid bulb out warning for the 2016. You will have to drill the dust cap though but will have to do this with every kit. The dust cap is the plastic cover on the back of the headlight. Very easy to do. I know Enlight also has a kit that will work well. Enlight also has a great Youtube video to show you how it's done. It's not as easy as just plugging in a new headlight though. You have to mount the resistors with self-tapping screws to metal since they get really hot and also mount the ballasts. Again, it's not hard but takes a little screwing around. All HID kits are like this though.

2. For fogs I used the morimoto XB bulbs. Work great! Just need to get the $30 standalone Canbus to hook up with it and my 2015 hasn't had any bulb out warnings.

OP
OP
C

Ceej371

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1. I got the Morimoto kit from Retroshop. It comes with everything you need to avoid bulb out warning for the 2016. You will have to drill the dust cap though but will have to do this with every kit. The dust cap is the plastic cover on the back of the headlight. Very easy to do. I know Enlight also has a kit that will work well. Enlight also has a great Youtube video to show you how it's done. It's not as easy as just plugging in a new headlight though. You have to mount the resistors with self-tapping screws to metal since they get really hot and also mount the ballasts. Again, it's not hard but takes a little screwing around. All HID kits are like this though.

2. For fogs I used the morimoto XB bulbs. Work great! Just need to get the $30 standalone Canbus to hook up with it and my 2015 hasn't had any bulb out warnings.

Awesome thank you for the insight! Kinda weary about drilling anything...I've only had her for 4 hours now haha. Didn't see him use any self tapers in the enlight video (I just skimmed through). Maybe I'll save the HIDS for last and get the rest of the lights done first.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Awesome thank you for the insight! Kinda weary about drilling anything...I've only had her for 4 hours now haha. Didn't see him use any self tapers in the enlight video (I just skimmed through). Maybe I'll save the HIDS for last and get the rest of the lights done first.

I didn't drill my dust covers. Just lay the bulb wires and feed wires to harness over the opening edge and the. Play the cover over them and bolt it down. The seal on the cover will indent and still seal it all.

I wouldn't drill my covers either. All you need is the 2 sets of wires to come out (bulb and feed to trigger relays) and your done. Jeremy from retroshop does the same thing.

schul788

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Like just mentioned drilling the covers could be optional I guess, I didn't mind though.

As far as enlight, you're right. He ships with the resistors mounted on an aluminum heat sink that you can zip tie to anything. Pretty neat actually. I just saw another thread where they used steel ties to secure the resistors to metal instead of screws so there are other options out there.

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't think anyone has answered the tire question. I would go with 35s. If you get 33s like I did you'll wish you had 35s and plan on it next set of tires. You have 3.92 gearing?

Sowardcustoms

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-Torque
Yes I got the 8.4AN with backup camera. No front or rear sensors though. I'd figure they just mark and drill the bumpers, snap in the sensors, I'm assuming all the wiring is already there and it just has to be plugged in and flashed at the dealer?

The front bumper cover is different has the mounts made on. the wiring is not there and no access to flash codes at the dealer. The sensors are $317.00 each.

blackramexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've got a 14 and swapped every bulb out in it for leds only problems I had were with the reverse lights but it was just a faulty light that would only work when it felt like it

OP
OP
C

Ceej371

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't think anyone has answered the tire question. I would go with 35s. If you get 33s like I did you'll wish you had 35s and plan on it next set of tires. You have 3.92 gearing?

No I have the 3.21s that's why I was thinking 33's would be better.

OP
OP
C

Ceej371

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The front bumper cover is different has the mounts made on. the wiring is not there and no access to flash codes at the dealer. The sensors are $317.00 each.

Holy ****!! Scratch that idea then, that's a lift tires and rims haha.

OP
OP
C

Ceej371

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't drill my dust covers. Just lay the bulb wires and feed wires to harness over the opening edge and the. Play the cover over them and bolt it down. The seal on the cover will indent and still seal it all.

I wouldn't drill my covers either. All you need is the 2 sets of wires to come out (bulb and feed to trigger relays) and your done. Jeremy from retroshop does the same thing.
Awesome, as long as I can install then without any drilling/hole making, I'll pick up a kit.

Just an update for anyone who's curious, I got LED plate lights and Cargo lights, work great with no bulb out messages and super bright white light at night looks great! Will post some pics, just gotta figure out how to lol

Sowardcustoms

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-Torque
Holy ****!! Scratch that idea then, that's a lift tires and rims haha.

I hear ya I have the exact same model and year as yours and love it. Mine did come with park sensors thank goodness. Good luck with the mods.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Demon Hunter 441