Pinion Seal keeps leaking!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I have a 2017 Ram 1500 sport that came from the factory with 3.21 Gears and Open Differential. I had the rear end re-geared to 3.92 with Anti-Spin axle all Mopar parts about 7 months ago. Up until a 2-3 weeks ago my pinion seal was leaking for the first time. It splattered fluid all over my gas tank and exhaust as well as leaving a small puddle in my driveway. I called the guy up that rebuilt my rear end and he replaced the rear seal. Not even a week later the new seal is leaking again! Not as bad but still leaking. When he took the old seal out he inspected the yoke and said it looked clean and no damage or anything that might damage the seal. I also checked the vent tube and that was clear. I will be calling him again about this but what is everyone's thoughts on what might be causing this. It's a 2017 Ram 1500 with 28k miles.

superjoe83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
May have lost the pinion bearing preload for some reason and the pinion is walking around a bit and causing it to leak. I would think that he would check that if he did the install

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
That is wierd for sure. Possibly the area on the pinion gear where the seal rides is incorrect? (Undersized) worth checking with a mic that's for sure...

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
May have lost the pinion bearing preload for some reason and the pinion is walking around a bit and causing it to leak. I would think that he would check that if he did the install
Would there be any side affects in noise or vibration if the preload was lost?

superjoe83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Possible gear whine under deceleration or acceleration, if it's loose enough to leak you should be able to grab the drive shaft at the axle, and with the parking brake on and the transmission in neutral try to shake the shaft up and down and in and out, there should be no play