Please help before I go insane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you've been living with it for three years obviously you aren't in an emissions state, otherwise you wouldn't pass inspection with the emissions code in the computer. Not that I'd suggest it, but you could just remove the cats, tune out the downstream O2 sensors and be done with the whole mess.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
just on an odd ball chance that the o2 sensors are correct for each position, OfCourse there are 4 but two have different part numbers and make sure they are in the position they are intended for , mixing them up will send the wrong infor to the ecm and could cause the engine light on , and relate to this problem
YUP, 4 sensors. 2 for up stream/2 for downstream. Wouldn't be the 1st time someone put them in reverse order, just a saying, something to check. BUT as far as OEM: on these finicky things, ONLY OEM sensors, nothing else. IMHO.

karkrafter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can't speak to your exact issue but in dealing with the dreaded 420 code in the past I have found a couple things...some vehicles are super fussy as to what brand o2 sensor you use. Sometimes you just HAVE to use oem...secondly, cleaning the cat has never worked for me. Might shut the light off long enough to get smogged but that was about it. As for the cats you used, IF your vehicle is a California emissions vehicle and you used a federal emissions cat...light is gonna come on, period. You can try to move the rear o2 and hide it a bit. This might work, or it might now. A good computer guy should be able to read the sensor with a scan tool and tell you what the issue is.

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had similar issue with my 04.5.7. The new cats I got were to small . (Short). Aftermarket cats will work fine. The man I got my cat’s from said there is no high flow cat’s because they all have the same substrate . But if their too small you’ll have issues. He was right as I now have over 150k on aftermarket cat’s. & no codes since replaced. If your o2’s were not moved they should be fine.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We're the O2 sensors MoPar or aftermarket? Years ago I learned to use only OEM.
I've only known one vehicle where aftermarket O2 sensors worked without issue: a 2017 Tundra.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 10118 miles.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is guaranteed to get rid of the post cat code, I used it on a gutted cat without issue in an I/M testing state.