Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gwuhesos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay guys, it's go time. I need all the help I can get! Here's the quick run-down... There are many thing I likely could have done to avoid this situation, but I am where I am. Thanks for reading. Enjoy, and let me know if you can offer any insight.

So... I've had this truck, my 2017 1500 BigHorn, since early 2020... picked it up with around 40k miles on it.

Started off as a daily driver, bringing me to and from work, then started working from home, so it was just an errand runner pretty much.

Fast forward to a mid 2021 and we see the $**T hitting the fan, so I started doing some driving to earn extra money.

While I still had the extended warranty, I brought the truck in for a peculiar tick that was fairly loud... Turned out it was an exhaust leak at the header due to a broken bolt... They fixed it, and a few months later, that sound came back... and I was busy driving around, didn't really think twice about it as I had extended the warranty by getting the work done at the dealer.

Well, the warranty expired, and I was stuck with this "exhaust leak".

2022 - Drove 220,000 Miles

Replaced my front wheel hubs due to near failure, recognized symptoms pretty early, and the repair was pretty smooth. Cost like $700 at a local mechanic's shop.

Driving out to Colorado, during a pretty violent wind storm, the truck began exhibiting some issues. The truck was kicked out of cruise control, which at that point was inoperable, and the traction control light came on. I did some quick research and decided it was a wheel speed sensor that was malfunctioning due to the high wind, and load I was trailering. Continued on my trip, and the following day, the issue(s) went away.

2023 - Drove 40,000 Miles

Fast forward to a couple of months ago, I get a P0420 code... which gather is a catalytic converter issue code - which I assumed was due to THE ORIGINAL SPARK PLUGS still being used... ** I am waiting on a prototype set up spark plugs from a Nascar racing development team that they are actually making specific for GEN IV RAM's ** So my plan was take it into the shop, without really having more time to wait for the plugs to be made (available in early 2024)... I get into my truck on Thursday morning, and head over to the mechanic shop, when all of a sudden, the truck made an "odd" sound and began driving terribly. Poor throttle response, noisy, and ROUGH. I immediately turned around and came back home. Had it towed to the shop, and waiting 6 grueling hours to hear that I had collapsed lifters in bank 4.

The truck has 313,000 miles roughly. The engine is shot.

What should I do?

New engine, Used engine, rebuilt engine, rebuild my engine?

Please, I need someone to talk to about this. I think this is the best place for it.

Thanks ahead of time!

**UPDATE** Oct. 27 - Picked up my truck from the dealership, with a new longblock installed. I'll answer all posts below. Happy to answer any questions for clarity to help anyone in the future, though not sure how much of help I would be. Thanks for everyone's feedback and advice.

Last edited:

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You lost me at special spark plugs...

But, if you like the truck put a motor in it. If you don't like the truck and want to sell it, put a motor in it. A truck with a blown motor isn't worth squat.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Your best bet is to have the mechanic do a full review of the engine and inform a out the option of rebuilding the engine. How are the rest of the components. If engine is solid, maybe rebuilding but the only one who can really know if this is a viable option is the mechanic who tears it down.

Start there, and get that cost. Engines get rebuilt and provide years of reliable service, as long as the base is solid. If not possible, your mechanic may also have a line on a good remanufactured engine of that is the better path forward and you may also get suggestions from here.

I strongly suggest avoiding a used engine unless you have insight on history. You wouldn't know anything about it and could have problems.

Good luck.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would inspect the VVT solenoid valve, its located under the intake manifold front, if there are metal shavings in their they have gotten into the lubrication system, mains, rods, journals, you have allot of miles on her, a complete rebuild would be in order, some on here would say get a used one W/ low miles and transplant it, that is the cheaper way verses cost of engine rebuild parts, W330,000 miles what else will fail.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
** I am waiting on a prototype set up spark plugs from a Nascar racing development team that they are actually making specific for GEN IV RAM's **

I need clarification on this. Spark plugs are spark plugs. What does Nascar have anything to do with this. Especially since Nascar doesn't do any research and development, the teams do.

You have 313k miles on it? Sounds like the engine is tired and I think you got your money out of it. Time to replace/rebuild it. I can only imagine how the rest of the truck is doing with so many miles.

If I was in the same boat, I would get a junker in it and sell the truck. That is a ton of miles. I would prefer to start over with a newer truck.

just my opinion, take it as you will. Good luck with it! Nice to see a hemi going so far.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I would think about the General condition of the 2017 Ram
You have put 270,000 miles on it, since you bought it.

How much rust do you have , especially on the under body & fenders ?
Have you ever changed the different fluids ?
Brakes, Steering, Differentials, Transmission.

I know that my Brother in Law has a home on Lake Zoar & his truck is only good for dump runs & a occasional run into Waterbury. If it broke down, he would sign the paperwork & leave the FOB on the floor & leave it right there.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Lacking a lot of needed info, but there is no value in dropping a new engine or even new rebuilt engine in a ram with over 300k miles. You know how things are these days, no service ridiculous prices. I just saw hondas still lease at 300ish per month. If you had a rav 4 for those 300k miles you would have 50k dollars in cash just from gas if you paid 5 bucks per gal, if it was a honda sedan much more like tens of thousands more. If you drive for a living and dont need the truck, you would be medically insane to not look at other options with this economy unless you are rich and money dont matter.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I may have driven 500 miles a day average, for 5 days a week.
It did not stay at that average for four week periods, they were several days that i did not leave the driveway.
I did that from 2004 - 2019.
I would like to do it again, when my body heals itself

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Crate engine from Ram, AND/OR (if you have time and resources), tear down and completely rebuild the former.

JMHO, YMMV

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With so many miles on it if you like the truck and plan on running it til it rots in half throw a used low mile engine in and go about your way not worth a rebuilt/new engine.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
313k miles? my opinion is putting a new engine in it is like putting lipstick on a pig. The engine might be "new" but everything mechanical on that truck is worn out.

even an engine swap isn't going to bring you the $$ you want out of it.

you asked for opinions, i just gave mine. :)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Check the value of the truck. And price out options for a new engine. It is hard to divorce yourself from feelings, I doubt I could do that myself if it happens to me knock wood, but setting feelings aside you will be pumping money in the truck that will surpass it's value. If you take your miles, good condition which is all you will get with 330k miles, and standard ops the top out of value is 11k. If you take the same truck but with average per year miles 10-11k miles per year and label it very good condition, the value jumps to 25k. That is what miles does to value, so if you put an engine in there even when done, the value of the equipment will still be less then the engine you just purchased, there is no extra value for having a new engine versus a functioning engine. Perhaps there should be, but in the financial world this doesnt exist, need to take paper out on the truck the value is the value, need to trade it in the value is the value.

OP
OP
gwuhesos

gwuhesos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You lost me at special spark plugs...

But, if you like the truck put a motor in it. If you don't like the truck and want to sell it, put a motor in it. A truck with a blown motor isn't worth squat.
Sorry to have lost you there caulk...

Here's some info for clarity... I mispoke when I said Nascar, it was Roush Yates that this was delivered to... I simply live in "Nascar" country... but once I did some research, this is what I found... excuse me for mis speaking.

The company I contracted with is called Tempest Aero Group, feel free to look them up - https://tempestplus.com/product/spark-plug/ they make aviation grade products... clearly working on some prototype stuff, including for my truck... will keep you guys updated on that.

I LOVE the truck, new motor is in. Thanks for taking the time and advice you offered!

OP
OP
gwuhesos

gwuhesos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your best bet is to have the mechanic do a full review of the engine and inform a out the option of rebuilding the engine. How are the rest of the components. If engine is solid, maybe rebuilding but the only one who can really know if this is a viable option is the mechanic who tears it down.

Start there, and get that cost. Engines get rebuilt and provide years of reliable service, as long as the base is solid. If not possible, your mechanic may also have a line on a good remanufactured engine of that is the better path forward and you may also get suggestions from here.

I strongly suggest avoiding a used engine unless you have insight on history. You wouldn't know anything about it and could have problems.

Good luck.
I couldn't take the chance with a rebuilt engine - quotes were too high, with not enough warranty, and info I got from someone I know very well, was that most companies (including dealers) when rebuilding an engine or remanufacturing an engine, will replace only damaged/worn parts... that didn't sit right with me, being that I would need the replacement engine to last at least as long as the original.

I can let you know what was quoted in various scenarios, if you have any interest, but the bill from the dealer wasn't pretty. I did get a 3 year, unlimited warranty on parts and labor the the engine, and various unlimited mile warranties on other odds and ends, including spark plugs, fuel delivery system components, etc...

Thanks for your advice!

OP
OP
gwuhesos

gwuhesos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would inspect the VVT solenoid valve, its located under the intake manifold front, if there are metal shavings in their they have gotten into the lubrication system, mains, rods, journals, you have allot of miles on her, a complete rebuild would be in order, some on here would say get a used one W/ low miles and transplant it, that is the cheaper way verses cost of engine rebuild parts, W330,000 miles what else will fail.
You brought up something that only one of the mechanics that I spoke with even brought up, which was the chance of having a damaged intake manifold due to "catastrophic failure"... not sure what point of failure I was at, but they did not replace the intake manifold... migrated it over.

I did not want to go the rebuilt/used route, because with all the miles I put on it, they wouldn't offer enough of a warranty. Got a 3 year, unlimited mile warranty from the dealer.

Thanks for the advice!

OP
OP
gwuhesos

gwuhesos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I need clarification on this. Spark plugs are spark plugs. What does Nascar have anything to do with this. Especially since Nascar doesn't do any research and development, the teams do.

You have 313k miles on it? Sounds like the engine is tired and I think you got your money out of it. Time to replace/rebuild it. I can only imagine how the rest of the truck is doing with so many miles.

If I was in the same boat, I would get a junker in it and sell the truck. That is a ton of miles. I would prefer to start over with a newer truck.

just my opinion, take it as you will. Good luck with it! Nice to see a hemi going so far.
Here's some info for clarity... I mispoke when I said Nascar, it was Roush Yates that this was delivered to... I simply live in "Nascar" country... but once I did some research, this is what I found... excuse me for mis speaking.

The company I contracted with is called Tempest Aero Group, feel free to look them up - https://tempestplus.com/product/spark-plug/ they make aviation-grade products... clearly working on some prototype stuff, including for my truck... will keep you guys updated on that.

Yes, it had that many miles, and the engine was tired, and hanging on by a thread. The rest of the truck was actually gone over by the dealer, and given the stamp of approval. Had everything checked and serviced. If they found anything too wrong with much else, I likely wouldn't have dumped the crazy money for a new engine.

I couldn't get rid of the truck as I still owe on it, and it's not worth diddly to anyone but me with this number of miles. Had no choice but to repair it, figured best best was brand new from the dealer.

I am very proud of the amount of miles I got out of it also... with this 3 year, unlimited mile warranty they gave me, and the money I paid to get the work done, MANY more miles will be put on it. Will keep you updated on that. I have a feeling it will get near a million miles in the next three years.

OP
OP
gwuhesos

gwuhesos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would think about the General condition of the 2017 Ram
You have put 270,000 miles on it, since you bought it.

How much rust do you have , especially on the under body & fenders ?
Have you ever changed the different fluids ?
Brakes, Steering, Differentials, Transmission.

I know that my Brother in Law has a home on Lake Zoar & his truck is only good for dump runs & a occasional run into Waterbury. If it broke down, he would sign the paperwork & leave the FOB on the floor & leave it right there.
The undercarriage is actually pretty clean. Less than normal rust I would say, I washed it quite often.

The only problem area with regards to the fenders, or anywhere on the body, is some rust bubbling up on the passenger side front fender. Will be addressing that at some point soon before it gets out of hand.

Fluids - definitely not changed according to manufacturer specs... but not completely neglected.

Diff., brakes, and steering were serviced, trans is next, once I save up some more to pay for it, they want $1,500 and are telling me I need to drop the trans pan and replace it because of the model of track <-- can anyone confirm?

I hear that... with regards to a truck that's bought and paid for, I still owe on the truck, so had no choice really.

OP
OP
gwuhesos

gwuhesos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lacking a lot of needed info, but there is no value in dropping a new engine or even new rebuilt engine in a ram with over 300k miles. You know how things are these days, no service ridiculous prices. I just saw hondas still lease at 300ish per month. If you had a rav 4 for those 300k miles you would have 50k dollars in cash just from gas if you paid 5 bucks per gal, if it was a honda sedan much more like tens of thousands more. If you drive for a living and dont need the truck, you would be medically insane to not look at other options with this economy unless you are rich and money dont matter.
Happy to provide any info you need...

The only value in dropping a "new" engine, is that I get to drive the truck that I am still paying for.

Got a really good warranty, which made it worth it (unlimited miles for 3 years on motor, and other things)

Definitely not rich, otherwise it wouldn't be a 2017 RAM, and I wouldn't be here whining about it... But my hands were tied. I owe on the truck.

Not sure about your honda reference, if you wanted to clarify that, but I think I get what you are saying.

Being that I put so many of the miles on there, and am very familiar with the truck, and what it can do... I was confident in swapping the engine, having every thing else inspected, services, and/or repaired... which turned out not being all that bad... most of everything was in good shape.

Only thing left to service is transmission, but I need my finances to catch its breathe before I dump more money into the truck.

Thanks for the input!