Poor exhaust work!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just to move to a different, lighthearted topic, this is the muffler outlet/tailpipes on my truck, not very good, huh?
When I have the exhaust apart to do the headers, I will correct this.
Ignore the brake cable, I just put it there to get it out of the way while I do the IHC brackets.
onfPDExl.jpg

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Woulda been better with a Muffler delete haha

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just braze the hole it shut... 10min job. It'll last. It looks like a hole from welding. The surrounding area looks pretty solid. Or fill it with wire weld if you have access to a welder. Probably last another 10yrs.
:waytogo:

But yeah, I agree, those are some good looking welds. I just usually tack each exhaust joint in 3 places when I put exhaust on. And it rusts together in like a couple weeks. And the tacks are in locations which are easy to access & cut off should someone need to remove the pipe down the road. Just cut the welds and heat/cut with a torch.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
By the looks of the far pipe behind the muffler,you're due for a whole system.That far pipe is almost past the point of being fix able

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's what we call 'surface rust' up in these parts... :rotflmao:

Just close the hole up and yer good for several yrs. Save up for a Cybertruck..(no exh)

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
typical of flowmasters. They use aluminized steel. Also those chambered mufflers have been proven to actually hurt flow and loose slight hp. This has been proven by 3rd parties. Straight through designed mufflers are what you want for gains. Message me if you would like a quote on something different.

OP
OP
Racer9

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just braze the hole it shut... 10min job. It'll last. It looks like a hole from welding. The surrounding area looks pretty solid. Or fill it with wire weld if you have access to a welder. Probably last another 10yrs.
:waytogo:

But yeah, I agree, those are some good looking welds. I just usually tack each exhaust joint in 3 places when I put exhaust on. And it rusts together in like a couple weeks. And the tacks are in locations which are easy to access & cut off should someone need to remove the pipe down the road. Just cut the welds and heat/cut with a torch.
There's no hole, it just looks like it in the pic.
By the looks of the far pipe behind the muffler,you're due for a whole system.That far pipe is almost past the point of being fix able

I was mostly referring to the closer pipe. I know pics are tough but if you look at where the brake cable goes down past it you can see the restriction. It looks like there's about a 3/8" smaller pipe in there.
typical of flowmasters. They use aluminized steel. Also those chambered mufflers have been proven to actually hurt flow and loose slight hp. This has been proven by 3rd parties. Straight through designed mufflers are what you want for gains. Message me if you would like a quote on something different.
Will do, I was following the thread where someone went to Borla from Corsi, or maybe the other way, I have to look again.
I have a set of long tubes with cats enroute. Could upgrade the rest of the system.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
There's no hole, it just looks like it in the pic.

I was mostly referring to the closer pipe. I know pics are tough but if you look at where the brake cable goes down past it you can see the restriction. It looks like there's about a 3/8" smaller pipe in there.

Will do, I was following the thread where someone went to Borla from Corsi, or maybe the other way, I have to look again.
I have a set of long tubes with cats enroute. Could upgrade the rest of the system.
To tell you the truth,those look like the original 2.25" pipes your R/T would of came with. Most after market catback systems up the pipes to the bigger 2.5" pipes. I like the Magnaflow kit on my truck,it's been modded ahead of the mufflers,but behind the mufflers it's still the original pipes i bought way back in the fall of 14 and the pipe's behind the mufflers are still holding up good.

Attachments

• IMG_3996.JPG
    IMG_3996.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
Racer9

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, now that I look at it closer, you may be right. I'm just used to massive rust up here in NW PA. This truck originally came out of Fla, I bought it in N.C.

roadrnnr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To tell you the truth,those look like the original 2.25" pipes your R/T would of came with. Most after market catback systems up the pipes to the bigger 2.5" pipes. I like the Magnaflow kit on my truck,it's been modded ahead of the mufflers,but behind the mufflers it's still the original pipes i bought way back in the fall of 14 and the pipe's behind the mufflers are still holding up good.
You must not live in a rust area. I have had the Magnaflow system on mine since 2011 and replaced it three times!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You must not live in a rust area. I have had the Magnaflow system on mine since 2011 and replaced it three times!
I'm in Alberta,lol. You would of had to replace any other after market system just as often if not more often as the Magnaflow system.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
That looks quite top drawer to me, no haywire or tin cans, and the welds are on the joint, sort of.

Wild one, I have not seen a truck in the show room that clean.
I am in Sask., next door to Alberta, we don't get a lot of salt here , eastern Canada is bad for that.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That looks quite top drawer to me, no haywire or tin cans, and the welds are on the joint, sort of.

Wild one, I have not seen a truck in the show room that clean.
I am in Sask., next door to Alberta, we don't get a lot of salt here , eastern Canada is bad for that.
I'm originally a Sask native myself,lol.I'm a bit nuts about keeping things clean you might say :waytogo: I have a buddy who owns one of the local car washes,and he lets me spend a couple hours in a bay with my ramps:Big Laugh: I hand wash and armour-all the under carriage at least twice a year ;)

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm originally a Sask native myself,lol.I'm a bit nuts about keeping things clean you might say :waytogo: I have a buddy who owns one of the local car washes,and he lets me spend a couple hours in a bay with my ramps:Big Laugh:
Do you do windows? That is my problem these days with bad joints

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Do you do windows? That is my problem these days with bad joints
I'll probably get raked over the coals,but i actually polish both sides of the windows when i polish or wax my vehicles.