Poor Headlight Peformance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AngryRams

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I purchased TYC projectors for my ram, and added LED H11X Lumen headlights... it came with everything I needed to make them PNP but the performance is extremely poor. And it feels like their output increases when activating the brights...

It did come with an additional wire harness to connect the canbus adapter to the battery... is this my issue?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Are the projectors aimed correctly? Some LEDs work better in projectors than others, sometimes it's how the LED is clocked within the housing. You say they seem to get brighter when the highs are on, that is probably the shutter dropping out of the way if the projectors have them.

OP
OP
AngryRams

AngryRams

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are the projectors aimed correctly? Some LEDs work better in projectors than others, sometimes it's how the LED is clocked within the housing. You say they seem to get brighter when the highs are on, that is probably the shutter dropping out of the way if the projectors have them.

Hmm.. any suggestions for a different bulb?

Fitzreefer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
Usually HIDs are recommended for projectors vs LEDs as Crash suggested. You really need a bulb that directs light forward and not to the sides. I have a '13 PW that comes stock with projectors. I've been wanting to upgrade to HID, but the $300+ price tag has kept me away so far. HR has a kit.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OP
OP
AngryRams

AngryRams

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Usually HIDs are recommended for projectors vs LEDs as Crash suggested. You really need a bulb that directs light forward and not to the sides. I have a '13 PW that comes stock with projectors. I've been wanting to upgrade to HID, but the $300+ price tag has kept me away so far. HR has a kit.

I have considered hid but I hate the idea of hacking wires.

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve recently added HID’s and did zero hacking of any wires. Innovited is the brand, used the 35w. It did require AlfaOBD to turn on the HID option. Also added Hikari LED hi’s and fogs, which I used AlfaOBD to turn those on as well. All plug and play.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From what I've read LEDs don't do too well in projectors.

That being said, the Diode Dynamics SL1 LEDs that I have in my reflectors say on the box they work with Projectors for whatever thats worth...

You could always go with the tried and true Silverstar Ultra/Osram Nightbreaker bulbs....

Last edited:

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The OE projectors are far from ideal. The aftermarket (TYC) has allegedly an even more questionable projector.

LEDs + Halogen Projector = POOR performance.
HIDs + Halogen Projector = Decent
LED or HIDs + Proper Projector = :)

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

I didn't have to hack any wires on either of my 4th gen trucks. I used a Morimoto kit from Retro Shop on my 2014 & 2017. Both trucks came with projector style headlights so the upgrade worked very well.

Fitzreefer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
I believe there is no hacking on Headlight Revolution's kit either.