Popular Equipment Group required?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1GCEK14V95Z216248

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello,

I am in the process of obtaining quotes for a 2015 Tradesman. The truck will need to be ordered due to the way I want it configured. The dealer told me that the $500 "Popular Equipment Group" (which includes items listed below) must be included with the order. Does this seem typical? I live in northern New Jersey.

Thanks.

Popular Equipment Group
-Cloth 40 / 20 / 40 Bench Seat​
-40 / 20 / 40 Split Bench Seat​
-Front Armrest with Three Cup Holders​
-Front Floor Mats​
-SiriusXM Satellite Radio w/ 1-Yr Radio Subscription​

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is probably required because of one or more of the options you are asking for. Go on the Ram site and build your own. It will advise you when you try to add an option that the popular equipment group is needed.

SouthernBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
SouthernBoy on here just ordered a truck a week or 2 ago without the package so I would say it isn't required.

That is correct, I did not want the XM radio, cloth seats or carpet, I got the Workgrade Vinyl seats instead.

This is my build:

2015-RAM-2500-4x4-Options_zps5u6tv9mu.jpg

JCJ4290

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I saw one at a dealership up in Boston without the cloth or Sirius and with the Hemi. Dealerships will try and force you into what they have, always assume what they say is a lie.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I saw one at a dealership up in Boston without the cloth or Sirius and with the Hemi. Dealerships will try and force you into what they have, always assume what they say is a lie.

The OP didn't say what options he was ordering. As I previously stated I bet one or more of the options he wants to order require the popular equipment group. That isn't the dealer forcing or being dishonest, certain options require adding or removing items. That is the manufacturer. If the OP builds the exact options on line it will tell him.

An example would be my truck. Because it had the Black Express Package it deletes the normally standard bed coating and class IV hitch, which then has to be added back on if you want either.

Last edited:

JCJ4290

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not all are dishonest, I didn't mean that. But most will do whatever they can to con you into what is convenient for their sale, it's what they have to do to make a living. As you stated, if he builds it online, the Ram website will tell him what has to be added with certain options.

As far as the bedliner delete, you and I have the same truck (year, make, model, and trim) but mine has the spray in bedliner from the factory and on my window sticker. The black package doesn't delete an option, the dealer orders a truck with options they think the public will pay for. I went to 5 different dealerships before I got mine.

14MDRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not all are dishonest, I didn't mean that. But most will do whatever they can to con you into what is convenient for their sale, it's what they have to do to make a living. As you stated, if he builds it online, the Ram website will tell him what has to be added with certain options.

As far as the bedliner delete, you and I have the same truck (year, make, model, and trim) but mine has the spray in bedliner from the factory and on my window sticker. The black package doesn't delete an option, the dealer orders a truck with options they think the public will pay for. I went to 5 different dealerships before I got mine.

I believe he is right. When I was looking at buying new the black package had a line "bedliner delete". The one I was looking at then added the bedliner back in for $495 or something like that.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The black package doesn't delete an option

I believe he is right. When I was looking at buying new the black package had a line "bedliner delete". The one I was looking at then added the bedliner back in for $495 or something like that.

Some options packages delete other options. The bedliner is one of those options, 17" wheels is another, trailer hitch is another, there are many more examples.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hello,

I am in the process of obtaining quotes for a 2015 Tradesman. The truck will need to be ordered due to the way I want it configured. The dealer told me that the $500 "Popular Equipment Group" (which includes items listed below) must be included with the order. Does this seem typical? I live in northern New Jersey.

Thanks.

Popular Equipment Group
-Cloth 40 / 20 / 40 Bench Seat​
-40 / 20 / 40 Split Bench Seat​
-Front Armrest with Three Cup Holders​
-Front Floor Mats​
-SiriusXM Satellite Radio w/ 1-Yr Radio Subscription​

What configuration are you looking to get?

OP
OP

1GCEK14V95Z216248

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What configuration are you looking to get?
I want the truck configured as found below... As far as building the vehicle on the website, the "Popular Equipment Group" (PEG) is not needed with these specs.

MODEL
> Ram 1500 Tradesman Regular Cab 4x4 6'4" Box
COLORS
> Granite Crystal Metallic Clear Coat Exterior Paint
OPTIONS
> 8-Speed Automatic 8HP70 Transmission
> 3.92 Rear Axle Ratio
> 5.7-Liter V8 Hemi® MDS VVT Engine
> Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle

OP
OP

1GCEK14V95Z216248

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In addition to the info provided in my original post, it seems appropriate to note that the websites model comparison page indicates that the PEG consists of the following:
-Cloth 40 / 20 / 40 Bench Seat
-40 / 20 / 40 Split Bench Seat
-Front Armrest with Three Cup Holders
-Rear Folding Seat
-Storage Tray
-Remote Keyless Entry with All-Secure
-SiriusXM Satellite Radio w/ 1-Yr Radio Subscription

However, information shown via the website's "build" page indicates that the PEG ($500) consists of the following:
-Cloth 40 / 20 / 40 Bench Seat
-40 / 20 / 40 Split Bench Seat
-Front Armrest with Three Cup Holders
-Front Floor Mats
-SiriusXM Satellite Radio w/ 1-Yr Radio Subscription

Another package shown via the build page is the "Power and Remote Entry Group" (P&REG) ($735) which includes the following:
-Black Exterior Mirrors
-Exterior Mirrors with Heating Element
-Power Heated Mirrors with Manual Fold-Away
-Power Door Locks
-Premium Door Trim with Map Pocket
-Power Windows with Front One-Touch-Down Feature
-Remote Keyless Entry with All-Secure

There are inconsistencies/overlap when comparing items contained in the group(s) as shown on the build page versus the model comparison page. For instance, according to the model comparison page, "Remote Keyless Entry with All-Secure" is part of the PEG group, but it is part of the P&REG group on the build page.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
You've got a 2 seater compared to a 1 seater I think.

JCJ4290

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ram's website shows that should be a feasible truck without the poplar group. I guess if you really want vinyl, you can work that into the deal or get the dealer to essentially give you the package for free since you don't want it anyway.