Powder coated headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMRbrnSNRbrd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 CC Hemi Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know there are a lot of nice headers that will perform awesome...but ANYTHING is better than stock manifolds...

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hey sorry if i gave bad info but that was 10 yrs ago lol. As far as the chrome one but they will turn weird colors on you from the heat.

Last edited:

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The SS ones will eventually rust. They should be called "rust resistant" instead. And chrome is probably the worst choice of all. First, it turns colors right away and just looks burnt. Second, they don't do chrome like they used to and they will still end up rusting out too soon.

I know it's tempting to cheap out, but in the long run you will wish you went with the ceramic coating.

Hammer_Z71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can always find you a local shop to coat them. If it's a good shop, their coating will be much thicker than any factory ceramic coat.

A guy who used to own a performance shop near me suggested I order them in stainless and have a shop that he used about 30 miles from me coat them. I called that shop and was able to have my Pacesetters drop shipped there, so when they were done, I'd only have to make one trip to pick them up. Very thick coat, inside and out.

I put them on in the spring of '06 and they pretty much still look like the day I installed them. Maybe a tad duller in color and that's about it.

Now, it will cost you more to do it thisaway than just ordering them factory coated. Cost me about $150 more, but the quality and thickness of the coating is pretty noticeable and should not only last longer but help to keep engine bay temps down as well.

If you don't know of any shops locally, ask the Harley guys, as most shops that do chroming, do ceramic coating as well...

OP
OP
swamp_life hemi 05

swamp_life hemi 05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I talked to a buddy and he has a drag car, he said our machine shop here in town has ceramic coating spray for DIY projects, he said we could take the stainless headers or the powdercoated ones and coat either inside and out and it should work fine. He's had his headers on for 5 yrs with the same coating. And he races atleast 2 times a month. And it'll only be around $50 for the cans of coating.....

Droid incredible 2 on the move!

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
You are still talking about a vehicle that is driven twice a month and never in the rain vs one that wil be driven everywhere. Its apples to oranges. If the headers are cheap, then go for it trying the DIY ceramic coating, if they pricey though, let a shop do the coating. Worst thing would be to drop $500 on headers to turn around in a year or so and have to replace them due to rust.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can't coat the inside with a spray, at least not past the first end. You need a dip to do it right.