Power Lumbar help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
Hey everyone! Im new to this forum stuff and I need help. I have a 2010 1500 SLT with the power drivers seat. Everything works except the power lumbar. Stuck all the way out and uncomfortable. Push the button and nothing. It did work intermittantly then stopped all together. I tried a new switch and nothing. I tried everything except pulling the seat out and checking the wiring really good. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Uhhhhh!

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The power lumbar is actualy a motor that runs in and out which pushes out a plastic panel. It may be a bad connection at either the motor or the switch. It also may be a bad motor itself or the plastic piece has somehow jammed making it unable to move. It is not that difficult to remove the back of the upper seat cover enough to view the motor itself by unzipping it from the side. Once you have acces to the motor you can check and see if you are getting power to the motor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hemi10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
Yeah I had it apart. Didnt think to see if it was jammed. Any way to make it go down if its not jammed or motor/wiring is bad. Thanks for the reply.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I had it apart. Didnt think to see if it was jammed. Any way to make it go down if its not jammed or motor/wiring is bad. Thanks for the reply.

It should have two wires going to the motor. It's a simple reverse polarity system. Disconnect the plug and hook two wires to a positive and negative source or a battery and use them to make a connection in the plug. If you hook Positive to one side Negative to the other it will go one way. Reverse the wires to go the other way. This is only if the motor has two wires which if I remember correctly it does. If the motor has two wires and this doesn't work I would suspect a bad motor or a jammed assembly.

OP
OP
H

Hemi10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
Yeah it has to plugs. I'll try that. I guess if that doesn't work I'll have to try to take it apart. Would the motor make any sounds if its just jammed? Thanks

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah it has to plugs. I'll try that. I guess if that doesn't work I'll have to try to take it apart. Would the motor make any sounds if its just jammed? Thanks

You might be able to hear it trying to move but you may not. If the motor will not move use a Multimeter to check and see if you have power to the plug when you activate the switch. This will tell you for sure that you have a jammed assembly or a bad motor. If the motor moves when you jump it and you have no power to the plug when you activate the switch you know your problem lies somewhere else other than the motor. Also it shouldn't have two plugs I am guessing you meant two wires and one plug?

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hemi10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
Just out of curiosity, I was looking at the motor, how do you get it out? By the way, no power to the motor or the switch.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just out of curiosity, I was looking at the motor, how do you get it out? By the way, no power to the motor or the switch.

At least you are narrowing it down. Were you able get the motor to work by jumping it? Never tryed to remove one. Just remembered checking it out when I recovered my seats. Now you can start tracing your problem back untill you find it.

OP
OP
H

Hemi10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
Havnt jumped the motor yet. I need to find a battery or some wire long enough.

OP
OP
H

Hemi10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
Oh, and I disconnected the lumbar so it would go down. I guess if I have to, I'll just leave it like that. But I do want it fixed.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would jump.the motor to see if it works. If it does work I would move it to the low position and hook the lumbar mechanism back up. Check the plug and the wiring to make sure it's not the issue and then start tracing the wires back. That way you can but the seat back together knowing that you have already checked those items and you won't need to check them again. I would keep going back checking every connection. I an not sure of your lumbar motor runs off of a module or not but but it most likley does and it could also be the problem follow the wires to check. The module will most likley be attached to the bottom of the seat check all of the connections . Follow the wires going to and from you new switch to try to find where you are losing power. Also I mentioned it before but check all of your fuses. It's just a matter of ruling things out untill you find the problem. First step make sure motor works....good luck keep us posted on your progress.