97 Ram 1500 Sport Project Needs Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DG1959

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello Everyone, I just got a 1997 Ram 1500 5.9 Club Cab Sport that needs a lot of help.

Background info: It has a new motor and transmission with about 18k miles on them. The truck runs and is drivable but the interior is a disaster. The front seats have been replaced with incompatible bucket seats, the center console doesn’t really fit and is not bolted down, and neither seat leans forward enough to get in the back seat. The overhead map light console is missing. The dash has been torn apart, the previous owner wanted to put in a wood dash. The instrument cluster (minus the gear indicator) and climate control (minus the knobs) are present. All the gauges except temp appear to be working. The driver side mirror is missing the glass and the passenger side mirror doesn’t stay in position.

I’ve already ordered the top dash and bezel. Working on getting the rest of the dash items (everything right of the climate control).

First order of business: I discovered the OBD2 connector doesn’t have power and emissions is required in order to register. The fuse is good. I got a “Chilton” manual but it doesn’t have a lot on troubleshooting the OBD2 that I could find. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
D

DG1959

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update: I’ve been doing some research (correct me if I’m wrong, PLEASE), and found the OBD2 port can run off fuse 5 Cigar Lighter, fuse 7 Radio, or fuse 9 Engine. All of these fuses are good and receiving power. The truck doesn’t have a lighter or radio so I couldn’t check those. When I pulled fuse 9 with the truck running, it shut off.

I found a diagram online of the OBD2 Port in an article about diagnosing OBD2 that indicated to check the port PINS. Which I did and I am thinking the port needs to replaced? There does not appear to be any pins in number 2, 8, 10, 12, 14, or 15. I’ve attached a drawing of my port.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Resized_20240225_183714.jpeg
    Resized_20240225_183714.jpeg
    398.3 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517