POWER STEERING FAILURE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
I've been away from dealers now for a while. Electric power steering wasn't around. I'm sure there are other vehicles that come equipped with electric power steering and have similar failures. I had belts break a couple of times in old power steering vehicles and they didn't want to do anything but go straight but they could still be steered and the brakes still worked so I could slow down. Not sure if there is a difference in feel or not.

And now it looks like fly by wire brakes are right around the corner. So get ready for that...

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I've been away from dealers now for a while. Electric power steering wasn't around. I'm sure there are other vehicles that come equipped with electric power steering and have similar failures. I had belts break a couple of times in old power steering vehicles and they didn't want to do anything but go straight but they could still be steered and the brakes still worked so I could slow down. Not sure if there is a difference in feel or not.

And now it looks like fly by wire brakes are right around the corner. So get ready for that...

Ain't that the truth!

As far as I know, fully electric power steering has been around since the early 2000's, so atleast it's not brand-new tech! I know the first vehicle I had with EPS was a 2007 Chevy Cobalt I owned for a few years. I know smaller, lighter cars can be steered relatively easy if the EPS goes out, but a 1/2 ton pickup? Yikes. Our only hope is as time goes on, aftermarket companies will make parts more available and cheaper. To me, it's an easier setup under the vehicle. No hoses, pumps, fluid, etc.. But I then again, electrical gremlins can out do all that! LOL

Todd Croft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just purchased a new, 2018 Big Horn, 700 miles into it...power steering failure, never came back. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow. Had to drive all weekend. Brutal process trying to operate without the assist. It’ll be interesting to see how they work it. Fuse was good to go. No other easy op-check.

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All i can say is, i hope the OP gets it fixed, and i wish the OP the best.
With chrysler failing as usual in their vehicle electronics, this may effect sales if they dont step up and address their (PAST/FUTURE) failures for their brand.
My wife finally gave up on dodge this year, she`s jumping brand ships all because every dodge product she`s ever owned has had nothing but electronic issues non stop.

I`m sorry that i couldn`t add anything positive in here, but i too, have had my own share of the chy/dod/ram brand on-going electronic demons.
A person can only tolerate just so much, then they just simply walk away and buy another brand. Way to much technology in these vehicles today.

Instead of focusing on quality, ALL BRANDS, are in a race for the next greatest tech bling just to sell a vehicle.
Today, these vehicles are way to busy electronically. The older i get, the less i want... less is more!

I hope i never live long enough to have to duck for flying cars above us... because even most of the drivers have become an issue today.

OP
OP
alacombe

alacombe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi
Well dealership and FCA in Warren, MI said my EPSM back order part would arrive 27th, 28th, 31st of Oct. now they are saying Nov. 4th. What a joke seems like no one knows when my part is coming and if this part will even fix the issue. Truck is still categorized as "Not Drivable." Dropped my truck off on Oct 20th, so its been there now for 9 working days (13 days total).

OP
OP
alacombe

alacombe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi
Dealership called and said part is at least another 7 days out....

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Dealership called and said part is at least another 7 days out....

Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but did they at least give you a loaner vehicle? I know it sucks being without a truck you're paying for, but put the miles and wear and tear on the loaner in the meantime.

phlram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's slowly reaching the criteria to be a Lemon..

chargedup78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-Torque
i would demand they take one out of a truck on the lot and try it to make sure that fixes the problem. What dealerships get away with is amazing. I'm in the world of IT, if I made users wait as long for fixes I'd be drug out in the street and shot

phlram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i would demand they take one out of a truck on the lot and try it to make sure that fixes the problem. What dealerships get away with is amazing. I'm in the world of IT, if I made users wait as long for fixes I'd be drug out in the street and shot

Same here.. not sure how these guys get away with it...

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L

Cannibalizing a on lot vehicle in most cases will not happen if a dealer has any say. The dealership owns the vehicle and parts shortage for warranty repair is between the customer and FCA.

OP
OP
alacombe

alacombe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi
Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but did they at least give you a loaner vehicle? I know it sucks being without a truck you're paying for, but put the miles and wear and tear on the loaner in the meantime.
Yes, I have been driving this little Jeep Compass 4 cylinder thing.

Todd Croft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was also told they have to replace the rack and it’s on back order. They’ll let me know Monday how long. They’ve got in in a Pacifica!

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
Demand. ..... . A perfect way to alienate yourself with people that empathize and are/were trying to help you.

Yes, the dealership owns the vehicles in their possession and typically the manufacturer, in this case FCA, won't reimburse the dealer for the labor to R&R parts but there are exceptions. I personally had a few cars turn into donors to get a "good" customer back on the road. I would pay the tech from sales so he wasn't working for free. Never helped out a "jerk". These involved relatively easy parts to remove and replace. This steering issue could be pretty involved. In that case, ya gotta wait.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I may have a related issue. As I take "sweeper" turns on the interstate at 65-70 the steering "catches" (like a cable is bound-even though I doubt cables are used).

2019 w/3500 miles. Will take to dealer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
I think I may have a related issue. As I take "sweeper" turns on the interstate at 65-70 the steering "catches" (like a cable is bound-even though I doubt cables are used).

2019 w/3500 miles. Will take to dealer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'd think it is a different issue. This electric power steering I think is like a light bulb. Either it works or not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerred17