PPE Pan on a 2016 5.7 Hemi - 8HP70?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tfeni52355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, Air Suspension
I am considering changing the transmission oil pan on my 2016 Longhorn 5.7 Hemi with the ZF 8HP70 tranmission to a PPE pan. Some things I am concerned about are:

1) There have been some conflicting posts about whether or not the PPE pan can be installed without modifying the Y pipe for the exhaust. Is this true or not?

2) There was also a post about the fact that the extra fluid would take longer to heat and cool down due to the extra mass of the fluid in the pan. Should this be a concern?

Would like to get some input from someone who has made this modification and can provide their experiences.

Midknight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I say go for it and report back! I agree with the conflicting posts but I have stumbled across someone who looked like it worked out fine for them. My bigger question, is the drain plug accessible? From the images it appears that it would be. This would allow for a fluid change without drop inbetween a full filter/fluid change interval.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Can't answer your questions, but use you tube to see how to refill with fluid. You have to us a Jack to level the trans or you will under fill. This will fry your trans. You can find more info on the synthetic oil thread, or you can just post a question in the thread.

Last edited:

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
I would contact PPE, unless it was designed prior to the 8 speed there should be no issues with clearance using the OEM downpipes.

Circulation speed to heat should not be a concern with this trans, their engineering team would certainly be aware in the PFMEA.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Another question might be what about the guys that have installed headers and have a different cross pipe. Will the pan clear or does the pipe have to come off? Some of those pipes are 3" and the newer ones are 3 1/2"
Jay

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Another question might be what about the guys that have installed headers and have a different cross pipe. Will the pan clear or does the pipe have to come off? Some of those pipes are 3" and the newer ones are 3 1/2"
Jay

Should clear Jay. I never had any issues with clearance with my 1 7/8" JBA's when i was using their cross over pipe unmodified.Had probably close to 3" of clearence between the pan and the JBA cross over

OP
OP
tfeni52355

tfeni52355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, Air Suspension
I say go for it and report back! I agree with the conflicting posts but I have stumbled across someone who looked like it worked out fine for them. My bigger question, is the drain plug accessible? From the images it appears that it would be. This would allow for a fluid change without drop inbetween a full filter/fluid change interval.

And the answer is YES to both the clearance and drain plug location.

t3-jpg.216035

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey. Has anyone ever wrapped the section of exhaust pipe, with a header wrap type of product, that runs under the transmission pan to prevent heat from that pipe heating the pan which would in turn elevate the trans fluid temp?

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also, has anyone who has installed that pan noticed a cooler transmission temp due to the extra fluid and cooling fins on the pan?

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
Hey. Has anyone ever wrapped the section of exhaust pipe, with a header wrap type of product, that runs under the transmission pan to prevent heat from that pipe heating the pan which would in turn elevate the trans fluid temp?
I did. I used Heatshield Products Armor 170102

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did it help? Notice a little cooler temps? I would imagine it must help somewhat right?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

My long tube headers and complete exhaust system is header wrapped to my X pipe,life expectancy of the 3" maggy mufflers isn't great though,lol.I use the mufflers as a poor mans expansion chamber

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
Did it help? Notice a little cooler temps? I would imagine it must help somewhat right?
I also installed the Revmax thermostat bypass kit at the same time so I can't say that the pan/extra fluid or the heat shield did anything for cooling, but I like to think it had too. I'm also running a 3k stall converter so YMMV.

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is gonna make me feel really old and out of touch......but......can someone please tell me Wtf YMMV means?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I also installed the Revmax thermostat bypass kit at the same time so I can't say that the pan/extra fluid or the heat shield did anything for cooling, but I like to think it had too. I'm also running a 3k stall converter so YMMV.

How do you like the Revmax thermostat bypass kit? What are your tranny temps with it? If anybody can make an 8 speed hot,it should be your truck,lol

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
How do you like the Revmax thermostat bypass kit? What are your tranny temps with it? If anybody can make an 8 speed hot,it should be your truck,lol
I was seeing average temps around 165-170. I haven't run with the new engine yet.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I was seeing average temps around 165-170. I haven't run with the new engine yet.

Hurry up and get that thing installed,there's a few of us trying to live vicariously through you,lol

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
Hurry up and get that thing installed,there's a few of us trying to live vicariously through you,lol
LOL trust me I want to!
Soon, within the next month or so for sure.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therapywolf