Pro comp pro runner shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T JAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L V8
Hello everyone.

Just was hoping to share my experience with the pro comp pro runner shocks. From day 1, I was running the pro runner shocks in the rear after I got my truck back from the lift shop getting a 6” pro comp lift put on. I did notice it sat slightly lower in the front as only factory shocks on spacers were used.

MaEiov.jpg

After a couple months I went ahead and ordered the matching set for the front in hopes of leveling the truck out. Which it did thankfully. The front pro runner shocks have a coupling that you can have it flipped either or. I don’t recall the sizings or measurements but one side makes the shock sit a little taller, the other side a little shorter. I went with the taller option and to my liking, it made the truck level. After awhile I even noticed the front of the truck sat up a little taller too than in the rear.

z1i3sm.jpg

I noticed improved handling in turns and less of a roll which was nice. I took the truck off-roading on a trail and did pretty well for a desert side by side trail.

My only complaint though comes just recently after having the fronts on for about 3 months and way under 4000 miles. I was in the middle of an out of state move when I noticed the truck had a ton of creaking in the front especially on turns. Well after a 15 hour drive I come to learn both fronts had blew out and I was riding on springs. One shock was completely empty no gas (nitrogen charged) or fluid of any type. The other one was about “half way empty” according to the shop I was getting it fixed at. I was even told they appeared to have a very slight bend in the shaft. To my dismay, I found out online that these front shocks have failed others too at similar mileages. Unfortunately I was not able to get measurements of anything right after install, but a day before I got the shocks fixed, the front was at 11.5” with a 35” tire from fender to tire and the rear was 10.5”. Obviously since then I’ve gotten a few mods like aftermarket bumpers which do weigh more and may have affected how the leveling was.

I contacted 4 wheel parts where I had ordered these pro comp pro runner shocks (and who owns Procomp) and they offered me a full refund so no problems there.

As of right now the rears seem to be doing just fine. I’ve has multiple weighted loads in the back with no troubles at all.

Once again I am just wanting to share my experience in case anyone wanted to know more.
hGcN0Q.jpg
dbSIkN.jpg
mym1Wc.jpg

HDHNTER

US AIR FORCE VETERAN OEF - OIF
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks for the heads-up. Pro Comp Stage I lift on my rig as well... I will skip their coil-overs when I'm ready to upgrade.

OP
OP
T JAZ

T JAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L V8
For peace of mind I’m getting the rears swapped out too. I haven’t heard anything about their higher end coil overs but I figured I’d go with a well known brand like fox anyways.

I wasn’t aware at the time of install, but the rear pro comp lift uses spacers for the coils. I’ll also be swapping to the bds rear setup so I can run a 5” coil instead.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just bought a set of the rear shocks (I don't think they were the Pre-Runners though) and i'll be installing them probably the end of this week. I have Rancho 5000 on the truck now and when I get up in the bed, they drop a lot farther than I think they should since i'm only 260 lbs. I went to 4 Wheel Parts and everyone from the salesperson to the Store Manager said they're running the Pro Comp shocks/struts/coil overs on their Rams and love them. They also all said (and they weren't standing near each other or within ear shot of each other) that the valving, body, and all of the specs of the Pro Comps were the same as Bilstein and Fox shocks. Because I was thinking about doing the Bilstein 5100 series, I figured that I would give the Pro Comps a shot and save a little money at the same time. I've always had Ranchos on my truck, so i'm eager to see how these will hold up. I appreciate the heads up with your experience and i'll definitely keep an eye on all of them. I don't do much pulling of trailers and i'm not ready for any serious off-roading as I want to continue to upgrade my suspension and steering parts and do some more maintenance before I hit any serious trails.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went to 4 Wheel Parts and everyone from the salesperson to the Store Manager said they're running the Pro Comp shocks/struts/coil overs on their Rams and love them. They also all said (and they weren't standing near each other or within ear shot of each other) that the valving, body, and all of the specs of the Pro Comps were the same as Bilstein and Fox shocks.

Just so you know....4WP's and Procomp are sister companies, of course the upsell that brand

http://transamericanautoparts.com/

Today, Transamerican Auto Parts and its affiliates serve all levels of the automotive aftermarket. Smittybilt and Pro Comp manufacture quality products, 4 Wheel Parts and 4Wheel Drive Hardware provide a strong retail presence, Transamerican Wholesale serves resellers, and Dealer Services International caters to dealerships. All of the Transamerican Auto Parts companies, and their customers, benefit from an impressive product inventory, established distribution network, and knowledgeable and enthusiastic employees.

parts.JPG

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Have you ever been to a restaurant where they advertised crappy food or a store that said that all of their items are useless garbage?? Same deal as this. They told me they owned Pro Comp so I figured they would try and sell me on it. I am Leary of the parts but if they’re the same as the Bilstein set that I was going to buy and cost less, why not??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arghent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Just stopped by a privately owned shop to ask about installing Bilsteins up front. He trashed bilstein and told me he would install an RC level kit which would be much better. He of course sells RC. I said no thanks, I'll take the product I decided I want. Maybe I'll buy tires from him. He does sell Falken.

Reactions: JB1

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I’m not trashing any names. I could care less what the name on the shock or strut is as long as it’s good quality. Every store has their favorite. I have nothing against Bilstein, Rancho, Fox, Icon, or Rough Country. I’ve read several threads on here that give Pro Comp a bad name and I’ll take the advice under an extremely close watch and will definitely report back if they go bad quickly! I just put a set of Bilstein 5100s on a buddy’s 2013 Power Wagon and he loves them. If what the guys at the shop say is true and all of the top brand names are all pretty much the same then I’d rather save a buck or 2. If I’m wrong, I’ll gladly apologize and admit it publicly on here and swap to Bilstein as that was what I was going to put on my truck. I’m not trying to say anything bad about any brand name. I just figured that I would see how they ride and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk