Process for shifting between 2wd & 4wd? Owner's manual?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Where does it state in the owner's manual the conditions for shifting between 2wd/4wdlock/4wdlow? All I can find are descriptions of each mode (which I already knew).
Q. What is the max speed for shifting between 2wd & 4wdlock?
Q. Is it like other trucks in that the transmission must be in neutral when shifting into & out of 4wdlow?

Thanks,

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Do you have iPhone. If so you can google ram owners manual and send it to iBooks. Then it’s right there. Super easy. To answer question I believe from 2wd to 4wd is no more 40mph to shift. Yes when going to 4lo you have to shift into n. Should get a message on your eviv telling you to shift into N.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure what year truck, or which T-case you have, but for my ‘12 with the 44-44 case, the procedure is......
2wd to 4wd auto or 4wd lock - shift at any legal speed(I keep it below 50mph). No need to shift to neutral, but foot off the accelerator is recommended.

From 4wd lock, to 4lo - slow to a roll below 5 mph. Shift transmission to neutral, then shift T-case to lo. Once T-case has shifted, put transmission back to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowzer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Sold off the '18...maybe another soon.
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Took mine on a back dirt road this evening to run through all the settings.

4WD on demand at any legal speed. It will only engage front wheels when detecting slip on the rear.
4WD HI at any legal speed as mentioned above. But I don't like to do that over 50...I'm an old Jeep guy. Maybe too old!
4WD LO: The system will guide you through this on the dashboard. I had to drop below 3mph after hitting the 4LO button. THen shift to neutral, a few seconds (I noted the voltage meter jumping down for a second as all shifted into place) and you're engaged. You'll get a prompt to shift into drive. You'll feel the torque as you'll be pushing that brake pedal to hold her back.

Don't drive on pavement with 4Hi or especially 4LO as this can bind up.

Now, I gotta get the gumption up to take the 2 week old rig through some dirtier stuff and really see what she has with all 4 wheels turning.

Jamrock09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

4WD on demand at any legal speed. It will only engage front wheels when detecting slip on the rear.
4WD HI at any legal speed as mentioned above. But I don't like to do that over 50...I'm an old Jeep guy. Maybe too old!
4WD LO: The system will guide you through this on the dashboard. I had to drop below 3mph after hitting the 4LO button. THen shift to neutral, a few seconds (I noted the voltage meter jumping down for a second as all shifted into place) and you're engaged. You'll get a prompt to shift into drive. You'll feel the torque as you'll be pushing that brake pedal to hold her back.

Now, I gotta get the gumption up to take the 2 week old rig through some dirtier stuff and really see what she has with all 4 wheels turning.

I miss the old manual stick shift transfer case

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I miss the old manual stick shift transfer case

Dads power wagon has it. Something about locking all 3 diffs and putting that thing in 4-low just seems like overkill where we take it. Just silly.

The switch to 4wd is nice when you are rolling along as it takes the guess work out of it, but like a bolt action rifle you just miss that extra step. And that sweet sweet sound of the engagement.

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Mine has the lever. not a powerwagon just a tradesmen

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Where does it state in the owner's manual the conditions for shifting between 2wd/4wdlock/4wdlow? All I can find are descriptions of each mode (which I already knew).
Q. What is the max speed for shifting between 2wd & 4wdlock?
Q. Is it like other trucks in that the transmission must be in neutral when shifting into & out of 4wdlow?

Thanks,
Here you go. We’ll do the research for you, you just sit back and wait for a reply...
https://www.mopar.com/moparsvc/tweddle/publications?id=9393
This is the owners manual for the truck in your signature. Pages 332-334 answers your two questions.

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Do not exceed 55mph when shifting to 4lock.

2016 1500 Outdoorsman 4X4 5.7L

OP
OP
T

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Here you go. We’ll do the research for you, you just sit back and wait for a reply...
https://www.mopar.com/moparsvc/tweddle/publications?id=9393
This is the owners manual for the truck in your signature. Pages 332-334 answers your two questions.

Thanks for the link but my manual is actually different. My manual starts 4wd descriptions on page 158 (332-334 are for phone calling). I just find it interesting that after reading/researching my manual, I could not find something such as a maximum speed when switching from 2wd to 4wd lock. My old Ford had a max of something like 20-25 mph so I was looking for clarification or if I had just missed it in the manual. (FYI, I have the 4-position button control).

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks for the link but my manual is actually different. My manual starts 4wd descriptions on page 158 (332-334 are for phone calling). I just find it interesting that after reading/researching my manual, I could not find something such as a maximum speed when switching from 2wd to 4wd lock. My old Ford had a max of something like 20-25 mph so I was looking for clarification or if I had just missed it in the manual. (FYI, I have the 4-position button control).
You must have been looking in the “users guide”.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I could not find something such as a maximum speed when switching from 2wd to 4wd lock. My old Ford had a max of something like 20-25 mph so I was looking for clarification or if I had just missed it in the manual. (FYI, I have the 4-position button control).

General 4x4 advice seems to be keep it under 50MPH when switching to 4wd lock. Honestly if conditions are good enough where you are driving 50MPH or above you don't really need the 4wd anyways.

OP
OP
T

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You must have been looking in the “users guide”.

So there's a user's manual that comes with the truck but an owner's manual that you have to download. ??? I didn't realize that. Never had to deal with that before on a vehicle. Thank would explain a lot.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
http://owners.mopar.ca/en/manuals/2017/2017E-RAM-15_25_35-OM-4th.pdf

Mods: EGR matte black bug deflector, Westin HDX drop steps, rough county bull bar with 20” LED, custom made NW seat covers in real tree camo, husky liner mats, husky liner mud guards, undercover LUX tonneau cover, Tailgate assist, flowmaster super 40 with resonators, tinted 15% front, LED C shaped tail lights. Line-X 5.7’ box

OP
OP
T

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Downloaded my 'manual' this afternoon. Even printed out a paper copy (four manual pages per sheet). Thanks everyone.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Downloaded my 'manual' this afternoon. Even printed out a paper copy (four manual pages per sheet). Thanks everyone.
If you call or email ram directly, they will send you one for free

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
So there's a user's manual that comes with the truck but an owner's manual that you have to download. ??? I didn't realize that. Never had to deal with that before on a vehicle. Thank would explain a lot.

A lot of the vehicle manufacturers have gone to PDF copies and forgo a paper copy at delivery as a cost savings. With the RAM OM at 700+ pages, they have become gangling to navigate as a paper copy and are much better searchable in PDF format.

As others mentioned, you can still request a paper copy.

Rader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel

4WD LO: The system will guide you through this on the dashboard. I had to drop below 3mph after hitting the 4LO button. Then shift to neutral, a few seconds (I noted the voltage meter jumping down for a second as all shifted into place) and you're engaged. You'll get a prompt to shift into drive. You'll feel the torque as you'll be pushing that brake pedal to hold her back.

I wish that changing modes from 4 auto to 4hi lock was mechanical like the 242HD I had in my WJ but it isn't. From what I have read.... in 4 auto the internal clutch/coupler that is mechanically something like an E activated clutch plate type limited unit slip only activates when slip is detected, then in 4 hi lock the E clutch is activated all the time.

So when driving straight ahead without wheels spinning the shift from 4 auto to 4hi lock does not change gears or really lock anything it just changes how the clutch engages. Another factor is if the electronics detect slip or some other factor that could cause other than a seamless shift the T case will delay the shift, the indicator light will blink until the shift completes. I have experimentally shifted from 2WD to 4 auto to 4 hi lock at Montana freeway speed (80 MPH) and the shifts were completed without so much as one light blink.

jgrady

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I had a recent go round with Mopar on this "concept" .The knob and all its "ranges" is a sad sad marketing joke, (lame beyong belief--I just want 4WD ) --I was driving on sand , about 20 MPH started losing momentum(2016 Cherokee--"trail rated" etc etc ) , tried to engage 4wd, it says "to engage 4WD put foot on brake" (=stop) . then, ---so had to do that,. now stuck solidly in soft sand and stopped. had to be towed out by the nice red hook they give you (it needs that hook) . Then after stop comes "4wd temporarily not available" --really . ?? This is one sad lame joke. ----who would even consider such a terrible design 4WD user interface --or requirement, full of delays and warnings. . Someone who never drove in sand for starters, as you CANNOT stop if moving. Stopping ensures you are stuck. . more in a second on other "features"

Good 2002 system on Grand Cherokee 4.0 , would auto engage 4WD (front) if front and back driveshafts turn different speed , by a smooth 100% hydraulic action auto transmission type clutch..at any speed...even 100, without you doing anything. No electronic junk , no dog clutches, knobs , flashing red lights or dash messages. I never got stuck. Keeping that car forever. Lets you duck the V6 party too. But axles on those had only anti slip type sure grip friction system . Still much better than current. has 175 k trouble free miles on transfer case too. KEEP IT , THEN ? WHY NOT?

Even better, older Wagoneer, has 3 vacuum lock diffs (that REALLY will work, unlike mopar front axle disconnect shift ) you filp that and pull out fords and chevs on beach all day. On a ford or Chev, (dodge?) center can lock F to B , sure , but in sand you will see 2, say RF and LR spinning, they go nowhere . On wagoneer all 4 pull like crazy. This is after 35 years of weekly summer 14 mile drives over beach sand. (also lots of "subaru puddles" on beach, an observation on their 4WD /transmission in sand ) .

Last , why the low range??-- I have never used it in any vehicle, now with 9 speed trans with , what, a 4:1 first? maybe rock crawling , maybe, (we all do that) but for past 20 years, high engine power, low first gear in 9 spd will almost spin wheels with no low in transfer case ; on 16 Cherokee, it never goes into 9 rarely 8, even at 85 mph, in 7 . It is as if the transfer case design guy never talked to transmission guy about the final drive ratio. With 9 speeds , correct axle ratio, so you use the 9 speeds , why a low range ?

HEY MOPAR: Same $ as low in x fer case , spend for two vacuum or hydraulic no index friction locking diffs, front and back, manual engageable,a simple lockable fluid coupling in center ,= DONE , no electronics, no apply brakes or restrictions rooted in use of always a problem dog clutches . Mopar have had 10 kinds of ideas in this area,. none of them good. Anything that applies brakes , gets into ABS is really bad as any torque absorbed there is not pushing the car.Simplistic Idea of "other side will pull you" is all wrong again in sand,other side just starts spinning. ?put brakes on that one too?

Add in the seemingly interminable delays for electronics to really do anything--while trying to corodinate with a guy pulling you out,(or rocking car) ...or they stop you from doing what you want. = fiasco.=tow truck on beach, = 500$.

You asked a good question..All this a huge step backwards. PS 1 MPG not worth this "disconnect" stuff; 2002 4.0 six gets 20 MPG, Front is live at all times, 2016 4 cylinder gets 21. Old 1 bbl Holley carbed 68 slant six got 22.