Programing tire size on 2022 1500 Classic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjhdu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
P1110386.jpg

It seems like changing the tire size on new trucks has gotten a whole lot more difficult. I recently swapped out the basic 265/70R17 (31.7") for a set of 275/60R20 (33") and now my speedo is about 4% off.

AEV told me that their ProCal module no longer works on 2020+ 1500 Classics (even with the security bypass harness) and my dealer said they don't have the ability to change the tire size on newer trucks without going through a Mopar Vehicle Protection contract called Mopar Custom Calibration, but it is not available for my 2022 Classic. (I do see that they are available for DTs and Wranglers but the smallest programmable size is a "measured height" of 33 in, which is going to be too tall for mine anyway.)

Has anyone had any success programming the tire size on their 2022 Classic?

Ramsteen23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
View attachment 515132

It seems like changing the tire size on new trucks has gotten a whole lot more difficult. I recently swapped out the basic 265/70R17 (31.7") for a set of 275/60R20 (33") and now my speedo is about 4% off.

AEV told me that their ProCal module no longer works on 2020+ 1500 Classics (even with the security bypass harness) and my dealer said they don't have the ability to change the tire size on newer trucks without going through a Mopar Vehicle Protection contract called Mopar Custom Calibration, but it is not available for my 2022 Classic. (I do see that they are available for DTs and Wranglers but the smallest programmable size is a "measured height" of 33 in, which is going to be too tall for mine anyway.)

Has anyone had any success programming the tire size on their 2022 Classic?
I am new to this whole idea of programming a new tire size. I just upgraded the tires on my 2023 1500 Limited from stock size to 35s (LT295/55R22)...weight of tire went from 41lbs to 63. I ordered the truck with the 3.92 gear ratio partly because I planned to go with larger tires.

Can someone explain to me what the benefit is to programming the truck for a larger tire? Also, what is the risk of not doing it?

Thanks in advance!

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Shift points, acceleration (to a small degree), and speedo all look at the vehicle speed which starts at tire size. What you need is that software, AlfaOBD (~$55) which works on an android device or PC, an OBD to device interface cable, and in the case of your truck, a Secure Gateway. Then you can change the tire size yourself.

The reason you need the Secure Gateway is because all Rams 2018 and above, access to changing 'computer' parameters is protected. There were some high-profile situations some years ago where people proved they could hack into and control (to a certain degree) vehicles remotely (which they did). So Chrysler added security to protect owners against it.

OP
OP
sjhdu

sjhdu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm happy to report that AlfaOBD worked for my 2022 1500 Classic at programming tire size.

Screenshot_20230305_082125_AlfaOBD_1.jpg

All I had to do was selecting one of the presets and it was good. No lights afterward so I didn't have to reset the ABS and everything else. Verified with a Garmin GPS device and the speedo was spot on at 70 MPH.

One thing to note is that even though I selected to connect to MY2022 PowerNet, it instead connected me to MY 2018-19.

Screenshot_20230305_095030_AlfaOBD_1.jpg

Also, interestingly, the circumference number does not match the stock configuration that I use for reference which I took from earlier model trucks equipped with factory 20" wheels. I supposed Ram used to build in a correction factor for weight on the tire but no longer.

Screenshot_20230305_081604_AlfaOBD_1.jpg

Couldn't be happier with the truck now.

P1110407_.jpg

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your truck looks "perfect" with the new tire size. I was going to do that when I recently bought tires for mine. Probably next time.

You bring up a very good point though. Sometimes, on many vehicles, a guy can achieve the changes he wants by selecting a different year than his truck (of the same model) and making the changes that way. I've done that a number of times with Snap-on scanners where I've had cars which were a year or two newer than my scanner software, but could communicate and do what I needed. Doesn't always work, usually works in the middle of many years of the same model production. Sometimes worth a try.

Glad it worked!