Pulled dash to repair AC components on my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7liter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marcusrhall57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I limped along charging my ac system with a slow leak...I never could find a leak with a freon sniffer. It finally came to a point of a freon smell in the cab, the freon sniffer went crazy in the ac vent in the cab.
I knew what needed to be done. So, I pulled the dash and replaced all the components of the ac distribution box (the blower motor, a broken recirculate blend door, the ac evaporator, the heater core) and put everything back together. I found out you must replace the brake stoplight switch as the old one can't be reused after removal. So, I replaced the brake stoplight switch as my brake warning light and ABS warning lights were lit on the dash. After the brake switch replacement I still have a brake warning light, and the ABS light on... in addition to the speedometer quit working, as well as my top console doesn't light up to show gas mileage, the compass, etc. Can someone point me in the right direction to go next? I haven't done any mechanic work since the seventies and things have changed greatly from the independent systems of the 70's to the integrated systems of my 2003? Any assistance or advise from others experiences are greatly appreciated since I'm disabled and on a fixed budget. I tried to download the third gen service manuals from the forum site, and got a 404 page error message. Thank You in advance for your assistance.

OP
OP
marcusrhall57

marcusrhall57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I apologize for posting in the wrong area, Im new to this.

Southernilfarm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
I appreciate your post, as I too need to pull the dash on my 2003 Ram 2500. The heat and AC blend doors are all broken, so I get little utility from that system.

Can't offer assistance on your questions as I've not done the work yet.

Speaking of broken, my dash is all cracked and broken. Did you face the same issues with your dash? And how did you manage those issues?

Thanks
Mike

hrdman2luv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I limped along charging my ac system with a slow leak...I never could find a leak with a freon sniffer. It finally came to a point of a freon smell in the cab, the freon sniffer went crazy in the ac vent in the cab.
I knew what needed to be done. So, I pulled the dash and replaced all the components of the ac distribution box (the blower motor, a broken recirculate blend door, the ac evaporator, the heater core) and put everything back together. I found out you must replace the brake stoplight switch as the old one can't be reused after removal. So, I replaced the brake stoplight switch as my brake warning light and ABS warning lights were lit on the dash. After the brake switch replacement I still have a brake warning light, and the ABS light on... in addition to the speedometer quit working, as well as my top console doesn't light up to show gas mileage, the compass, etc. Can someone point me in the right direction to go next? I haven't done any mechanic work since the seventies and things have changed greatly from the independent systems of the 70's to the integrated systems of my 2003? Any assistance or advise from others experiences are greatly appreciated since I'm disabled and on a fixed budget. I tried to download the third gen service manuals from the forum site, and got a 404 page error message. Thank You in advance for your assistance.

That sounds like quite a task. How long did it take you? I'm about to take on that task. With freon at $10 a can......

As far as your electrical problems go, I'm gonna go with the easy suggestion first. One you've probably already thought of. Fuses and connections are good?
There is a connection by the fuse box under my 2001 Ram 1500, that for some reason, I have to have had to start cleaning and retightening every two or three months. It causes me to lose some of the things you listed, like the speed o. I always know when it's needing attention when I turn the key, and everything does dead. dash lights, no starting, nothing. Sometimes, I loose everything just on the dash and it still turns over. But most of the time, it just clicks once, and goes dead.

hrdman2luv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I appreciate your post, as I too need to pull the dash on my 2003 Ram 2500. The heat and AC blend doors are all broken, so I get little utility from that system.

Can't offer assistance on your questions as I've not done the work yet.

Speaking of broken, my dash is all cracked and broken. Did you face the same issues with your dash? And how did you manage those issues?

Thanks
Mike

Are you just going to do the dash? Or the dash and dash core also? I have to do both. As the lower dash is a mess too.

OP
OP
marcusrhall57

marcusrhall57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That sounds like quite a task. How long did it take you? I'm about to take on that task. With freon at $10 a can......

As far as your electrical problems go, I'm gonna go with the easy suggestion first. One you've probably already thought of. Fuses and connections are good?
There is a connection by the fuse box under my 2001 Ram 1500, that for some reason, I have to have had to start cleaning and retightening every two or three months. It causes me to lose some of the things you listed, like the speed o. I always know when it's needing attention when I turn the key, and everything does dead. dash lights, no starting, nothing. Sometimes, I loose everything just on the dash and it still turns over. But most of the time, it just clicks once, and goes dead.

OP
OP
marcusrhall57

marcusrhall57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m disabled and pulled my dash by myself. A second person will be a god send for you. Not that the dash is heavy but awkward. It took me several weeks working in half hour periods every other day. In my younger days with all parts and refrigerant on hand, I would say three days tops.
You’ll have to disconnect your brake light switch to pull the dash. When you do that you’ll have to replace the brake light switch.
On reassembly I had lost my tach, odometer and speedometer. It turned out to be two bent pins on the multifunctional ignition switch in the steering column. I straightened the pins with some needle nose pliers and reinstalled the old switch and got my speedometer, tach and odometer back. However I lost the ambient thermometer and compass on the overhead readout.
I’m not worried with how hot it is outside, the AC is working great. I’ll worry with the thermometer and compass come winter. I did find out that dodge is very dependent on ground connections. Mine pretty much has a separate ground connection for each module.
I replaced the blend door while in there also, all the actuators seemed okay.
Your going to need torx drivers, 8, 10 and 13mm sockets, a universal for your sockets. The bolts along the bottom of the windshield need the universal to remove. Some electrical contact cleaner and dielectric grease will come in handy also.
Since I’ve done it once I feel pretty confident I could do it again in a few days with a set of helping hands for the lifting. I hope this helps you.
My dash was all cracked up also. It came apart like a jigsaw puzzle, and went back together worse. However, it went back together pretty solid.
I’m going to pick up one of the polycarbonate dash overs, when done, it should be righteous.
I found great prices for the core components at 1aauto.com.

OP
OP
marcusrhall57

marcusrhall57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m disabled and pulled my dash by myself. A second person will be a god send for you. Not that the dash is heavy but awkward. It took me several weeks working in half hour periods every other day. In my younger days with all parts and refrigerant on hand, I would say three days tops.
You’ll have to disconnect your brake light switch to pull the dash. When you do that you’ll have to replace the brake light switch.
On reassembly I had lost my tach, odometer and speedometer. It turned out to be two bent pins on the multifunctional ignition switch in the steering column. I straightened the pins with some needle nose pliers and reinstalled the old switch and got my speedometer, tach and odometer back. However I lost the ambient thermometer and compass on the overhead readout.
I’m not worried with how hot it is outside, the AC is working great. I’ll worry with the thermometer and compass come winter. I did find out that dodge is very dependent on ground connections. Mine pretty much has a separate ground connection for each module.
I replaced the blend door while in there also, all the actuators seemed okay.
Your going to need torx drivers, 8, 10 and 13mm sockets, a universal for your sockets. The bolts along the bottom of the windshield need the universal to remove. Some electrical contact cleaner and dielectric grease will come in handy also.
Since I’ve done it once I feel pretty confident I could do it again in a few days with a set of helping hands for the lifting. I hope this helps you.
it turned out to be bent pins in the multifunctional ignition switch. I straightened them with some needle nose pliers, added a lidielectric grease doe the pins would slide in easier after spraying well with electric contact cleaner. My cracked dash I’ve driven for years with a utilimat carpet cover. Now they have polycarbonate dash covers that you just layover the dash with a little silicone adhesive. That’s my plan.

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
I just want to add for anyone else reading this, that might do a project like this. I have pulled my dash 4 times now and reused the brake light switch everytime with no issues. It can definitely be reused and save your money.

Leeddawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Diesel
I need to pull my dash because my truck has a Freon leak somewhere in the dash. Where is the best manual for directions?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
When you have time to kill, this guy tackles a 2008 Dodge Ram HVAC System
He uses Aluminum doors that go into the box
This video will cover 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram 1500s
& 2003 - 2010 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty models

I think he has 5 Doors instead of 4 Doors

kevkev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thats the video I used. Also, I went to a parts pull place and pulled a box out of a totaled truck and rebuilt it. That saves alot of time when swapping. And removing it from the other truck gives you practice for doing yours.Took me 2-3 hours to swap mine. And I have my old one as a core in case somebody I know needs to do theirs.Also, dont forget to add 1-2 fl ounces of ac oil to your new evaporator core.

Southernilfarm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
I need to pull my dash because my truck has a Freon leak somewhere in the dash. Where is the best manual for directions?
This looks like a good place to start