Pulsar Tuner for 6.4 is available-

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ratket

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What octane are you running?

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The major benefit of a tuner for the Hemi platform is transmission tuning. If the Pulsar doesn't tune the transmission it's not worth the money.

SMuesse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What octane are you running?

Right now I am running just regular 87.

This morning the truck did seem to have settled into its new tuning a little more. But the downshifting on the hills in cruse does seem to be more frequent, which was the main reason I wanted a tuner. I think its just that the truck is more sensitive, if that makes any since. With it set on performance, this thing will launch you back in your seat on take off with just the slightest pedal. But after that as far is just driving down the road or needed to speed up, There really isn't much difference from stock from what I can tell. Now when I need to accelerate even just a little bit when at highway speed, it will downshift. But maybe that is still the transmission learning.

It could also be the crap tuning that is from the Ram recall that screwed up how my truck runs. I hope they have an update for that soon. Even though they say there is no issue and downshifting 33 times in 15 miles is normal. But that's a whole other thread.

I suppose I should have held my thoughts on the Pulsar until I really get some time and miles on it.

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
Have you tried running it in tow mode?
Even without a tune, tow-mode holds gears longer and downshifts much less, could be the perfect combo!

SMuesse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Have you tried running it in tow mode?
Even without a tune, tow-mode holds gears longer and downshifts much less, could be the perfect combo!

I have not tried tow mode since ive had the Pulsar. It never did help to use tow mode in stock.

OP
OP
Ratket

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try a tank of 91 or 93 octane “ what ever the highest you can get is - May make a slight difference, truck could be “ dumbing down” due to low octane

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Right now I am running just regular 87.

This morning the truck did seem to have settled into its new tuning a little more. But the downshifting on the hills in cruse does seem to be more frequent, which was the main reason I wanted a tuner. I think its just that the truck is more sensitive, if that makes any since. With it set on performance, this thing will launch you back in your seat on take off with just the slightest pedal. But after that as far is just driving down the road or needed to speed up, There really isn't much difference from stock from what I can tell. Now when I need to accelerate even just a little bit when at highway speed, it will downshift. But maybe that is still the transmission learning.

It could also be the crap tuning that is from the Ram recall that screwed up how my truck runs. I hope they have an update for that soon. Even though they say there is no issue and downshifting 33 times in 15 miles is normal. But that's a whole other thread.

I suppose I should have held my thoughts on the Pulsar until I really get some time and miles on it.
Try a tank of 91 or 93 octane “ what ever the highest you can get is - May make a slight difference, truck could be “ dumbing down” due to low octane

Yea what he said. I spoke to them and they said you need to run premium at least 91 octane on either of the performance tunes of 7 or 8.

SMuesse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I took it off performance today and have been using Tow with MDS off. I just don't like it how it drives in performance. It makes the accelerator very very sensitive.
Perhaps I am just expecting to much from it. This is my first HD gas truck, I have always had diesels and running tunes on them made a massive difference. The last gas truck I had a tune on was a Silverado 1/2 ton with the 4.8L, it didn't make much difference in that truck either but that was back in 06 and it was a hypertec.

Derek Powers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I took it off performance today and have been using Tow with MDS off. I just don't like it how it drives in performance. It makes the accelerator very very sensitive.
Perhaps I am just expecting to much from it. This is my first HD gas truck, I have always had diesels and running tunes on them made a massive difference. The last gas truck I had a tune on was a Silverado 1/2 ton with the 4.8L, it didn't make much difference in that truck either but that was back in 06 and it was a hypertec.

Diesel tunes can add 100+hp and alot more torque. Cant really compre the two but I understand what you mean.

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Totally different world gas and diesel with tuning etc. Forced induction etc. gives tuners a lot more variables to work with from a tuning perspective when dealing even with purely stock vehicle.

Gassers without much in supporting mods are usually limited to very modest changes. Add well selected typical bolt ons and you might get something notable out of a tune. All about expectations.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As others have said. You can not compare a tuned diesel to a tuned gasser. My last truck was a 6.7 Powerstroke fully deleted, bolt ons, and a tune. Now I have the 6.4 Hemi. So I know where you are coming from. The gasser would need forced induction to get near the power levels we are talking about with a bolt on tuned diesel.

This is my oldwith 37x13.5 tires and not on a race tune

If the throttle is too touchy in performance levels many other customers have added the Pedal Commander. as you go up power levels you go down levels on the PC. They love it! When I eventually do the Pulsar I will be keeping the Pedal Commander to do exactly that. Then when I go down in power levels to tow I will crank up the PC!

SMuesse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I do know the differences and what makes the diesel tuning do what it does. Sorry, I didn't mean to come off like I was trying to do an apples to apples comparison. I was just getting at that I had hoped with all the tech on these trucks now, that tuning would be much better and make bigger differences.
After driving around in Tow MDS off, I do think I notice subtle power gains sometimes. Nothing life changing, just when passing or climbing a hill it seems to do with slightly more ease than before. But if I give it any throttle at all to speed up, it will downshift. In stock I can accelerate slowly to avoid downshifting. I guess if you look at all my threads on this form you might figure out I HATE downshifting when its not really needed. I've had three trucks that downshifted to what I consider to be excessive, this one being my third. If I do not find a way to correct it ill be moving back to diesel eventually.

OP
OP
Ratket

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gears... with a set it will likely hold longer and result in less down shifiting. It’s the one thing that people who have done it swear by, and where Ram missed the Mark by a fckn mile with these trucks. Would cost you a few grand to get it done.

krimax1976rkd0gg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Exodiesel
I noticed that it mentions reprogramming for tire and gear changes on the Edge site. Do you have to have CTS2 or CS2 to make these changes?

SMuesse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well I have put a lot of miles on it over the past couple weeks and can say I can tell a difference. There is a small seat of the pants increase in power. My mileage seems to be up maybe a mile but could be more if I drove it easier. You can really tell when its on the Performance setting but i personally do not like it. It causes the truck to downshift for every single touch of the pedal. If you want to accelerate, it's going to down shift, if you let off the gas to slow down then press the pedal to level off, it downshifts. I keep it in Tow MDS off and it still downshifts quite often but not like it does on Performance. I also do not like how it fits on the truck, I am curious to see of other owners had to bend the AC lines to make it fit. Mine still touches the wire harness to the ac line and that makes me nervous. I also fear with all the downshifting its being really hard on the transmission. Am i happy with it? Not really, but that may be all we can get with the crap tuning that Ram puts on these trucks. If a friend were to ask me if he should buy this for his truck, i would probably say not worth it.

So just to some it up.

Likes: Power Gain, Fuel mileage Gain, and Ease of use through the truck screen.

Dislike: Downshifting, Touchy/Sensitive feeling in Performance mode, Fitment between PCM and AC lines, High price for not really getting much.

OP
OP
Ratket

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What year is ur truck SMuesse?

Derek Powers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The fitment is definitely an issue. Had to bend my lines also.